Author Topic: Antrim Football Thread  (Read 2202741 times)

hardstation

• On a cold and misty morning on the Anagaire bridge
    • View Profile
    • gaaboard.com
Re: Antrim Football Thread
« Reply #15870 on: April 01, 2018, 07:18:50 PM »
Iíve no idea. What you have from one year to the next at juvenile can vary greatly. This didnít come out of the blue. We have been anticipating it long before we won last yearís championship.
Of course, we could have just entered anyway and not fulfilled the majority of our fixtures which a number of clubs struggling for numbers do.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 07:30:20 PM by hardstation »

City Dweller

• View Profile
« Reply #15871 on: April 02, 2018, 10:12:59 AM »
If not playing league football all year then you should not be allowed to enter championship.

If you have players sanctioned to other teams, surely they cant play anyway?

Galer

• View Profile
« Reply #15872 on: April 03, 2018, 12:41:57 PM »
Shouldnt matter when you have 10000 cubs on your doorstep to pick from.

Dunloy realist

• View Profile
« Reply #15873 on: April 04, 2018, 09:00:01 AM »
No. The Rossa team last year had one player sanctioned from another club. We knew it was coming this year. We just had a very small group at this age through the years. It can happen at any time to anyone I suppose. Iím sure we could have got 15 players by playing a pile of lads up a grade. The problem is, as a dual club, the fixtures donít lend themselves well to this and you also then have a cohort of lads who are getting their pan knocked in week in week out. I can see how it is doable for a team like Aghagallon where they would be asking lads to play on 2 teams. Asking lads to play on 3/4 teams in our club each week just to field a minor team is unfair IMO.
Sounds like having won the A championship Rossa didn't want to have a tough year and bowed out - if everyone did that where would that leave us all.....

I dont think thats really fair to say that. we won the minor A and went into the B the following year. Yes we won the league but sure they were beat in the B county final. Should they have been in A? Probably, but the same group at U16 level got hammered each week in the A league and ended up pulling out due to numbers falling.

underage is hard sometimes to gauge until your standing there with the bare bones and no one wants to field for the sake of it and see a bunch of kids getting hammered each week. Does neither team any good.
hurl like f**k boi!

Belfast GAA man

• View Profile
« Reply #15874 on: April 04, 2018, 02:10:16 PM »
No. The Rossa team last year had one player sanctioned from another club. We knew it was coming this year. We just had a very small group at this age through the years. It can happen at any time to anyone I suppose. Iím sure we could have got 15 players by playing a pile of lads up a grade. The problem is, as a dual club, the fixtures donít lend themselves well to this and you also then have a cohort of lads who are getting their pan knocked in week in week out. I can see how it is doable for a team like Aghagallon where they would be asking lads to play on 2 teams. Asking lads to play on 3/4 teams in our club each week just to field a minor team is unfair IMO.
Sounds like having won the A championship Rossa didn't want to have a tough year and bowed out - if everyone did that where would that leave us all.....

I dont think thats really fair to say that. we won the minor A and went into the B the following year. Yes we won the league but sure they were beat in the B county final. Should they have been in A? Probably, but the same group at U16 level got hammered each week in the A league and ended up pulling out due to numbers falling.

underage is hard sometimes to gauge until your standing there with the bare bones and no one wants to field for the sake of it and see a bunch of kids getting hammered each week. Does neither team any good.
In hindsight maybe I was a bit harsh on Rossa. St Brigids are the team to watch from Belfast this year - is it Aghagallon from SW this year? or are Dunloy in with a shout realist?

JimStynes

• View Profile
« Reply #15875 on: April 04, 2018, 02:48:52 PM »
Is Ballymena not the team to beat this year or is that next year?

Dunloy realist

• View Profile
« Reply #15876 on: April 04, 2018, 04:00:04 PM »
yeah this was the year that Ballymena won the feile at U14. it should be that team coming through this year.
hurl like f**k boi!

Dunloy realist

• View Profile
« Reply #15877 on: April 04, 2018, 04:08:48 PM »

In hindsight maybe I was a bit harsh on Rossa. St Brigids are the team to watch from Belfast this year - is it Aghagallon from SW this year? or are Dunloy in with a shout realist?

a few teams have failed to field at minor before - ourselves included there for a few years/ Some times you get a bad year when theres more girls than boys and your left with a weak squad. I would rather see a team play B grade than get beat week after week.

I think we could give it a decent run in the SW but Ballymena, going by the Feile year, were the team to beat then. they have a number of very good players in their ranks. Aghagallon would def look a good prospect with all the lads playing schools football recently. We would be strong this year again in the hurling going for 4 in a row but if Rossa are still all there again they will be strong in it.
hurl like f**k boi!

stiffler

• RIP ONL & THE LADS
    • View Profile
« Reply #15878 on: April 07, 2018, 05:42:30 PM »
Some win for st Ronans.

Well done the aghagallon lads.
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

JimStynes

• View Profile
« Reply #15879 on: April 07, 2018, 06:10:30 PM »
What an achievement and what a proud day for our club. The lads deserve all the plaudits they get over this next few weeks. The best day Iíve ever had in Croke Park.

theskull1

• View Profile
« Reply #15880 on: April 07, 2018, 07:13:38 PM »
Great day for your club Jim. Congrats to the lads themselves and all the men who played a part in their development.
Itís a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Milltown Row2

• It was the Ref that did it!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15881 on: April 07, 2018, 07:36:29 PM »
Great day for your club Jim. Congrats to the lads themselves and all the men who played a part in their development.

Second that Skull, well done to the lads Jim, like I said before, bringing those lads through is the hard  stuff but a great progressive club
Anything I post is not the view of the County Board!! Nobody died in the making of this post ;-)

hardstation

• On a cold and misty morning on the Anagaire bridge
    • View Profile
    • gaaboard.com
« Reply #15882 on: April 07, 2018, 08:19:59 PM »
Fantastic achievement and one those lads will cherish for the rest of their lives.
Could be a catalyst for generating further development in football in the Lurgan area. This will inspire the younger generations in their school and possibly beyond. There could be boys kicking ball at lunchtime on Monday that never kicked one before.

JimStynes

• View Profile
« Reply #15883 on: April 07, 2018, 08:52:14 PM »
It might stop people travelling from Lurgan to St. Colemanís Iím Newry now. Lurgan is a Gaelic mad town and the buzz about the place is unreal. Itíll take years for these lads to realise what they have done. The young ones in our club have some fantastic role models to look up to as well.

stiffler

• RIP ONL & THE LADS
    • View Profile
« Reply #15884 on: April 07, 2018, 09:02:59 PM »
It might stop people travelling from Lurgan to St. Colemanís Iím Newry now. Lurgan is a Gaelic mad town and the buzz about the place is unreal. Itíll take years for these lads to realise what they have done. The young ones in our club have some fantastic role models to look up to as well.

Like yourself and big mert jim. Pillar caffreys.
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009