Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Belfast GAA man

Quote from: hardstation on April 01, 2018, 07:01:53 AM
No. The Rossa team last year had one player sanctioned from another club. We knew it was coming this year. We just had a very small group at this age through the years. It can happen at any time to anyone I suppose. I'm sure we could have got 15 players by playing a pile of lads up a grade. The problem is, as a dual club, the fixtures don't lend themselves well to this and you also then have a cohort of lads who are getting their pan knocked in week in week out. I can see how it is doable for a team like Aghagallon where they would be asking lads to play on 2 teams. Asking lads to play on 3/4 teams in our club each week just to field a minor team is unfair IMO.
Sounds like having won the A championship Rossa didn't want to have a tough year and bowed out - if everyone did that where would that leave us all.....

Belfast GAA man

Quote from: hardstation on April 01, 2018, 06:50:22 PM
Quote from: Belfast GAA man on April 01, 2018, 06:36:13 PM
No. The Rossa team last year had one player sanctioned from another club. We knew it was coming this year. We just had a very small group at this age through the years. It can happen at any time to anyone I suppose. I'm sure we could have got 15 players by playing a pile of lads up a grade. The problem is, as a dual club, the fixtures don't lend themselves well to this and you also then have a cohort of lads who are getting their pan knocked in week in week out. I can see how it is doable for a team like Aghagallon where they would be asking lads to play on 2 teams. Asking lads to play on 3/4 teams in our club each week just to field a minor team is unfair IMO.
Sounds like having won the A championship Rossa didn't want to have a tough year and bowed out - if everyone did that where would that leave us all.....
Sounds like you've invented that it sounds like that to suit your presumed narrative. We've won many A championships and had many tough years so that'd be nothing new.
My only narrative is that i've never heard of a team winning an A Championship one year and not even having a team the next year - this has to be a first

City Dweller

Quote from: CentreHalfBack on March 30, 2018, 04:13:21 PM
If not playing league football all year then you should not be allowed to enter championship.

If you have players sanctioned to other teams, surely they cant play anyway?

Galer

Shouldnt matter when you have 10000 cubs on your doorstep to pick from.

Na Glinntí Glasa

I dont think thats really fair to say that. we won the minor A and went into the B the following year. Yes we won the league but sure they were beat in the B county final. Should they have been in A? Probably, but the same group at U16 level got hammered each week in the A league and ended up pulling out due to numbers falling.

underage is hard sometimes to gauge until your standing there with the bare bones and no one wants to field for the sake of it and see a bunch of kids getting hammered each week. Does neither team any good.
hurl like f**k boi!

Belfast GAA man

Quote from: Dunloy realist on April 04, 2018, 09:00:01 AM

I dont think thats really fair to say that. we won the minor A and went into the B the following year. Yes we won the league but sure they were beat in the B county final. Should they have been in A? Probably, but the same group at U16 level got hammered each week in the A league and ended up pulling out due to numbers falling.

underage is hard sometimes to gauge until your standing there with the bare bones and no one wants to field for the sake of it and see a bunch of kids getting hammered each week. Does neither team any good.
In hindsight maybe I was a bit harsh on Rossa. St Brigids are the team to watch from Belfast this year - is it Aghagallon from SW this year? or are Dunloy in with a shout realist?

JimStynes

Is Ballymena not the team to beat this year or is that next year?

Na Glinntí Glasa

yeah this was the year that Ballymena won the feile at U14. it should be that team coming through this year.
hurl like f**k boi!

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: Belfast GAA man on April 04, 2018, 02:10:16 PM
Quote from: Dunloy realist on April 04, 2018, 09:00:01 AM

In hindsight maybe I was a bit harsh on Rossa. St Brigids are the team to watch from Belfast this year - is it Aghagallon from SW this year? or are Dunloy in with a shout realist?

a few teams have failed to field at minor before - ourselves included there for a few years/ Some times you get a bad year when theres more girls than boys and your left with a weak squad. I would rather see a team play B grade than get beat week after week.

I think we could give it a decent run in the SW but Ballymena, going by the Feile year, were the team to beat then. they have a number of very good players in their ranks. Aghagallon would def look a good prospect with all the lads playing schools football recently. We would be strong this year again in the hurling going for 4 in a row but if Rossa are still all there again they will be strong in it.
hurl like f**k boi!

stiffler

Some win for st Ronans.

Well done the aghagallon lads.
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

JimStynes

What an achievement and what a proud day for our club. The lads deserve all the plaudits they get over this next few weeks. The best day I've ever had in Croke Park.

theskull1

Great day for your club Jim. Congrats to the lads themselves and all the men who played a part in their development.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Milltown Row2

Quote from: theskull1 on April 07, 2018, 07:13:38 PM
Great day for your club Jim. Congrats to the lads themselves and all the men who played a part in their development.

Second that Skull, well done to the lads Jim, like I said before, bringing those lads through is the hard  stuff but a great progressive club
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

JimStynes

It might stop people travelling from Lurgan to St. Coleman's I'm Newry now. Lurgan is a Gaelic mad town and the buzz about the place is unreal. It'll take years for these lads to realise what they have done. The young ones in our club have some fantastic role models to look up to as well.

stiffler

Quote from: JimStynes on April 07, 2018, 08:52:14 PM
It might stop people travelling from Lurgan to St. Coleman's I'm Newry now. Lurgan is a Gaelic mad town and the buzz about the place is unreal. It'll take years for these lads to realise what they have done. The young ones in our club have some fantastic role models to look up to as well.

Like yourself and big mert jim. Pillar caffreys.
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009