Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sportacus

I think they might have been in Div 2 of South West for some reason in their U16 year and there was a bit of a row because they won the SW Championship Breslin Cup, but the SW puts it's League 1 winner through to the All County Final so they couldn't get a crack at it. 
They won the Feile B at U14 as well. 
In fact they are an interesting example of a team who played a lot of Div 2 football at underage and developed slowly but surely, and now a fair chunk of them are about to play in Croke Park in the Hogan Cup Final - all in key positions.  Just goes to show there's no need for all the drama if you lose an U12 match!

Belfast GAA man

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 29, 2018, 08:43:57 PM
Are they favourites for the minor title? I can't recall but don't think they won u16?

(On that note I don't even know if u18 exists any more in a club context... does it?)
Yes club is still u16 and u18 and makes sense for the club game IMO

imtommygunn

Yeah i would agree with that belfast man.

Cheers sportacus. Not sure what age , or who, decides those divisions as there was only one division when i played.

Flanker

Quote from: playwiththewind1st on March 29, 2018, 08:51:43 PM
Age levels & structure? Black card rule? Casement reopening? The GAA is a total mystery nowadays.
[/quote
Sportacus I think the current year group have always been A. Even though they won feile B they were in the A league. In SW if you get beat in first round of feile you then move into the B competition. The current year group has improved year on year. This year group also includes Ballymena who won all Ireland feile A completion.  Aghagallon have got closer to them as time has progressed. Cargin however beat Ballymena in SW U16 league final for this year group. Cargin were then beaten by St Brigids in U16s county final. It is a strong competive year group with the 4 teams mentioned  above probably the 4 contenders for Minor championship. Not sure how many of the Aghagallon McCrory winners are still minor. Hats of to them though. As a club they have been moving forward year on year in all age groups

country bumpkin

Quote from: Sportacus on March 29, 2018, 08:58:19 PM
I think they might have been in Div 2 of South West for some reason in their U16 year and there was a bit of a row because they won the SW Championship Breslin Cup, but the SW puts it's League 1 winner through to the All County Final so they couldn't get a crack at it. 
They won the Feile B at U14 as well. 
In fact they are an interesting example of a team who played a lot of Div 2 football at underage and developed slowly but surely, and now a fair chunk of them are about to play in Croke Park in the Hogan Cup Final - all in key positions.  Just goes to show there's no need for all the drama if you lose an U12 match!
Cargin won SW under-16 two years back beating a very good All Saint's in the final (think Aghagallon in semi).
Brigid's beat Cargin in the under-16 final.

theskull1

See Rossa don't appear to be fielding at minor this year. They played All Saints in the feile final back at U14 didn't they?
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

JimStynes

Quote from: theskull1 on March 30, 2018, 09:38:01 AM
See Rossa don't appear to be fielding at minor this year. They played All Saints in the feile final back at U14 didn't they?

How is that possible with a club like Rossa, especially since they have been doing so well at underage recently.

imtommygunn

St brigids won u16 last year too. Seem quite strong round that age group.

JimStynes

St Brigid's will be hard to stop in a few years. Seem to have good underage teams coming through consistently now. They used to rely on the transfer market but are now producing their own players.

JimStynes

Quote from: hardstation on March 30, 2018, 11:27:40 AM
Quote from: JimStynes on March 30, 2018, 11:21:54 AM

How is that possible with a club like Rossa, especially since they have been doing so well at underage recently.
We always struggled for numbers at this age group and were barely getting a team together over the years. Just a small batch really.

Surely you can find 15 players. Our u16 group from last year was always a struggle and we had to go to play teams with 13 players at times. This years team has about 30 players!

CentreHalfBack

If not playing league football all year then you should not be allowed to enter championship.

New season - new reason

theskull1

The goodun's away to St Bridgets then HS?
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

stiffler

Last years minor winners unable to field this year. That's a crazy stat.
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

Mickey Linden

Rossa team last year was from a few different clubs i think. Not sure how it all works to be honest in the city

country bumpkin

Watched under-17s v Donegal yesterday and the difference in preparation and set-up is all to obvious.
Takes a huge leap of faith or a large dollop of optimism to envisage a bright future...