Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bannside

Look none of these guys are bad footballers and the fact that we are discussing them at all backs that up. Cahir dosent know Antrim Football remotely like we do so let's not get carried away.

Tony Scullion played at RHB under 5 different managers so they cant all be wrong. And 15 years at Cargin in the same position. I think 90 % of readers here would have him in there.

Colm Brady a great servant and a super corner back, but not a recognised full back. I saw Tony Convery go toe to toe three times and break even minimum or come out on top of the peerless Enda Muldoon who Cahir picked on his Derry select. It was Tony or Martin Mulholland for me.

James Loughrey the greatest attacking no 7 we have seen possibly ever gets a sop vote at number 2. Just emphasises how far O Kane is away so no point in getting worked up. We know ourselves who's there or thereabouts.

Rodger Mona

MR2 i hope you are a better ref than you are an analyst.

Again glad to see BS putting a bit or perspective within this group. Always very levelled headed with his comments.

But in all seriousness what has Cranfield been smoking to say Marty Johnston has always dominated Michael? Your heart in them games must have made you lose your vision. Two good players but at different levels. Though for Spike to come out and say Creggan havnt produced a player as last 20 years is totally disingenuous, i couldnt agree with that. He clearly doesnt remember guys like Mulholland, McKeown or Lee Johnston

Cranfield

I'm only going by what I saw in a few games  :-X

Really not sure what Mulholland you are referring to?

Never mind Marty & Mick RM, surely you cannot deny that anytime Ricky marks CJ he never handles it?  ;)

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Rodger Mona on December 13, 2019, 09:26:38 AM

Again glad to see BS putting a bit or perspective within this group. Always very levelled headed with his comments.

But in all seriousness what has Cranfield been smoking to say Marty Johnston has always dominated Michael? Your heart in them games must have made you lose your vision. Two good players but at different levels. Though for Spike to come out and say Creggan havnt produced a player as last 20 years is totally disingenuous, i couldnt agree with that. He clearly doesnt remember guys like Mulholland, McKeown or Lee Johnston

In the past 20 years for Antrim has there been better halfbacks that Crozier, Kelly and Loughrey?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Rodger Mona

MR2 are u talking about them three in an antrim jersey or a club jersey

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Rodger Mona on December 13, 2019, 11:24:29 AM
MR2 are u talking about them three in an antrim jersey or a club jersey

Both, again it's my opinion, I've watched enough games with these players to have an opinion
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Cranfield

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 13, 2019, 11:15:21 AM
Quote from: Rodger Mona on December 13, 2019, 09:26:38 AM

In the past 20 years for Antrim has there been better halfbacks that Crozier, Kelly and Loughrey?

No I don't believe there has been

imtommygunn

Quote from: Cranfield on December 13, 2019, 10:45:25 AM
I'm only going by what I saw in a few games  :-X

Really not sure what Mulholland you are referring to?

Never mind Marty & Mick RM, surely you cannot deny that anytime Ricky marks CJ he never handles it?  ;)

He's not from Creggan - Glenravel.

Loughshore Green

Quote from: Spike on December 12, 2019, 04:00:33 PM
'Marty J is another player who has dominated Mick McCann anytime they have met'

Jesus wept.

Marty J a decent player but no were that calibre of Mick McCann....not even on the same spectrum. Some garbage posted here atm

bannside

More importantly, the recent launch of the county's new strategic plan for the next 3 years was launched last week. Good bit of work and plenty of ambition, proper timescales and action plans.

A good road map for Antrim Gaa and one that should allow the county to attract appropriate sponsorship etc. Let's make it work.

Belfast GAA man

Quote from: bannside on December 16, 2019, 07:47:19 PM
More importantly, the recent launch of the county's new strategic plan for the next 3 years was launched last week. Good bit of work and plenty of ambition, proper timescales and action plans.

A good road map for Antrim Gaa and one that should allow the county to attract appropriate sponsorship etc. Let's make it work.
Had a read of it there on county web and all seems a bit standard but welcome. What are the pieces that excite you BS?

Rodger Mona

Proof will be in the pudding. Have set themselves alot of big targets and if they achieve the half of them by the dates set i applaud them as it will be some achievement.

McCavanna doing a really good job with a great team behind him. Though something not within the document i wish they had put in, was improving the level of the refereeing within our county. Alot of really good and young refs which are welcomed but there are a few who even in terms of fitness cannot keep up with the play and a few others who clearly havent played the game and lack the common sense of how to implement the rules in certain scenarios and a few wee hitlers who cant seem to tell the time. I think if we invested more in our referees and had a level of consistency across the board then the standard of the football would go up, and coaches would be able to train their players accordingly. 

bannside

Any strategic plan is only as good as the people involved willing to work hard to achieve it. Its success will be totally down to the work rate and goodwill of many other components, clubs schools divisional boards etc, so it's up to all of us to do what we can to facilitate it.

I've been part and parcel of these things before on various county sub committees over the years and what I now know is that it's not how fancy the plan is, but how tightly it is actually measured against performance and timescales.

Our county board has a can do attitude atm which should be welcomed so theres a good chance we will see a lot of the plan being implemented, but again it should be highlighted it's not the boards plan....its our plan....put in place by representatives of our clubs. Question now is what can you do to assist it?

bannside

The bit that excites me most is the plan to install a director of football. That is a key position. Whilst I'm sure the role isnt remotely defined atm it means that at long last some joined up thinking and action plans can evolve, something badly missing for a long time.

Player development journey is crucial to this....sourcing and identifying elite potential at an early age, harnessing that and bringing said talent through to optimum level. At the minute far too many are slipping the net from 14 - 20, much more pro rata than most other counties imo.

And I'd be interested in this Academy that's mentioned. That's potentially very interesting.

Look we have all the facilities in the world on our doorstep. We just need to put the structure in place to get the benefit from them.

bannside

Referees are the lifeblood of the association RM as we all know. I'm in favour of remunerating them adequately.....i really struggle to see the sustainability of most form of volunteer, but especially refereeing,  as we edge closer to an "I do nothing for free - my time is too precious" society! At the same time they would be subject to to performance scrutiny including fitness etc. In short...the whole spectrum of referring could be taken to a higher level. I mean if the association can pay fat cat officials 85p a mile to go watch a match and then treat themselves to a big steak dinner, well it's only fair refs are treated better in my view.