Author Topic: Antrim Football Thread  (Read 2321574 times)

imtommygunn

• View Profile
Re: Antrim Football Thread
« Reply #15855 on: March 30, 2018, 11:34:43 AM »
St brigids won u16 last year too. Seem quite strong round that age group.

JimStynes

• View Profile
« Reply #15856 on: March 30, 2018, 11:55:15 AM »
St Brigidís will be hard to stop in a few years. Seem to have good underage teams coming through consistently now. They used to rely on the transfer market but are now producing their own players.

JimStynes

• View Profile
« Reply #15857 on: March 30, 2018, 11:57:23 AM »
See Rossa don't appear to be fielding at minor this year. They played All Saints in the feile final back at U14 didn't they?

How is that possible with a club like Rossa, especially since they have been doing so well at underage recently.
We always struggled for numbers at this age group and were barely getting a team together over the years. Just a small batch really.

Surely you can find 15 players. Our u16 group from last year was always a struggle and we had to go to play teams with 13 players at times. This years team has about 30 players!

hardstation

• On a cold and misty morning on the Anagaire bridge
    • View Profile
    • gaaboard.com
« Reply #15858 on: March 30, 2018, 12:17:22 PM »
See Rossa don't appear to be fielding at minor this year. They played All Saints in the feile final back at U14 didn't they?

How is that possible with a club like Rossa, especially since they have been doing so well at underage recently.
We always struggled for numbers at this age group and were barely getting a team together over the years. Just a small batch really.

Surely you can find 15 players. Our u16 group from last year was always a struggle and we had to go to play teams with 13 players at times. This years team has about 30 players!
Seemingly not.

CentreHalfBack

• View Profile
« Reply #15859 on: March 30, 2018, 04:13:21 PM »
If not playing league football all year then you should not be allowed to enter championship.

New season - new reason

hardstation

• View Profile
    • gaaboard.com
« Reply #15860 on: March 30, 2018, 04:40:01 PM »
Donít think they intend to. Some of our players have been sanctioned to other clubs as far as I know.

theskull1

• View Profile
« Reply #15861 on: March 30, 2018, 04:43:53 PM »
The goodun's away to St Bridgets then HS?
Itís a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

hardstation

• View Profile
    • gaaboard.com
« Reply #15862 on: March 30, 2018, 04:45:02 PM »
The goodun's away to St Bridgets then HS?
Lamh Dhearg I heard.

stiffler

• RIP ONL & THE LADS
    • View Profile
« Reply #15863 on: March 31, 2018, 12:02:27 AM »

Last years minor winners unable to field this year. Thatís a crazy stat.
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

Mickey Linden

• View Profile
« Reply #15864 on: March 31, 2018, 11:45:59 PM »
Rossa team last year was from a few different clubs i think. Not sure how it all works to be honest in the city

hardstation

• View Profile
    • gaaboard.com
« Reply #15865 on: April 01, 2018, 07:01:53 AM »
No. The Rossa team last year had one player sanctioned from another club. We knew it was coming this year. We just had a very small group at this age through the years. It can happen at any time to anyone I suppose. Iím sure we could have got 15 players by playing a pile of lads up a grade. The problem is, as a dual club, the fixtures donít lend themselves well to this and you also then have a cohort of lads who are getting their pan knocked in week in week out. I can see how it is doable for a team like Aghagallon where they would be asking lads to play on 2 teams. Asking lads to play on 3/4 teams in our club each week just to field a minor team is unfair IMO.

country bumpkin

• View Profile
« Reply #15866 on: April 01, 2018, 01:44:45 PM »
Watched under-17s v Donegal yesterday and the difference in preparation and set-up is all to obvious.
Takes a huge leap of faith or a large dollop of optimism to envisage a bright future...

Belfast GAA man

• View Profile
« Reply #15867 on: April 01, 2018, 06:36:13 PM »
No. The Rossa team last year had one player sanctioned from another club. We knew it was coming this year. We just had a very small group at this age through the years. It can happen at any time to anyone I suppose. Iím sure we could have got 15 players by playing a pile of lads up a grade. The problem is, as a dual club, the fixtures donít lend themselves well to this and you also then have a cohort of lads who are getting their pan knocked in week in week out. I can see how it is doable for a team like Aghagallon where they would be asking lads to play on 2 teams. Asking lads to play on 3/4 teams in our club each week just to field a minor team is unfair IMO.
Sounds like having won the A championship Rossa didn't want to have a tough year and bowed out - if everyone did that where would that leave us all.....

hardstation

• View Profile
    • gaaboard.com
« Reply #15868 on: April 01, 2018, 06:50:22 PM »
Sounds like having won the A championship Rossa didn't want to have a tough year and bowed out - if everyone did that where would that leave us all.....
Sounds like youíve invented that it sounds like that to suit your presumed narrative. Weíve won many A championships and had many tough years so thatíd be nothing new.

Belfast GAA man

• View Profile
« Reply #15869 on: April 01, 2018, 07:13:41 PM »
Sounds like youíve invented that it sounds like that to suit your presumed narrative. Weíve won many A championships and had many tough years so thatíd be nothing new.
My only narrative is that i've never heard of a team winning an A Championship one year and not even having a team the next year - this has to be a first