26 County General Election 2020

Started by Snapchap, January 09, 2020, 06:52:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What will be makeup of the next government?

FF/SD/Lab/Green
FG/SD/Lab/Green
FG/FF
FF/Green
FG/Independents
FG/Independents
FG/Green
FF/SF
FF/Green/Independents
FF Minority
FG Minority
FG/SF
FF/Lab/Green
FF/Lab
FF/Lab/Green/Independents

five points

Quote from: Angelo on February 14, 2020, 03:35:36 PM
I'd need to suffer one first to take it.

Give it another go sure.

You're done.

Itchy

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on February 14, 2020, 03:01:01 PM
Quote from: Angelo on February 14, 2020, 02:54:29 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on February 14, 2020, 02:53:00 PM
Angelo give up.

You'd like that.

Actually no. Im enjoying you. You are some craic hi. Baa! Baa! Baa!

Lad you are clearly a sheep on the other side. A sheep in the field Baa Baaing at the sheep in the next field perhaps.

Angelo

Quote from: five points on February 14, 2020, 03:40:32 PM
Quote from: Angelo on February 14, 2020, 03:35:36 PM
I'd need to suffer one first to take it.

Give it another go sure.

You're done.

Another swing and another miss.

Must be tough being so eager but lacking what it takes.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

weareros

So now we have:

Mary Lou calling on all parties not to go into coalition with Fianna Fail/FG, while herself trying to go into coalition with Fianna Fail.

Leo fighting hard to go into the opposition benches while Micheal Martin fighting hard to keep him on the government benches.

Mad stuff, Ted.

Rossfan

Meanwhile the new floot Bozo has appointed to the North says there won't be any checks on goods from GB to the 6 Cos and no border down the Irish Sea.
If ever we needed a stable Government it's this year with those C***s about to renege on every agreement they've made with the EU.
Only way we'll get that is by 2 of the 3 big parties coming together.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

mouview

Quote from: Rossfan on February 14, 2020, 06:22:13 PM
Meanwhile the new floot Bozo has appointed to the North says there won't be any checks on goods from GB to the 6 Cos and no border down the Irish Sea.
If ever we needed a stable Government it's this year with those C***s about to renege on every agreement they've made with the EU.
Only way we'll get that is by 2 of the 3 big parties coming together.

There'll be more than 1% interest in Brexit at the next election.

Snapchap

Quote from: five points on February 14, 2020, 01:45:56 PM
Quote from: Angelo on February 14, 2020, 01:36:08 PM

The Stardust Fire is one of the biggest injustices to happen in the state. Hardly a dickeybird about it in the past decade.
Maybe you're too young.

It was one of the biggest stories of the 80s.  Christy Moore wrote a song about it. There was a Tribunal. But before even that there was a forest of writing about it, including books.

Ditto but to lesser extent the Dublin Monaghan bombings.

There wasn't a dickybird about Mary Boyle - from an investigative journalist class that were (usually correctly) gunning for the Gardai and the authorities that interacted with them.

It's a rotten state but your staged outrage is quite easily exposed.
I'm not in the slightest bit outraged here. I think you may be.

Not sure what you are trying to say about the extent of state interest in the Dublin Monaghan bombings, but from reading this discussion it seems like you are contesting the notion that the state has been covering it up/have shown scant interest in the case. Which would be a grossly misinformed argument.

Despite it being the single biggest mass murder of the troubes north or south and the largest mass murder in the history of the state, the FG/Lab government was found by the Barron Report to have had "little or no interest" in it. The Gardai wound up its special investigation unit for the bombings within 8 weeks of the attack and 'lost' vast amounts of evidence. The Justice Department also refused to offer any documents to Barron and according to Barron, the Department's files on it were "missing in their entirety". Even after the RUC said they had a number of suspects, the Gardai did not even ask for their names. This was covered up because they knew it was carried out by loyalists directed by the british state. It was better for them to deny the families truth/justice than allow, in the words of the Barron Report, "publicity which might have led to an increase in popular support for the IRA" by confirming loyalist and British state collusion. The very day after the bombing, ministers in the Dáil made statements attempting to pin responsibility on the IRA.

five points

Quote from: Snapchap on February 17, 2020, 06:44:22 AM

The Stardust Fire is one of the biggest injustices to happen in the state. Hardly a dickeybird about it in the past decade.
Maybe you're too young.

It was one of the biggest stories of the 80s.  Christy Moore wrote a song about it. There was a Tribunal. But before even that there was a forest of writing about it, including books.

There wasn't a dickybird about Mary Boyle - from an investigative journalist class that were (usually correctly) gunning for the Gardai and the authorities that interacted with them.

Not sure what you are trying to say about the extent of state interest in the Dublin Monaghan bombings, but from reading this discussion it seems like you are contesting the notion that the state has been covering it up/have shown scant interest in the case. Which would be a grossly misinformed argument.

I never made that argument.  Or anything like it.

You can read as easily as anyone else. Try it.

Snapchap

Quote from: five points on February 17, 2020, 08:15:40 AM
Quote from: Snapchap on February 17, 2020, 06:44:22 AM

Maybe you're too young.

I never made that argument.  Or anything like it.

You can read as easily as anyone else. Try it.

Safe to assume then that you accept the state covered up the Dublin/Monaghan bombings and that your contention is solely media focused. Perhaps then you can point me to the last time there was a concerted effort by the media to aid the families of this attack in a way comparable to their interest in any number of IRA attacks? You said there "massive publicity, media coverage and investigation" by Irish journalists into incidents that included the Dublin/Monaghan bombings. The first serious bit of media investigation into that atrocity and the first one to produce evidence of collusion, was carried out almost twenty years after the attacks and not by the Irish media, but by a Leeds University in association with Yorkshire Television ('Hidden Hand: The Forgotten Massacre'). It was the first media investigation to show that that the short lived Garda investigation had identified eight key suspects, picked out by eye witnesses from photographs (and twelve more from intelligence) while FG/Lab politicians were continually telling victims' relatives that there were no suspects. This discussion originated around questioning why SF are given a more serious grilling by the media about specific instances from the past than other parties are regarding ghosts in their closets. I have yet to see any sustained Irish media campaign specifically aimed at FG/Labour for their role in covering up Dublin/Monaghan and nor have I heard it put to them by the media even once, let alone repeatedly, during any recent election campaigns.

five points

Quote from: Snapchap on February 17, 2020, 08:48:48 AM

Safe to assume then that you accept the state covered up the Dublin/Monaghan bombings and that your contention is solely media focused...

I'm not getting into any discussion with you on the basis of any false premise, least of all your attempt to maliciously misrepresent my earlier comments. If anyone else wishes to do, the floor is open but I won't be joining in.

TyroneOnlooker

If anybody needs any reminding why a large proportion of the population still have an issue with sinn fein being involved in government then they should watch Lost Lives which was on BBC1NI last night.

Rossfan

Didn't see that but the FG/Labour Government 1973 -77 didnt plant the  Dublin/Monaghan Bombs or murder poor  Mary Boyle.
Anyway SF or FF or FG won't be able to form a Government so some 2 of them will have to come together in the end if we're to avoid another election.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

balladmaker

Quote from: Rossfan on February 17, 2020, 10:04:20 AM
Didn't see that but the FG/Labour Government 1973 -77 didnt plant the  Dublin/Monaghan Bombs or murder poor  Mary Boyle.
Anyway SF or FF or FG won't be able to form a Government so some 2 of them will have to come together in the end if we're to avoid another election.

Would another election be such a bad thing.  There's been an obvious swing to the left in recent election ... SF didnt run enough candidates .... if they had they'd have been on 47 or 48 seats now and much closer to government formation .... surely there's a case for letting that swing to the left to be fully heard.

Snapchap

Quote from: five points on February 17, 2020, 09:46:15 AM
Quote from: Snapchap on February 17, 2020, 08:48:48 AM

Safe to assume then that you accept the state covered up the Dublin/Monaghan bombings and that your contention is solely media focused...

I'm not getting into any discussion with you on the basis of any false premise, least of all your attempt to maliciously misrepresent my earlier comments. If anyone else wishes to do, the floor is open but I won't be joining in.

My initial reply to you suggested that you were contesting the notion that the state helped cover up the Dublin/Monaghan bombings. You retorted with a sarcastic reply making it clear that you "never made that argument or anything like it". So then based on your denial, when I say I assume then you obviously do then accept there was a cover up, you're still suggesting that is a "false premise". Make up your mind. Was there a state cover up in your eyes or was there not?

The state cover up issue aside, the bulk of my last post was a reply to you, based on your own comments (directly quoted), specifically surrounding the media's coverage of the Dublin/Monaghan bombing. You not so much implied as directly stated, that the Dublin/Monaghan bombing was one event that has seen "massive publicity, media coverage and investigation" by Irish media. That is not a "malicious misrepresentation" of what you said. I am merely putting it to you that your impression of a "massive" media interest is utter fantasy.

five points

Quote from: Snapchap on February 17, 2020, 10:46:21 AM

My initial reply to you suggested that you were contesting the notion that the state helped cover up the Dublin/Monaghan bombings. You retorted with a sarcastic reply making it clear that you "never made that argument or anything like it". So then based on your denial, when I say I assume then you obviously do then accept there was a cover up, you're still suggesting that is a "false premise". Make up your mind. Was there a state cover up in your eyes or was there not?

Neither sarcastic nor a denial, but factual comment in both instances. See what I mean about false premises. As previously, I won't be debating with you so please go troll someone else.