Is this fair, just damn greedy or a missed opportunity?

Started by Dinny Breen, June 10, 2009, 08:52:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinny Breen

QuoteTHE Leinster Council have devised a plan to help maximise the massive earning power of the Dublin's footballers, while also helping to avoid a major ticket scramble ahead of the provincial semi-finals.

The Leinster SFC semi-finals were originally scheduled as a double-header in Croke Park on June 28.

Dublin demonstrated their extraordinary pulling power by attracting 75,250 to their opening championship clash with Meath last weekend, more than double the 32,204 crowd who travelled to the Munster football semi-final between Cork and Kerry in Killarney last Sunday.

And that huge opening crowd immediately raised fears about a stampede for tickets for the Leinster semi-finals, where either Kildare or Wexford are due to play Laois or Louth and Dublin face the winners of Wicklow/Westmeath.

With expectations particularly high among Lilywhite fans this summer, their involvement in a double-header would only have exacerbated the problem.

So, the Leinster Council have provisionally arranged that if Kildare qualify, their semi-final will be taken out of Croke Park and the Dublin semi-final will be left there as a stand-alone game.

Firstly I don't care where the Kildare game is played, if we beat Wexford and that's a big bloody if, so this is all just speculation but if we do beat Wexford then you risk the possiblity of Dublin been in the Leinster Final have playing their third game in a row there whereas there possible opponents (KE, LS, LH) will be playing their first game in Croker this season, no matter what anyone says that is giving Dublin an advantage. Anyhow my main point is that the Leinster Council could be missing a fantastic opportunity to promote their games, a 82K sell-out with a mad scramble for tickets is always great copy for the papers, lets be honest anyone who deserves a ticket will get one but ticket fever always gives a great buzz in a county as it generally the first thing people talk about when they meet up. The Leinster Council imho are just been greedy and that won't reflect well in Kildare, Laois or Louth if Kildare manage to beat Wexford.

#newbridgeornowhere

Gnevin

Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 10, 2009, 08:52:13 AM

QuoteTHE Leinster Council have devised a plan to help maximise the massive earning power of the Dublin's footballers, while also helping to avoid a major ticket scramble ahead of the provincial semi-finals.

The Leinster SFC semi-finals were originally scheduled as a double-header in Croke Park on June 28.

Dublin demonstrated their extraordinary pulling power by attracting 75,250 to their opening championship clash with Meath last weekend, more than double the 32,204 crowd who travelled to the Munster football semi-final between Cork and Kerry in Killarney last Sunday.

And that huge opening crowd immediately raised fears about a stampede for tickets for the Leinster semi-finals, where either Kildare or Wexford are due to play Laois or Louth and Dublin face the winners of Wicklow/Westmeath.

With expectations particularly high among Lilywhite fans this summer, their involvement in a double-header would only have exacerbated the problem.

So, the Leinster Council have provisionally arranged that if Kildare qualify, their semi-final will be taken out of Croke Park and the Dublin semi-final will be left there as a stand-alone game.

Firstly I don't care where the Kildare game is played, if we beat Wexford and that's a big bloody if, so this is all just speculation but if we do beat Wexford then you risk the possiblity of Dublin been in the Leinster Final have playing their third game in a row there whereas there possible opponents (KE, LS, LH) will be playing their first game in Croker this season, no matter what anyone says that is giving Dublin an advantage. Anyhow my main point is that the Leinster Council could be missing a fantastic opportunity to promote their games, a 82K sell-out with a mad scramble for tickets is always great copy for the papers, lets be honest anyone who deserves a ticket will get one but ticket fever always gives a great buzz in a county as it generally the first thing people talk about when they meet up. The Leinster Council imho are just been greedy and that won't reflect well in Kildare, Laois or Louth if Kildare manage to beat Wexford.

Hasn't been much of a advantage for the last 14 years .  The LC are right to try maximise the crowd but perhaps the Kildare game should go down a double header with a Hurling semi.
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Dinny Breen

QuoteHasn't been much of a advantage for the last 14 years

When was the last time Dublin played a Leinster final against an opponent that previously played all their Leinster Championship games outside Croke Park? When was the last time a Leinster football semi was played other than in Croke Park? This is about Leinster football not the All-Ireland series.

Why are they right to maximise the crowd, a Dublin stand alone semi against Wicklow/Westmeath will not be a sellout. A Kildare v Laois/Louth in Carlow/Navan would maybe attract 15K, I'd be surprised if the combined attendance hit 80K.
#newbridgeornowhere

Gnevin

Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 10, 2009, 09:08:26 AM
QuoteHasn't been much of a advantage for the last 14 years

When was the last time Dublin played a Leinster final against an opponent that previously played all their Leinster Championship games outside Croke Park? When was the last time a Leinster football semi was played other than in Croke Park? This is about Leinster football not the All-Ireland series.

Why are they right to maximise the crowd, a Dublin stand alone semi against Wicklow/Westmeath will not be a sellout. A Kildare v Laois/Louth in Carlow/Navan would maybe attract 15K, I'd be surprised if the combined attendance hit 80K.
Your only making it about the Leinster just to exclude my point . If your good enough you will beat Dublin . They the LC are saying Kildare/Laois or Louth will be looking for 15-20k tickets each.

Playing every game in Croker in 2006 wasn't much help to Offaly.
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Dinny Breen

It's about Leinster football and the Leinster Council, the All-Ireland is in effect a separate entity.

If you're good enough is just a cliche and a ridiculous assertion, sport at any level can be about margins, why do you think home advantage in any sport is so important?

To re-iterate I actually would believe Kildare have a better chance playing a semi in Navan/Carlow but I'm sure the players, management from K,LS or LH would like a game in Croker before they took on the might of the Dubs, the Leinster Council have an opportunity to the level the playing field, an opportunity that does not exist in the All-Ireland series but no they would sooner not promote their games and take the money instead.
#newbridgeornowhere

Gnevin

Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 10, 2009, 09:29:20 AM
It's about Leinster football and the Leinster Council, the All-Ireland is in effect a separate entity.

If you're good enough is just a cliche and a ridiculous assertion, sport at any level can be about margins, why do you think home advantage in any sport is so important?

To re-iterate I actually would believe Kildare have a better chance playing a semi in Navan/Carlow but I'm sure the players, management from K,LS or LH would like a game in Croker before they took on the might of the Dubs, the Leinster Council have an opportunity to the level the playing field, an opportunity that does not exist in the All-Ireland series but no they would sooner not promote their games and take the money instead.
Are more bums on seats promoting the game?  I agree time should be found in Croker for the other semi or have a double header. Why whats the point in a Dublin header if 1'000s of people can't get in the door how is that promoting the game?

tyronefan

playing on your home pitch (and Croke Park is Dublins home pitch) is always worth a few points, the fact that sometimes Dublin are not able to make these count doesn't mean that its not an advantage

Having said that I would rather see 2 stand alone fixtures where all who want tickets can get them

Dinny Breen

I believe the combined attendance of two stand alone fixtures would be less. Having the fixture played on the same day creates demand and all of a sudden the Leinster semi-finals become the hottest ticket in the province, sparking huge interest in the GAA and if the semi-final pairings do feature Kildare I would actually put the Leinster final tickets at a discount up for sale prior to the semi-finals been played ensuring possible another sell-out for the final.
#newbridgeornowhere

Gnevin

Quote from: tyronefan on June 10, 2009, 09:37:25 AM
playing on your home pitch (and Croke Park is Dublins home pitch) is always worth a few points, the fact that sometimes Dublin are not able to make these count doesn't mean that its not an advantage

Having said that I would rather see 2 stand alone fixtures where all who want tickets can get them

When do we get the cut from renting out our home pitch every week from June to September?

eireogatron

Quote from: tyronefan on June 10, 2009, 09:37:25 AM

is Parnell Park not Dublins home pitch? Croke Park is the whole associations pitch that just happens to be in Dublin. ;) ;D

meathie

Yea I think its abit disheartening for the other teams who were looking forwad to a day in Crokers. I dont really think its fair to change just because of one team. ON saying that if they can sell out Croke Park on a stand alone and closely sell  out another venue in the country on the same day then of course, it makes sense for the GAA. Can someone explain why they say if Kildare qualify? Does that mean that if Wexford won they will stick to the original plan??

magpie seanie

Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 10, 2009, 08:52:13 AM

I think Dinny is right, it should go ahead as a double header. With Dublin not being great the last day their bandwagon aint rolling yet and if anything will pull less of their own supporters than for the Meath game. Would Kildare match Meaths numbers - possibly for a game in Croker against Dublin but not for anyone else. That would leave circa 15000 tickets for the other two counties. Tight maybe but not too many would be disappointed. A packed house would be great.

Those running down the advantage/disadvantage of getting a run out at Croker before a provincial final are either clueless or mischievous.

Hound

I agree with most of what Dinny said bar the "those who deserve tickets will get tickets" nonsense. This is about encouraging people to become fans, and turning away one person who wants to go at this stage of the championship is bad when capacity is potentially there.

If Kildare beat Wexford, I think the best solution would be to have two Croke Park double bills. The Kildare Leinster semi preceeding Galway v Kilkenny and then Dublin v Wexford in the hurling preceeding Dublin v WM/WW.

Gnevin

Quote from: Hound on June 10, 2009, 11:17:08 AM

If Kildare beat Wexford, I think the best solution would be to have two Croke Park double bills. The Kildare Leinster semi preceeding Galway v Kilkenny and then Dublin v Wexford in the hurling preceeding Dublin v WM/WW.

That makes too much sense , get off this board and don't come back till your talking total balls.  ;)

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Hound on June 10, 2009, 11:17:08 AM

I think that would be the best option alright,nevermind the fact if Laois do beat Louth to reach the semi final I would have been going to the Kilkenny/Galway game anyways so it would save me a few euros having the two games on the same day in the same venue  :)
You'll Never Walk Alone.