Is this fair, just damn greedy or a missed opportunity?

Started by Dinny Breen, June 10, 2009, 08:52:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

INDIANA

Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 10, 2009, 09:29:20 AM
It's about Leinster football and the Leinster Council, the All-Ireland is in effect a separate entity.

If you're good enough is just a cliche and a ridiculous assertion, sport at any level can be about margins, why do you think home advantage in any sport is so important?

To re-iterate I actually would believe Kildare have a better chance playing a semi in Navan/Carlow but I'm sure the players, management from K,LS or LH would like a game in Croker before they took on the might of the Dubs, the Leinster Council have an opportunity to the level the playing field, an opportunity that does not exist in the All-Ireland series but no they would sooner not promote their games and take the money instead.

Dublin have a better record in provincial grounds than Croke Park Dinny. If you're going to beat Dublin it'll be in Croke park. We've only lost 1 game at provincial grounds in the last 30 years. At the end of day its about revenue in a recession and we need to maximise it. Why lose out on 2m that the association can ill afford to lose out on at the moment. I see your point but I don't think the Gaa in the current economic climate as any choice.

Dinny Breen

QuoteI agree with most of what Dinny said bar the "those who deserve tickets will get tickets" nonsense. This is about encouraging people to become fans, and turning away one person who wants to go at this stage of the championship is bad when capacity is potentially there.

I understand your point but I believe by creating a demand, you actually help promote ticket sales.

If Kildare beat Wexford, I think the best solution would be to have two Croke Park double bills. The Kildare Leinster semi preceeding Galway v Kilkenny and then Dublin v Wexford in the hurling preceeding Dublin v WM/WW.

Agree with GN, excellent suggestion and makes far too much sense
#newbridgeornowhere

Maximus Marillius

Quote from: INDIANA on June 10, 2009, 12:23:47 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 10, 2009, 09:29:20 AM
It's about Leinster football and the Leinster Council, the All-Ireland is in effect a separate entity.

If you're good enough is just a cliche and a ridiculous assertion, sport at any level can be about margins, why do you think home advantage in any sport is so important?

To re-iterate I actually would believe Kildare have a better chance playing a semi in Navan/Carlow but I'm sure the players, management from K,LS or LH would like a game in Croker before they took on the might of the Dubs, the Leinster Council have an opportunity to the level the playing field, an opportunity that does not exist in the All-Ireland series but no they would sooner not promote their games and take the money instead.

Dublin have a better record in provincial grounds than Croke Park Dinny. If you're going to beat Dublin it'll be in Croke park. We've only lost 1 game at provincial grounds in the last 30 years. At the end of day its about revenue in a recession and we need to maximise it. Why lose out on 2m that the association can ill afford to lose out on at the moment. I see your point but I don't think the Gaa in the current economic climate as any choice.

exactly....explaing why they are planning to take 20,000 of derry and monaghan. It is always about the money in an ameteur game. We can afford to take 20, 000 off a few counties but we can't afford to pay players. ...some joke the whole thing? Not worth debating.

Dinny Breen

QuoteDublin have a better record in provincial grounds than Croke Park Dinny. If you're going to beat Dublin it'll be in Croke park.

When was the last time Kildare, Meath, Dublin clashed in the championship outisde Croke Park, the Dubs tend to play the smaller population based counties away from Croker so not sure if that arguement holds sway. You are aware that Kildare haven't won a Leinster Championship game in Croker I think since Wicklow in 2005, the longer we stay away imho the better. Anyway I think the double header would be better for the GAA although Hounds idea is the best potential money spinner of all.
#newbridgeornowhere

INDIANA

I've have no problem with Hounds idea. I'm not over the moon about having to travel to Nowlan Park.
I'm also sceptical Dinny about the pulling power of Dublin v Wicklow. If its Westmeath which its most likely you'll get at least 65,000. bUt if its wicklow- you'll get 50,000 max maybe less.

Donnellys Hollow

First off, we could look a bit foolish if we're beaten on Saturday night. I'm confident of a win but it wouldn't surprise me if we were beaten either.

IF we beat Wexford and this proposal comes to fruition, I think it's very pooor form from the Leinster Council. In 2005, there was a double header of the Leinster semifinals - Kildare-Laois and Dublin-Wexford. I can't recall many problems back then. It's a disgrace that professionals like Robbie Keane and Brian O'Driscoll get the red carpet rolled out for them at Croke Park and then guys like Johnny Doyle and Dermot Earley who have give so much to our association are denied the opportunity to play at hq.

It doesn't surprise me though and it is not the first time something like this has happened Kildare. Last year, Tyrone got an extra weeks rest after their last qualifier before their quarter final because they were playing the Dubs in a stand alone fixture. Kildare on the other hand, had to play four games in as many weeks because the GAA wanted a double header of the Cork hurlers and footballers - this despite all the trouble they'd caused earlier on in the year with their annual strike. Not only was it unfair to schedule the game a week after the last qualifier, it also ensured that Cork had a huge majority of support there that day.

I hope we win on Saturday so I can have a proper rant about this!  ;)

There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

magpie seanie

Hounds suggestion is perfect so its unlikely it will happen.

The Boy Wonder

Play both semis in Croker (same date, different dates, double-header, whatever) or play both at provincial venue. Fair-play must come before profit.

Tullamore/Navan could host Dublin/Westmeath and Nowlan Park/Wexford could host Dublin-Wicklow.

Gnevin

Quote from: The Boy Wonder on June 10, 2009, 09:10:25 PM

Tullamore/Navan could host Dublin/Westmeath and Nowlan Park/Wexford could host Dublin-Wicklow.

In what world ? Navan holds 35,000 max  . Westmeath will bring atleast  8-10,000. The ground you suggest for the smallest drawing match Nowlan Park has the largest capacity of all. Your in a dream world
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

The Boy Wonder

I'm just offering my opinion on the question posed - is it fair or just damn greedy ? I think it's the latter.

Ground capacity is obviously a large factor (maximise gate, health & safety etc.) but not the most important factor.
All players and teams want to play in Croker so if one semi-final is played there then the other should be also (same day or different day).

A sizeable element of Dublin support attend Croker for the day out (nothing wrong with that) and would not travel to provincial venues.
So opposition will have a higher percentage of the attandance supporting them that would be the case in Croker - surely the Dubs can't object to this ?

It's only in recent years that all Leinster semis got played in Croker anyway.

The Boy Wonder

Further to above - the element of Dublin supporters who attend the big matches in Croker but would not travel down the country.

I have no issue with this and indeed I know many and work with many of these Dubs supporters. They are genuine sports fans although a lot would not in dyed-in-the-wool GAA fans. But if match venues are fixed to accomodate these fans then it is very much the tail wagging the dog.

DennistheMenace

Of course it's an advantage for Dublin playing in Croke so regularly in comparison to the rest in their province, sure we seen how Dublin played against us (Derry) in Parnell park  ;)

INDIANA

Quote from: The Boy Wonder on June 10, 2009, 11:14:53 PM
Further to above - the element of Dublin supporters who attend the big matches in Croker but would not travel down the country.

I have no issue with this and indeed I know many and work with many of these Dubs supporters. They are genuine sports fans although a lot would not in dyed-in-the-wool GAA fans. But if match venues are fixed to accomodate these fans then it is very much the tail wagging the dog.

Incorrect. Dublin near filled Thurles when they played Kerry in 2001. That's 100 miles away. And they did it twice in 2 weeks.

DennistheMenace

Yeah and that was only 8 years ago, ffs encore en fois was top of the charts around then.

Gnevin

Quote from: The Boy Wonder on June 10, 2009, 10:58:16 PM
I'm just offering my opinion on the question posed - is it fair or just damn greedy ? I think it's the latter.

Well get your facts right first .
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.