Croker - Tickets and Security

Started by Bud Wiser, June 09, 2009, 10:16:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bud Wiser

Two little questions for class this morning, take as much time as you wish.

First, imagine the scenario that I am sitting having a pint in the Red Cow and it is 1pm on Sunday and the Leinster Final or some other game is on.  I decide at the last minute to cross the road and hop on the Luas and get off at Bus Arus and go to Croker.  Even though there are still seats left, where can I buy a ticket or where on any given Sunday is there a guaranteed location that has an official ticket outlet? EDIT:  Ticket for Croke Park, not the Luas !!!!!

Q2.  On a regular basis papers report (correctly) that the GAA is unique in terms of fans integrating both before games and after games.  We drink in the same pubs before and after games, we share terraces and as they say, the craic is mighty.  So why is it necessary to have 250 stewards circled around the park at a cost of 25,000 per game, money that could be well spent elswhere, or expenditure that could be deflected into lowering ticket prices to a reasonable price.  Anyone who answers that they are there to prevent the crowd from encroaching onto the pitch after the game will be deducted all points and have their exam paper torn up.  If they have to be there and if there are two large screens and two scoreboards with the time displayed on all of them please estimate their level of IQ if it is still necessary during the taking of an important free at a crucial stage in the game for everything, including the free taker to be interupted by the announcement you could hear in Mountjoy Square if not Mountjoy Prison that they are to "take their end of match positions" ?

" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

haveaharp

They are there to implement plan B

T Fearon

Is there not always an official ticket van round the corner at the bottom of Fitzgibbon Street, across the road from the pub (Nallen's?) at the corner of Jones Road? Mind you, the queues can be very long so it might be advisable to leave the Red Cow in good time.

In response to the stewards, I would imagine Health and Safety legislation / public Liability insurance etc requires this level of stewarding for a major public event.

By the way the announcement of "All Stewards into end of match positions please" can be music to one's ears if your team has a 4 or 5 point lead, but the last thing you want to hear if the comeback is on but you're still three or four points in arrears!

Zulu

I'm not sure of the street names but there are definitely ticket stations around the ground which sell tickets if they are available.

As for the second question, I'd say it has to be done to prevent liability in the event of something happening, however that is only a guess. I think it happens in other sports as well though so I reckon it is something that has to be done even though it seems to be of little practical use.

T Fearon

On the point of stewards, during the soccer games at Croker the stewards from what I can see must be required to be seated round the pitch at all times, with their backs to the on field action, and maintain a watch on the crowd at all times. Now this must be hard to do when Robbie is about to hit the onion bag

Maguire01

Quote from: T Fearon on June 09, 2009, 11:03:35 AM
On the point of stewards, during the soccer games at Croker the stewards from what I can see must be required to be seated round the pitch at all times, with their backs to the on field action, and maintain a watch on the crowd at all times. Now this must be hard to do when Robbie is about to hit the onion bag
That's in protest at soccer being crap.

Bud Wiser

I am sorry, the wrong exam paper was given out, I will rephrase question 2.

Is the level of security at Croke Park on match says overdone in terms of comparrison of a match say in Semple Stadium or Pairc Ui Chaoimh ?
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

Doohicky

Quote from: Bud Wiser on June 09, 2009, 11:11:07 AM

Is the level of security at Croke Park on match says overdone in terms of comparrison of a match say in Semple Stadium or Pairc Ui Chaoimh ?

I would say yes, BUT it's all to do with legislation and said Legislation is just not capable of taking into account good behaviour. It will have set requirements for set crowd size.

Gnevin

Quote from: Bud Wiser on June 09, 2009, 11:11:07 AM

The second c**k up  with in a hour or so. You should be looking after the leaving cert alright.
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Craigyhill Terror

Quote from: Bud Wiser on June 09, 2009, 10:16:31 AM
Two little questions for class this morning, take as much time as you wish.

First, imagine the scenario that I am sitting having a pint in the Red Cow and it is 1pm on Sunday and the Leinster Final or some other game is on.  I decide at the last minute to cross the road and hop on the Luas and get off at Bus Arus and go to Croker.  Even though there are still seats left, where can I buy a ticket or where on any given Sunday is there a guaranteed location that has an official ticket outlet? EDIT:  Ticket for Croke Park, not the Luas !!!!!

There's now a permanent GAA ticket office on Lower Dorset Street. Saw ones waiting outside it on Sunday

mckieran

QuoteThere's now a permanent GAA ticket office on Lower Dorset Street. Saw ones waiting outside it on Sunday

Thats fairly new I think which is probably why I didnt notice any van on Sunday. There is usually one across the road from Quinns, just at the bottom of Fitzgibbon st.

Aaron Boone

Quote from: mckieran on June 09, 2009, 06:46:30 PM
QuoteThere's now a permanent GAA ticket office on Lower Dorset Street. Saw ones waiting outside it on Sunday

Thats fairly new I think which is probably why I didnt notice any van on Sunday. There is usually one across the road from Quinns, just at the bottom of Fitzgibbon st.

That office used to be an excellent chipper and the GAA paid top dollar just as the boom was ending in 06/07.

T Fearon

If the GAA had been really innovative they could sell match tickets and batter burgers to Dubs from this outlet then. ;D