Dublin v Kerry All Ireland Final 2019

Started by Hereiam, August 12, 2019, 01:27:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

omaghjoe

Quote from: Estimator on August 15, 2019, 09:21:34 PM
Stephen O'Brien cleared to play.
Successfully appealed Black Card against Meath.

Course he is..... after deliberating running into a defender and taking him out of the game.

No fan of the black card but soft application of the rules even with the benefit of video evidence and hindsight is par for the course for Kerry..... and Dublin.

...and lets not forget he's a good fella and doesnt deserve to miss an AIF over a black card

Anyway fair play to him.... hopefully he manages to get the antifreeze flushed out of his system before next Sunday

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Correct decision and done swiftly too.

GAA acting decisively and sensibly this week for a change!
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

BennyCake

Quote from: easytiger95 on August 15, 2019, 09:14:10 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on August 15, 2019, 09:01:08 PM
Quote from: easytiger95 on August 15, 2019, 04:41:06 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on August 15, 2019, 04:18:42 PM
Quote from: easytiger95 on August 15, 2019, 03:20:47 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on August 15, 2019, 03:04:12 PM
Funny how Dublin fans don't complain about the ref, as they know they're likely to win the game anyway. Had it been 15 years ago, you'd have heard their whinging. Funny what success does.

I've been on the board since 2002 - never once complained about a ref. Can't really remember any Dub contributor in those dark times (and they were plenty dark) complaining about refs, either their performance or their appointment. Always too disappointed in our own lack of performance in key games.

Crazy world now that us not complaining about a ref is taken as arrogance. Would you prefer if we did?

Is this comedy?

6 Senior Football All-Irelands
5 u21 All-Irelands
1 Minor All-Ireland
1 Junior All-Ireland
5 National Leagues
Just the 15 Leinster Senior Championships
11 u21 Leinster Titles
5 Minor Leinster Titles
1 National League Hurling
1 Senior Leinster Hurling
4 u21 Leinster Hurling
6 Minor Leinster Hurling Titles

Yea real f**king dark times.....just the 61 provincial and national titles.....

Dinny, how about you learn to read  - see above. Football didn't start in 2011.

I've been going to Croker since 1981 (for the Offaly hurlers) and to Dublin games since 1983, though I didn't get to the final for the 12 Apostles.
In that time, some of the games that I've been at that stand out are -

All 4 in 91 against Meath

Being beaten by Donegal in 92 AIF

Being beaten by Derry in 93 SF

Wasn't at the Down final in 94, watched it at home

Being beaten by Meath in 96 (Bealo's missed peno)

Again by Meath in 99 (Ollie Murphy went to town on us)

By Kildare in two games in 2000

By Meath in Leinster and Kerry after a replay in Thurles (Maurice Fitz)

By Armagh by a point in AISF in 02 (Cossie hit the post)

By Laois in 03, followed by Cluxton getting himself sent off against Armagh

By Westmeath in 04, followed by Kerry getting medieval on us in the AIQF

By Tyrone in AIQF 05 after a replay

By Mayo (Ciaran Mac) after leading by six with 20 to go in the AISF 06

By Kerry in AISF 07

By Tyrone in the pouring rain in AIQF 08

By Kerry (startled earwigs) in AIQF 09

I was at them all and more. So excuse me if my memories of supporting Dublin, in the main was of disappointment for the guts of 26 years (barring the wins in 83 and 95). Now you may say that you have had more disappointment than me, and I would say quantitatively that is correct.

But I would also point out that experience is subjective, and given that I was from a county where there was a huge amount of expectation on them to be All Ireland winners, both from within and outside the county, that the sense of failure and underachievement was especially keen and embarrassing. Anyone who was supporting Dublin during those years won't forget it soon anyway.

Or I could just concede defeat and acknowledge that I just can't do self pity like some of the contributors to this board, and I should just leave it to the experts...

Boo hoo, tiger. Are we meant to feel sorry for ye?
Not at all. Just stop feeling sorry for yourselves 😁

Who said we're feeling sorry for ourselves?

tonto1888

That was a ridiculous black card to be fair

Captain Obvious

Quote from: tonto1888 on August 15, 2019, 10:06:44 PM

Black cards are ridiculous. Will common  sense come into play and we get the return of yellow and red cards only?

Armagh18

Quote from: Captain Obvious on August 15, 2019, 10:09:48 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on August 15, 2019, 10:06:44 PM

Black cards are ridiculous. Will common  sense come into play and we get the return of yellow and red cards only?
That'll be the day!!

Angelo

It looked a fairly clear cut black card. O'Brien runs at pace in a straight line from about 20 yards at a guy who more or less stands his ground and then O'Brien turns his shoulder into him.

But it's Kerry so there's no surprise there.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

johnpower

Quote from: Hound on August 15, 2019, 11:54:58 AM
As I said previously, I don't think Kerry actually want him changed, instead just create enough of a hullabaloo so that he can't avoid it, and they're hoping that it means he'll be  more likely to favour Kerry in 50/50s, so avoid an chance of being regarded as biased.

You still have to trust that he's above it, but at this stage I'd would not be sorry if he stood down. Although the chap's been through quite the journey to get here, so you can only wish him the best and hope he makes all the correct calls.

I agree with you will put pressure on Gough and his team of officials .

Seamus

Quote from: TheGreatest on August 16, 2019, 01:42:24 PM
Terrified in the Kingdom, or soon to be be former Kingdom.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/ciarn-whelan-a-great-act-of-double-bluff-cute-hoorism-you-cant-keep-up-with-kerry-when-it-comes-to-it-38408859.html

You would love to think so, actually they can't wait to get a shot at the Dubs. Contrary to what most people think Kerry is not called The Kingdom because of football, anyway I'm sure they'll win one or two more All Irelands in the future. Regards Whelan's article, have you any idea what he is up to here?
"I wish I could inspire the same confidence in the truth which is so readily accorded to lies".

The Hill is Blue

The bookies odds for the game are ridiculous. I guess they mirror the weight of money that must be going on the Dubs. It's Kerry we're meeting not some first-time challenger. It's no more than a 50/50 game for the Dubs (at best).

I still feel the pain/shock of the 1975 final when a young Kerry team came out of nowhere to hammer the Dubs. The challenge this year will be no less severe.

Dublin beware!
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on August 16, 2019, 09:08:06 PM
The bookies odds for the game are ridiculous. I guess they mirror the weight of money that must be going on the Dubs. It's Kerry we're meeting not some first-time challenger. It's no more than a 50/50 game for the Dubs (at best).

I still feel the pain/shock of the 1975 final when a young Kerry team came out of nowhere to hammer the Dubs. The challenge this year will be no less severe.

Dublin beware!

FFS The Jackeens' cute hoorism has turned a few pages for this one, for bleedin' sure!  :P
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Fear ón Srath Bán

Usually, by this stage of the proceedings, the main event would also be the main discussion point on this board -- have things gone so awry, gone so utterly devoid of unpredictability that the dreary inevitability of the result of this one (no offence Ciarraí) has rendered any pondering thereon such an inescapably futile exercise?

Gough is a good referee, perhaps the best around right now, and his being domiciled in Dublin really doesn't play a part.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

From the Bunker

Dublin beware!

Yes I'd have the game at 4/6 Dublin 6/4 Kerry 10/1 Draw! The year is 2015!

Blowitupref

The bookies odds for the game are ridiculous. I guess they mirror the weight of money that must be going on the Dubs. It’s Kerry we’re meeting not some first-time challenger. It’s no more than a 50/50 game for the Dubs (at best).

Dublin beware!
Nothing ridiculous about the odds, was similar odds for the Semi final v Mayo which Dublin won by 10 points.  Many first time challengers would be more solid defensively than this current Kerry team.  Its 70/30 game in favour of Dublin i reckon.

In 1974 Dublin won their first senior AI for 11 years a bit different from the 2019 Dublin team going for 5 in a row.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose