Tommy Makem RIP

Started by armaghniac, August 02, 2007, 11:44:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oraisteach

Truly sad news.  Will he be buried in Keady?

stew

I didnt know the man but know some people who did and they all had good things to say about him.

I love 'four green fields'  it is a lovely song rich in meaning and depth and I have sung it since childhood.

RIP Tommy.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

SammyG

Mack the finger

dec

He was a great singer.

One of the first albums I ever remember listening to was a Clancy brothers and Tommy Makem live album

The CNN obit
"He brought audiences to tears with "Four Green Fields," about a woman whose sons died trying to prevent strangers from taking her fields."

Yep, thats what it was about.

magickingdom

very sad to hear that, one of the all time great folk singers imo. wonder will his final resting place be armagh or will he be buried stateside where he lived for so long. RIP Tommy

RIP Tommy - a great man who despite his success didn't forget his roots.  magickingdom, I would say that as his late wife Mary is buried in Dover, NH he too will be laid to rest there.
O'Neills Therapist

stephenite

balladmaker

Tommy Makem is to be buried in Dover, New Hampshire, next Thursday, August 9th.

Turlough O Carolan

Sad loss. A musician, scholar and storyteller, he always provided fascinating insights into songs, reminding us for example that "The Streets of Laredo", probably the most famous cowboy song of all time, was the same tune as "The Bard of Armagh", where the poor old harper with his auld withered hands was changed into a gunsligher in the wild west. He was equally at home singing his own composition "The Four Green fields" and the Auld Orange Flute, which he considered one of the greatest Irish folk songs.  He understood the music of the land at a deeper level. We won't see the likes of him again. May he rest in peace.

Great Leap Forward

I don't think there is any doubt that Tommy's Legacy will live on. It is fair to say that they opened the door which allowed Irish folk artists to take their acts to a bigger audience.

It says it all when someone like Bob Dylan counts you as a friend and an influence.