Paddy Kilety in "A Night in November" in Newry this weekend!

Started by T Fearon, August 01, 2007, 11:34:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GweylTah

Quote from: MW on August 01, 2007, 05:57:11 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on August 01, 2007, 03:46:48 PM
NIFan will you be going to see the play? It is drama that often leads one to revise one's own prejudices etc.

Quite. Marie Jones and her family now enjoy the drama of NI fans as 'members' of the GAWA.

How about you learn the same lessons she has?

Yes, you can't keep them away from NI games (home and away, different generations of the Jones/McElhinney clan) for love nor money. In a small way, it's a bit of a vindication that the Northern soccer fans and IFA should walk tall in knowing about.

nifan

Quote from: 5iveTimes on August 01, 2007, 06:10:13 PM
Only you can say wether or not you are lying. My guess is that you have a selective memory  ;)

So you do believe I am lying.
I can assure you my memory is not selective - I simply havent heard the billy boys or any of that shite in many years, thankfully.
As i said i have heard it many many years ago.

As to your other point, as far as im aware lennon didnt receive any abuse for being a catholic, are you aware of otherwise.

As for windsor being unwelcoming Ive had a good few mates come in the last number of years and none have been in the slightest concerned or bothered with.

SammyG

Quote from: 5iveTimes on August 01, 2007, 05:58:22 PM
So they dont sing the Billy Boys in Windsor?
My nephew was at a game a few years back (NI v Finland) and they definitely sang it then. He was about 13 or 14 at the time and said he would never go back. Maybe he is making it up and you are telling the truth  ;)
Sorry 5times but that is complete bollix, not twisting or exaggerating just complete lies.

his holiness nb

So because you didnt hear it means it didnt happen??  :-\
Ask me holy bollix

SammyG

Quote from: his holiness nb on August 02, 2007, 08:48:44 AM

Not what I said but sure you're getting good at making up what I'm thinking rather than what I've written.  ::)

his holiness nb

Quote from: SammyG on August 02, 2007, 08:51:56 AM

Not what I said but sure you're getting good at making up what I'm thinking rather than what I've written.  ::)

No you said he lied, and that it didnt happen Sammy.
I merely questioned how you can be so sure.
It could have been from a tiny minority in the section of the stadium he was in, but you seem to know for a fact it didnt happen.
How so?
Ask me holy bollix

SammyG

Quote from: his holiness nb on August 02, 2007, 09:19:17 AM
Quote from: SammyG on August 02, 2007, 08:51:56 AM

No you said he lied, and that it didnt happen Sammy.
I merely questioned how you can be so sure.
It could have been from a tiny minority in the section of the stadium he was in, but you seem to know for a fact it didnt happen.
How so?

Mainly because it would have been

1) Reported and condemned on OWC
2) Reported by the local media and used as a stick to beat us with
3) Discussed ad infinitum by Fearon et al
4) 5Times would have mentioned it at some stage in the last 10 years since the match in question.
5) Most importantly of all, it would have been stamped out by the people around them and would not have been tolerated.

his holiness nb

Sammy if it were by a tiny minority do you not think it possible that the OWC, Tony Fearon or the media did not hear it, but 5times relation did?

And again, you cant honestly be 100% sure that it would have been stamped out by the people around them. That would depend on who was around them, some might have approved, others might not but were afraid to say anything, others may have thought "eegits" to themselves but said nothing.
I'm not saying it happened Sammy, I'm just saying its possible, you cant honestly come out and say this definately did not happen.
Ask me holy bollix

nifan

I agree with you hhn, it could have happened in a small, isolated incident - it certainly wasnt a collective thing.

However 5times implies that it is my "selective memory" that doesnt remember it, implying that perhaps i should.
It all stems from his "we all know what goes on in windsor" post which implied common place chanting and abuse of catholic players.

MW

Quote from: 5iveTimes on August 01, 2007, 05:58:22 PM
So they dont sing the Billy Boys in Windsor?
My nephew was at a game a few years back (NI v Finland) and they definitely sang it then. He was about 13 or 14 at the time and said he would never go back. Maybe he is making it up and you are telling the truth  ;)

Well I'm going to stick my neck out here and say that this claim is false, certainly in the way you presented it. I was at the match and heard no such thing. Neither has anyone else I've ever spoken to who was at the match. And because you don't get these chants at NI matches anymore, and haven't for years, it's remarkable even when two or three idiots try to start them. People notice. It gets shouted down. It gets commented on extensively on OWC.

his holiness nb

So its an eye witness account against someone who doesnt like to think that sort of thing could happen.

I've heard racist chants in Croke park before, by the odd idiot, but because someone on the other side of the stadium couldnt hear it, or because nobody else who heard it uses the internet or made a complaint doesnt mean it didnt happen.

Guys, open your mind to the possibility at least rather than downright claim it never happened.
Ask me holy bollix

MW

Quote from: his holiness nb on August 02, 2007, 09:55:57 AM
So its an eye witness account against someone who doesnt like to think that sort of thing could happen.

No, it's a second-hand allegation against several first-hand accounts of the match.

MW

Maybe 5ivetimes or "his nephew" could expand on what exactly he meant? Who are "they", for example?

his holiness nb

Quote from: MW on August 02, 2007, 10:01:22 AM

No, it's a second-hand allegation against several first-hand accounts of the match.

::)
So its not even possible that a tiny minority sang it??
I'm not saying it happened by the way but you guys have to admit its possible that a small few sang it.
If you cant even admit the possibility then its very hard to take you seriously.
Ask me holy bollix

MW

Quote from: his holiness nb on August 02, 2007, 10:04:44 AM
Quote from: MW on August 02, 2007, 10:01:22 AM

::)
So its not even possible that a tiny minority sang it??
I'm not saying it happened by the way but you guys have to admit its possible that a small few sang it.
If you cant even admit the possibility then its very hard to take you seriously.

It's within the realms of possibility that two or three people tried to get a chant started , though it would be strange that it was never commented on until now.

However this wouldn't tie in with who 5ivetimes said:

"Well it is no secret that Windsor park is not a very welcoming place for Catholics. With its sectarian songs such as the billy boys...and general all round hatred of all things Irish/Nationalist/Catholic."

"So they dont sing the Billy Boys in Windsor?
My nephew was at a game a few years back (NI v Finland) and they definitely sang it then"

He has, quite simply, been caught on bullshitting.