Paddy Kilety in "A Night in November" in Newry this weekend!

Started by T Fearon, August 01, 2007, 11:34:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

his holiness nb

Quote from: nifan on August 01, 2007, 02:47:46 PM
Quote from: his holiness nb on August 01, 2007, 01:50:04 PM
Quote from: nifan on August 01, 2007, 01:38:50 PM
Im with 5ivetimes on this - the way he talks every player to play at arsenal is shite (Henry ffs) yet he somehow doesnt mention Pat playing for arsenal (or NI) that often

Your just obsessed with Tony, thats all  ;)
No more than you are with sammy :P

I prefer Gweltyah actually, a much easier target   ;)

But I wouldnt go so far as to go over to Owc or SOENISC or the likes and register there purely to argue with him.

Ask me holy bollix

nifan

i had a lot of time on me hands when i registered here

T Fearon

NIFan will you be going to see the play? It is drama that often leads one to revise one's own prejudices etc. I can well understand why the IFA made tickets available for it on its own website.

BTW Watch out for another spectacular from me in the papers this weekend ;)

nifan

No i wont be going to see it.

I await your letter with baited breath.

T Fearon

Why not? The play has much relevance 14 years on, with the monoculturalism and beneath the surface latent sectarianism very much par for the course at Windsor.

If the so called Republic of Ireland team were to play there tomorrow would there really be that much difference?

nifan

Why would I?
I have talked to many who where there that night and have probably got more views on it than she had when she wrote the play.
The play is also a work of fiction, so its accracy then, much less now should be called into question.

Quotewith the monoculturalism and beneath the surface latent sectarianism very much par for the course at Windsor.

blah blah blah

T Fearon

The play is based on true facts, ie the shameful sectarianism on display at Windsor Park on that November 1993, which involved even the North of Ireland goalkeeper and manager acting as cheerleaders and involving the vast majority of the attendance.

The only fictional thing is the main character turning away from bigotry, so you are quite right. That is an example of the writer using poetic licence as such a thing couldn't happen in real life.

T Fearon

5 Times, I saw this play in the Tivoli in Dublin in the mid to late 90s, with Dan Gordon in the lead. and thought it was powerful. I may go to see it again this weekend, if only to see how Kielty shapes up in the lead role. However a couple of freebies for Meath and Tyrone have landed out of the heavens into my lap, so thats Saturday accounted for! ;D

It is much more about sectarianism at Windsor, it deals with unionist bigotry and misplaced superiority complex in general (which you can see for yourself any day on OWC) and at the end of the day, Windsor Park is quite simply a symptom of this malaise

Chrisowc

Quote from: 5iveTimes on August 01, 2007, 04:48:10 PM
Tony we all know what goes on in Windsor, that is why we dont go there. It shouldnt really concern us.

Ah but you see, Tony wants to go.....

5 Times,  If you don't go to Windsor Park for the reasons below fair enough.

"Northern Ireland Football Fans deserve credit for significant progress made tackling sectarianism"; Michael Boyd, IFA Head of Community Relations

IFA Head of Community Relations, Michael Boyd, today responded to the publicity storm surrounding the promotion of Marie Jone's play "A Night in November", which opens at the Opera House this month. The Play, starring Patrick Keilty, focuses on a Northern Ireland Fan who sees his team defeated by the Republic of Ireland in the World Cup qualifiers of 1993 at Windsor Park, a game which was dogged by sectarianism – just days after the Shankill bombing and Greysteel shootings.

"I agree with comments made by Patrick Kielty that sectarianism is still a serious problem in Northern Ireland, but the people of Northern Ireland, especially those in the Community Sector, are making real progress tackling it. It is a problem which football has taken the lead in challenging over the last seven and a half years through our innovative community relations Football For All campaign.

Working in partnership with the Northern Ireland Community Relations Council, the Special EU Programmes Body for Peace and Reconciliation, UEFA and the Amalgamation of Official Northern Ireland Supporters Club we have made significant progress eradicating sectarianism from international football games. Northern Ireland Football Fans deserve credit for significant progress made tackling sectarianism as they have been at the heart of the positive changes which are winning back family support from all sections of our community. This is something the Producers of the Play recognise as they have asked us to contribute a piece in the Play's official programme highlighting how the progress made in recent years has made a Northern Ireland football game one of the hottest tickets in town!"

it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!

nifan

Quote from: 5iveTimes on August 01, 2007, 04:48:10 PM
Tony we all know what goes on in Windsor, that is why we dont go there. It shouldnt really concern us.

What goes on in windsor?

nifan

I cant remember the last time i heard the billy boys at windsor, I have heard it before, ive been going since about 1985, but in recent years nothing.
What sectarian flags? A flag that says i hate catholic flags? I can understand you not necessarily liking the NI flag to some degree - sectarian?
What catholic players are getting a hard time? I cant think of a single squad member who gets abuse from the fans.

MW

Quote from: 5iveTimes on August 01, 2007, 05:31:17 PM
With its sectarian songs such as the billy boys,

And with that you lost any credibility on this thread.

Quit your bullshitting.

Main Street

The clock has stopped a long way back, so what was true once upon a time is still valid for all time.

It's a bit like argueing with my missus, a fantastic detailed memory for the list of wrongs that I have done, even going back into past lives.
All of which, according to her, can be used at present with validity.
There must be some way to apply the FIFA ranking criteria to any situation whereby the value of a victory or loss gets diminished as the years roll by, until it eventually vanishes from having any more influence.

MW

Quote from: T Fearon on August 01, 2007, 03:46:48 PM
NIFan will you be going to see the play? It is drama that often leads one to revise one's own prejudices etc.

Quite. Marie Jones and her family now enjoy the drama of NI fans as 'members' of the GAWA.

How about you learn the same lessons she has?

nifan

5times, i was at that game along with a catholic friend who was more than happy at the  lack of any such songs.
I cnat say whether there was no indivvidual or small group singing it anywhere for certain, but it was certainly not audible in my location or that of other i know.

The main chants on that occasion concerned the fact that the fog meant watching the game was very difficult.

As I said I cannot remember the last time i heard the billy boys sung in windsor. do you think im lying?