Paddy Kilety in "A Night in November" in Newry this weekend!

Started by T Fearon, August 01, 2007, 11:34:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Fearon

In Sean Holllywood Arts Centre this Friday and Sunday night, 8pm, tickets £10 available by phoning 028 3031 3180. I urge any of you who haven't seen this play, about sectarianism at North of Ireland games to go along

Really liked this week's Newry Democrat preview as follows

"The play us about a protestant man, Kenneth Mc Allister, who goes to Windsor Park to watch the World Cup qualifying game between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland in 1993.He becomes repulsed by the sectarianism  he hears around him coming from his own community and takes a few decisions which result in him goimng to America to suopport the Republic in the World Cup Finals.So from the night he sets foot in Windsor Park, he sets off on a journey that transforms his life, the perception of himself and the two communities in Belfast"

This is obviously a warm up for Kielty before he takes the play to Belfast's Grand Opera House later this month. His biggest challenge will be to get into the unionist psyche and display the hatred and bigotry accurately. This play could be ruined by an over emphasis of its comic element. Dan Gordon got it just right, but he was from East Belfast. Kielty has a hard act to follow as Gordon played the role brilliantly and I think also he went on a similar personal journey in his own life from East Belfast protestant unionist to Irish nationalist

nifan

QuoteHis biggest challenge will be to get into the unionist psyche and display the hatred and bigotry accurately.

do you never get bored of the same oul shite

An Fear Rua

If Kielty is our evangalist , it might take longer than we thought
Its Grim up North

his holiness nb

Quote from: nifan on August 01, 2007, 11:45:11 AM
QuoteHis biggest challenge will be to get into the unionist psyche and display the hatred and bigotry accurately.

he gets ye every time though!  ;)
Ask me holy bollix

ziggysego

Quote from: nifan on August 01, 2007, 11:45:11 AM

Replying to him, just gives him oxygen to do it again ;)
Testing Accessibility

his holiness nb

Am I right in thinking Tony is the reason these guys joined in the first place?

Quite the compliment Tony.
Ask me holy bollix

T Fearon

On the subject of this week's Newry Democrat there is an excleent photo of my wife and her better half ;D, in attendance at an evening in aid of Chernobyl, along with the patron, Pat Jennings at the Canal Court Hotel last week. The big man signed six different books/prpgrammes for me (including the 1967 FA Cup Final Spurs V Chelsea) and asked me if I go over to the Lane often. I told him there was an excellent photo of him in this year's UEFA Cup Final progamme and explained that I had got tickets in anticipation of Spurs being in it, to which he replied prophetically, "We are getting very close" Mark those words!!

nifan

fascinating tony.

How many autographs did big pat want from you?

Hurler on the Bitch

Oh dear! 5 times has just made a mistake - Big Pat 1963-1977 Spurs 1977-1986 Arsenal .... left the Spurs when they were relegated ..

got it

Yer Ma

Quote from: T Fearon on August 01, 2007, 11:34:46 AM
His biggest challenge will be to display the hatred and bigotry accurately.

He could do a lot worse than contact you Tony.

nifan

Im with 5ivetimes on this - the way he talks every player to play at arsenal is shite (Henry ffs) yet he somehow doesnt mention Pat playing for arsenal (or NI) that often

his holiness nb

Quote from: nifan on August 01, 2007, 01:38:50 PM
Im with 5ivetimes on this - the way he talks every player to play at arsenal is shite (Henry ffs) yet he somehow doesnt mention Pat playing for arsenal (or NI) that often

Your just obsessed with Tony, thats all  ;)
Ask me holy bollix

T Fearon

He may have played with Arsenal at the end of his distinguished career (losing three out of four major finals, as opposed to winning four out of five with the true North London giants ;D), in what was Spurs biggest transfer howler ever, but he is and always will be a Tottenham man. He coaches the goalkeepers at Tottenham currently and hosts corporate guests in his suite at the Lane. He was approached by Goons fans a year or two ago on his way back to the 6 counties and let them know ion no uncertain terms he is and always will be a Spurs man

nifan

Quote from: his holiness nb on August 01, 2007, 01:50:04 PM
Quote from: nifan on August 01, 2007, 01:38:50 PM

Your just obsessed with Tony, thats all  ;)
No more than you are with sammy :P