Another GAA-insider's view on the Maze Stadium

Started by Evil Genius, July 29, 2007, 02:53:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SammyG

Quote from: Donagh on July 29, 2007, 06:38:22 PM
Quote from: SammyG on July 29, 2007, 06:33:15 PM
Quote from: Donagh on July 29, 2007, 06:23:57 PMSo no apology then?

For what?

Aye, no bother Sammy.

Sorry you make up a load of shite about secret societies, to cover up for your earlier bollix and then you want me to apologise, for pulling you about it.

As you say no bother big lad.  ::)

Evil Genius

Quote from: Donagh on July 29, 2007, 06:23:57 PM
So no apology then?

Never mind the "apologies", any chance you could stop distracting from the topic by actually giving your opinion on what Kennedy - "insider" or no - has to say in his article?

P.S. When I say "your opinion", I'd prefer something slightly more analytical than your usual response when faced with something difficult, or which contradicts your own stance (i.e. "load of shite", or somesuch)
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Orior

So just what do you owc girls think of the quarter final draw?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Hardy

To answer your question, Evil Genius, I'm not sure there's much to comment on. This is the opinion of an editorial writer in a provincial (in every sense of the word) GAA publication and, having read it, I can't make head or tail of what that his opinion is or what it contributes to the debate.

He seems to be indicating that he's against GAA involvement in the proposed new stadium and throws in oblique references to political shibboleths and nostalgia about Clones by way of supporting "argument". He also hints at disaffection with how GAA management is handling the issue with a vague reference to "transparency" but he doesn't seem capable of making a single categorical statement or taking an unambiguous stand.

I haven't any solid evidence, since the opinion of the general GAA membership on this has not been canvassed, but my impression is that the majority attitude among GAA members is along the following lines:

-   We don't realty need this stadium, so nobody is going to get very passionate about it.
-   We would be stupid to look then gift horse in the mouth if something is 'gettin gev out' for nothing.
-   If we are going to be involved, we need to state our baseline requirements (capacity, facilities, etc.) and our preferences (e.g. location). We've done that. If our requirements or preferences can't be met, it won't cost us a thought to walk away from it.
-   We wouldn't lose too much sleep over what those who pay for its construction choose to call it.
-   We are happy to let the management get on with it and negotiate whatever needs to be negotiated. Nobody cares enough to be worried about what deal they end up doing.

By way of mischievous comment, I can't help adding that I share the widespread bemusement at the attitude of the NI soccer community, who contrive simultaneously to be the only ones who actually need the thing, the only ones who can't afford to provide their own alternative and yet the most vociferously bolshy about what they will and won't accept. Beggars and choosers on the grand scale, it seems to most of us.

Solomon Kane

Quote from: Orior on July 29, 2007, 04:18:50 PM
I'm all for Long Kesk Pairc, particularly if it winds up owc.

That is in a nutshell the logic of those who wish to site a national stadium at the Maze. 

SammyG

Quote from: Hardy on July 29, 2007, 07:19:58 PM
By way of mischievous comment, I can't help adding that I share the widespread bemusement at the attitude of the NI soccer community, who contrive simultaneously to be the only ones who actually need the thing, the only ones who can't afford to provide their own alternative and yet the most vociferously bolshy about what they will and won't accept. Beggars and choosers on the grand scale, it seems to most of us.

And there in one paragraph we have an excellent precis of all the bullshit that is spouted about this whole scenario. Not like you to be buying into Fearonesque bollix, Hardy.

The problems with the Maze are to do with the fact that it will be an unworkable disaster, they have nothing to do with being bolshy or being 'choosy'.

Hardy

That's a dreadful slur Sammy - Fearonesque! To be frank, my impression is not a very informed one. I just see a group of supporters of a team without a home, being offered one free gratis and responding with "shove it if it's not going to be where we want it". Sorry, but that's just how it looks to the casual outsider. At the very least it's a PR problem for you lads. If your position is different, you (i.e. OWC, NI supporters, etc.) need to state it more clearly (and diplomatically!) if you expect any sympathy for it.

Main Street

This is a GAA board and the vast majority couldn't care less about the IFA.

The opinion of the GAA and the members have been reasonably reflected by Hardy.

Seats and and a cover would be grand.Turnstiles a plenty. The tricolour flying proudly and fans attending as they always do, with no segregation.
Gaelic culture in motion. Peace and harmony.

Theres no point in digging for agendas, there are none.
Like Hardy I do sense that the IFA are in a bit of a shithole of a situation.

Orior

Quote from: Solomon Kane on July 29, 2007, 07:24:39 PM
Quote from: Orior on July 29, 2007, 04:18:50 PM
I'm all for Long Kesk Pairc, particularly if it winds up owc.

That is in a nutshell the logic of those who wish to site a national stadium at the Maze. 

Bollix. Mine is the logic of one who wont support a british partionist team, and couldnt care less about the IFA. But I'm sure the Strategic Investment Board do care.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

stiffler

Admin- Could you keep all these maze arguments to one thread?
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

SammyG

Quote from: Hardy on July 29, 2007, 07:38:52 PM
That's a dreadful slur Sammy - Fearonesque! To be frank, my impression is not a very informed one. I just see a group of supporters of a team without a home, being offered one free gratis and responding with "shove it if it's not going to be where we want it". Sorry, but that's just how it looks to the casual outsider. At the very least it's a PR problem for you lads. If your position is different, you (i.e. OWC, NI supporters, etc.) need to state it more clearly (and diplomatically!) if you expect any sympathy for it.

We have stated our position time and again. To give you a brief overview:

1) Infrastructure - There is only one small road to and form the Maze, which will not be able to get 30K people to and from a match and no budget or plans to expand this capacity

2) Transport - There is currently no public transport access to the Maze. Even if every bus in NI was re-directed to the Maze, there wouldn't be the capacity to get 30K to and from the match.

3) Amenities - There are no plans for ANY hotels, bars or restaurants at the Maze and there have been no applicants to build any, even though the government have asked for tenders.

4) Location - every single study (all over the world) says that out of town stadia don't work. Why does anybody think that the Maze will buck the trend?

5) Cost - the stadium will cost £110 million (at 2004 rates obviously this will have gone up by the time it's built) and that's without any infrastructure. With that sort of money the three sports could build their own stadia.

If you want more details have a look at http://ourweecountry.ipbhost.com/index.php?showforum=162

thejuice

I'd love to analyse the article but i got bored 1/2 way through it. But I dont see why the GAA should feel politcally obliged to finance a stadium that may not be feasible for them to do so. If Clones is more suitable why then? Just to make a gesture? surely if we just left the political side out of it, and made a decision based on finance, feasibility, infrastructure and sustainability that would be a statement in itself to say that the GAA is not swayed by political factors.

To put it another way, "it would deal with it, by not dealing with it"
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

inisceithleann

I have to agree entirely with what Maurice Kennedy has written. In my opinion the GAA is only supporting the new stadium as part of a PR exercise, to make it look to the outisde world that they can be friends with other sporting organisations. It will be an absolute disgrace if the GAA allow any big games be played in any proposed stadium wherever it is located. They have spent millions of euros on improving stadia. What sense would be to allow their games to be played in a stadium where they possibly would not get all the revenue from gate receipts? My own club's ground at Brewster Park has been given thousands of euro to install flooglights and improve facilities. We would hope to therefore stage more big games and if the GAA turn to the new stadium this will prevent us from availing from this oppurtunity. I agree with Maurice Kennedy, that the GAA's main provincial stadium has to be in the centre of Ulster not right up beside Belfast. It's over 70 miles to the maze from enniskillen and even further from other areas in west fermanagh and county cavan. What are you saying to these fans if the GAA play some of their big games at the maze?
Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth

Donagh

Quote from: SammyG on July 29, 2007, 06:52:12 PM

For what?

Aye, no bother Sammy.

Sorry you make up a load of shite about secret societies, to cover up for your earlier bollix and then you want me to apologise, for pulling you about it.

Not for the first time you're full of shit Sammy. When it has been clearly pointed out to you again that you were spoofing you try to bullshit your way out. No integrity Samuel, that's your problem my friend.

SammyG

Quote from: Donagh on July 29, 2007, 09:14:49 PM
Quote from: SammyG on July 29, 2007, 06:52:12 PM

For what?

Aye, no bother Sammy.

Not for the first time you're full of shit Sammy. When it has been clearly pointed out to you again that you were spoofing you try to bullshit your way out. No integrity Samuel, that's your problem my friend.

You make up some shite about secret societies and I'm the one that's spoofing. Aye right.

p.s. Any chance of actually addressing the issues raised by the article?