UDA is against crime. You heard it here first

Started by Balboa, July 20, 2007, 10:02:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Balboa

Source www.bbc.co.uk/northern ireland

UDA in show against criminality 

The UDA say they are opposed to criminality
Ulster Defence Association leaders from across NI have gathered to "present a united front against criminality".
The group's so-called Inner Council was showing its support for a claim by the Ulster Political Research group that "criminals have no place in the UDA".

UPRG spokesman Frankie Gallagher said those involved in selling drugs, extortion or other crime "did so without the UDA's backing".

He urged the community to help police bring them to justice.

Mr Gallagher said people who knew of anybody involved in criminality "must go to the police and report it".

"We will support them 100%," he said.

"If there are any of those people who are using the name of paramilitaries, or the UDA in particular, to peddle their crime, we are standing here to show the business community, the people in south-east Antrim and the rest of Northern Ireland that that's not the case," he said.

Fear ón Srath Bán

With appropriate scepticism, thankful for mercies, however small they may be.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Square Ball

actually its about time, hope the people have the balls and the local community backing to report these scum to the police. Its in everyone's interest to get all racketeers and drug dealers especially off the streets and either in prison or a morgue. Drug dealers are the scum of scum and both sets of paramilitaries should be allowed to break the ceasefires and top the whole fecking lot of them, Oh the IRA may have to borrow a few weapons from the other side to do this
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

TORGAEL

meanwhile, back in the real world...........

Pangurban

Have just looked out the window, and, there is still only one Moon in the Sky, this report cant be true

Long time dead

Quote from: Pangurban on July 20, 2007, 11:59:12 PM
Have just looked out the window, and, there is still only one Moon in the Sky, this report cant be true

Are you sure there is only one moon in the sky.  ;)

GweylTah

Mary has these people to her big house and hubby Martin enjoys a round or two with some of them on the course.

Square Ball

:o

One of the cars set alight during the violence
Northern Ireland's chief constable has said he believed the Ulster Defence Association should not receive money.
Sir Hugh Orde was speaking after police officers were attacked during rioting in Bangor, County Down.

He said he had evidence that the paramilitary group was behind the disturbances during which officers came under fire in the Kilcooley estate.

In March, the government pledged more than £1m to a project aimed at moving the UDA away from violence.

Sir Hugh Orde said he believed the organisation should not be given a penny.

"If you're looking for funding then you've got to deliver something," Sir Hugh Orde said.

Six people were struck with baton rounds during the violence on Wednesday.

Officers also came under attack from petrol bombs, stones and fireworks. A number of cars were also set alight.

"If that was value for money, then the people of Kilcooley got very poor value for their money," said Sir Hugh.

"If you want my personal opinion, I wouldn't give them 50 pence."

Meanwhile, Lady Sylvia Hermon, UUP MP for North Down, said police must be allowed to do their job.

Up to 200 people were involved in the rioting

"I don't think anything at all will justify opening fire on police officers and for so-called loyalists to attack police officers is in my mind just a completely non-acceptable thing to do."

There were no reports of any serious injuries following the violence, which at one stage involved up to 200 people.

The disturbances followed searches linked to terrorist-related crime.

It is believed that a number of people attending a funeral were held up by the searches.

Chief superintendent Graham Shields, district commander for the area, said he believed seven rounds were fired at his officers.

"Seven rounds were discharged in two separate incidents, the first of which followed the police being lured onto the Clandeboye Road following the report of a vehicle on fire," he said.

Earlier on Thursday, community worker Mark Gordon said: "We're hoping today with the meeting that we'll be holding with PSNI and other community representatives that we'll be able to get this calmed back down again."

The meeting was also attended by the UDA's political representatives, the Ulster Political Research Group.

Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

An Fear Rua

Its Grim up North

Balboa

Funding linked to UDA 'must stop' 

David Ford said funding had to stop
Any government funding of loyalists linked to the UDA must be halted, Alliance leader David Ford has said.
The DSD is spending more than £1m on a conflict transformation initiative involving members of the UDA's political representatives, the UPRG.

Mr Ford told BBC Radio Ulster's Inside Politics the latest loyalist dispute raised questions over official funding.

A police officer was shot in Carrickfergus during a stand-off between rival UDA factions last week.

"I can see at the moment very little reason why there should be any funding for the UPRG on the basis that the UPRG has not yet shown the signs that they are engaging in normal democratic politics," Mr Ford said.

"Indeed it seems to me that the confrontation in Carrickfergus last weekend was not just a one-sided confrontation - the notion that there is somehow one baddie faction of the UDA and one goodie faction of the UDA seems to me to be absolute rubbish."

Mr Ford said it was time the government recognised "evil is evil wherever it comes from".

nifan

Too true ford.
It shouldnt be going near the f**kers in the first place.

Any money for these areas should be going directly to properly managed community projects.

Balboa

Quote from: nifan on August 02, 2007, 11:30:12 PM
Too true ford.
It shouldnt be going near the f**kers in the first place.

Any money for these areas should be going directly to properly managed community projects.

I am so dubious about these "community projects", on both sides. As far as i can see majority of the time it is ex-hoods earning £25k a yr for organising a computer course. Maybe its just the cynic in me.

nifan