Premier League 2019/20

Started by Boycey, June 10, 2019, 01:16:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armamike

Quote from: An Watcher on July 20, 2020, 10:29:34 AM
Watford need to replace him with Ranieri and they'll be Premier League winners next year. Think Pearson more or less built that Leicester team and Ranieri got all the credit

With more or less the same players Pearson massively underachieved!
That's just, like your opinion man.

Main Street

Quote from: Armamike on July 21, 2020, 08:45:14 PM
Quote from: An Watcher on July 20, 2020, 10:29:34 AM
Watford need to replace him with Ranieri and they'll be Premier League winners next year. Think Pearson more or less built that Leicester team and Ranieri got all the credit

With more or less the same players Pearson massively underachieved!
26 points from 22 games says Pearson achieved more than his predecessors at Watford.

Milltown Row2

Currently Villa above Watford!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

laoislad

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Cunny Funt

A huge win for Villa, apparently they hadn't won any of their last 17 Premier league home games v Arsenal.

MayoBuck

Delighted for Villa. Hope they finish the job now.

Boycey

Proper big club Villa, I always like them to be in top flight

Capt Pat

Villa deserve what they got as they all have to play the same games, but they got kind of lucky the way Watford had to play city on the rebound from the fa cup defeat to Arsenal. Whereas Villa got a satisfied Arsenal coming down from the high of the big cup win over city.

shark

Quote from: Cunny Funt on July 21, 2020, 10:10:21 PM
A huge win for Villa, apparently they hadn't won any of their last 17 Premier league home games v Arsenal.

it's been so long that Arsenal's last defeat at Villa Park was the Giggs FA Cup semi final in '99!
Villa beat Arsenal 3-2 in December 1998, having been 0-2 down at half time. A santa claus parachuted in at half time, clipped the edge of the stand and almost died. Villa went top that day, but finished 6th in the end. Will always have the "most points in the calendar year 1998 trophy" though.

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: shark on July 21, 2020, 11:03:35 PM

it's been so long that Arsenal's last defeat at Villa Park was the Giggs FA Cup semi final in '99!
Villa beat Arsenal 3-2 in December 1998, having been 0-2 down at half time. A santa claus parachuted in at half time, clipped the edge of the stand and almost died. Villa went top that day, but finished 6th in the end. Will always have the "most points in the calendar year 1998 trophy" though.

That's some stat!
Hasta la victoria siempre

lurganblue

I remember that game well.  Dublin with a couple.  I was young and foolish enough to think they could make a run at the league that year.

Couldn't have hoped for better results last night.  Even to still be in with a chance on the last day looked very unlikely a few weeks ago.

shark

Quote from: lurganblue on July 22, 2020, 10:35:41 AM

I remember that game well.  Dublin with a couple.  I was young and foolish enough to think they could make a run at the league that year.

Couldn't have hoped for better results last night.  Even to still be in with a chance on the last day looked very unlikely a few weeks ago.

It wasn't misplaced optimism though at the time. Villa finished 1997-98 with 11 wins from final 14 games, and then were top of the table in January 1999 despite losing Yorke in the summer. It was a very strong first 11, but ultimately when injuries hit they fell apart. I remember Dublin had to play at centre half for a number of games.

Sunday will be a nail biter. Could do with Arsenal and Everton scoring early!

ONeill

I was at that game!

My two visits to Villa Park saw Villa beat Arsenal on both occasions. One before was May 98, 1-0 to Villa - think a penalty.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

shark

Quote from: ONeill on July 22, 2020, 02:10:23 PM

I was at that game!

My two visits to Villa Park saw Villa beat Arsenal on both occasions. One before was May 98, 1-0 to Villa - think a penalty.

It was a penalty. A Dwight Yorke panenka no less. I can remember that, but I can't remember what I had for dinner yesterday.

imtommygunn

Some capitulation by forest this last few games.

4-3 interesting. That free kick Arnold scored was never a free kick. Still hardly matters now.