10 (29.4%)
No
22 (64.7%)
Not sure
2 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 32

ziggysego

QuoteTaoiseach in Irish honours call 

Taoiseach Bertie Ahern has again called for an honours system to be introduced in the Irish Republic.

Mr Ahern made the call at a reception in Dublin for golf hero Padraig Harrington, who won the British Open at Carnoustie on Sunday.

"We should have a way, a national way, of honouring not just stars, but people who make an enormous contribution to Irish life.

"The fact is we don't have that," the taoiseach said.

Recently a number of Irish citizens, including Bob Geldof, Bono and Terry Wogan, have been awarded in the British honours list.

On Friday, a spokesman for the taoiseach said Mr Ahern had "long been an advocate" of an Irish honours system and had considered bringing in legislation in 1997, but had failed to secure all-party agreement.

The spokesman said while nothing more was planned to move the issue forward, it could be raised again during the next session of the Dail.

He said any system would likely be modelled on those in existence in France and other republics.

Mr Ahern also paid tribute to Harrington - the first Irishman to win the Open in 60 years - during the reception at Government Buildings.

"We admired the brilliant, yet calm and calculating, way you played," the taosieach told the Dublin golfer.

"It truly was a privilege to watch you rise to the occasion in the climax to one of the finest British Opens in history."

Mr Ahern also praised the efforts of the leading amateur at the Open, 18-year-old Rory McIIroy from Holywood, Co Down.

Sourced BBCi: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/6918951.stm
Testing Accessibility

Fishead_Sam

I don't agree with honoury systems, leaving aside the whole risk of cash for honours or the risk of a semi-whif of Privilage, who decides who should be honoured? If it where to exist it should be in the hands of the President and perhaps the Seanad should have the power to second nominations, with no involvment of the Taoiseach, Government, or Dail Eireann.

sligeach

Ha first to be "knighted" would be Sir Ciaran Whelan i suppose.

An Fear Rua

Will this replace the tent at the Galway races?
Its Grim up North

Fishead_Sam

Charles J. Haughey, ArchBishop McQuaid & Dev Valera would be made honoury gaurdians of the Nation.

I suppose giving away honours will be a natural progression from giving away passports  ::)

Owenmoresider

Sir Patrick the Plasterer I suppose?

Hardy

thebandit

DrinkingHarp

Keep the politics out of it and present a Medal - National Medal of Achievement - simple.
Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014