Supporting English Soccer Teams

Started by AMayoSheep, May 10, 2007, 10:58:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

thewobbler

Division III colleges in the US for a season, although it's debatable if the standard was regularly any higher. Players were infinitely fitter though.

Galwaybhoy

I used to be a Man Utd fan (got caught up in it in the 90's like everyone else my age), but haven't supported them for the last 5 or 6 years.  We went to Park Head twice with my secondary school and I had a great love for Celtic after that but now while I look out for their results and hope they do well I'd never really watch any of their matches.  My favourite non-Irish team would be Sunderland and not because of Roy Keane and Niall Quinn, but for some reason I always liked Sunderland, would watch the odd match of theirs and owned a few of their jerseys.  To be honest now though, I'm 22 and while I'd watch soccer I wouldn't support any non-Irish team but would always look for Sunderlands and Celtics results.  In Ireland I would follow Galway Utd, but use the term "follow" loosely as I have only ever been in Terryland Park once.

What I have come to notice down the years is there are many better sports than soccer.  Our own Gaelic Games of course, but I'd also rather American Football, Rugby, Boxing and the list goes on.  IMO soccer is only popular over the world because its such a simple game to get into (no complicated rules like Hurling or American Football), also the fact it costs nothing to play, all you need is a round ball so its easy for people in poor countries to play, where as for other sports you need to buy a lot of gear that can cost a lot of money.

Kerry Mike

Had a cousin who played for QPR years ago and was a big fan of them in the early eighties when they got to a cup final, moved to a being a Utd supporter after that mainly due to the amount of Irish players involved in the 80's and early 90's.

Cant really say I support anyone anymore, since I've got involved in Munster Rugby from the late 90's I have lost interest, the last straw was when I went to Japan in 2002 for the world cup (a sporting event I wanted to see) , I had socceritis after that and find it hard to watch a game nowadays.

As for scottish soccer, thats some joke, one or 2 teams in a crap league

Thank Christ for the GAA.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football