Mountain Climbing in Ireland

Started by venter, April 12, 2007, 12:56:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rufus T Firefly

Great photos Mayo4sam!

The second photo - if I have my bearings right, that is the Hag's Tooth with Beenkeragh rising behind? Did you cross the Beenkeragh Ridge?

turk

This looks like an excellent pastime to take up!

What would you need - just a good pair of boots or would you need light ones?

Sorry about the dope questions, no mocking me now please!

Mayo4Sam

All i use is either runners or my site boots.
Am looking for a decent pair of hiking boots but haven't found anything yet
So to answer ur question a good pair of boots will do u, even runners depending on the hardness of the ground
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Donagh

I'd advise a good pair of hiking boots and socks. After damaging an ankle ligament coming down of Donard last year I got a pair of waterproof HiTec boots for £35. Went into a shuck on Slieve Gullion the week before last and no problems at all - good support and didn't have to tr**p back with soggy socks.

venter

QuoteWhat would you need - just a good pair of boots or would you need light ones?

Turk,, on the way up the mountain a pair of runners is ideal, but going down they are not great. You'd probably want a bit of support for the ankles on the way down.

I was up around Mweelrea the other week. I  have a few pictures i must put up when i get the chance. I have ordnance survey map 37 in front of me right now and it does not include the height of Mweelrae.

I went up the horse shoe from Delphi centre  on to Ben loughmore??? and on back to Benbury. The pass between these two mountains is listed as 803metres. I didnt make it back to Mweelrae itself as it was getting late and I was getting lazy. I might try it tomorrow again.

venter

Last monday, I took the drive from Bangor to Achill, Some good cliff faces and mountains back that way too.

turk

Thanks for all the tips lads!

I will pick a small hill and see how winded i get and take it from there!!

Hardy

An Offaly man taking up mountain climbing is a bit like that film about Jamaicans bobsledding.

turk

We have the Slieve Blooms, or part of them anyways! and some fine hills