Saying the rosary doesn't work. Fact

Started by smelmoth, August 27, 2017, 04:37:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on August 28, 2017, 06:21:05 PM
I was looking at some old RTE news footage from the 80s recently on youtube and found a report saying Cardinal Daly issued a statement saying there was to be no more personal eulogies at funerals. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Is this really a thing in the catholic church? You're not allowed to talk about the deceased at their own bloody funeral?!

It is a think, the priest can in the sermon but the eulogy at the end isn't allowed. Almost universally ignored
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Itchy

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on August 28, 2017, 10:43:33 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on August 28, 2017, 06:21:05 PM
I was looking at some old RTE news footage from the 80s recently on youtube and found a report saying Cardinal Daly issued a statement saying there was to be no more personal eulogies at funerals. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Is this really a thing in the catholic church? You're not allowed to talk about the deceased at their own bloody funeral?!

It is a think, the priest can in the sermon but the eulogy at the end isn't allowed. Almost universally ignored

Good to hear the legendary cardinal was working on important stuff when Paedos were running rampant.

omaghjoe

I think I was minor when I decided that 2 laps of the pitch was plenty on a cawl February night without the ball and did a go slow or somethin stupid like that, the whole thing escalated, dropped, took the huff,..... no football for me that year.....

Dare say I would take the same attitude to sports psychology these days...

mrhardyannual

Quote from: Esmarelda on August 28, 2017, 05:36:11 PM
Quote from: mrhardyannual on August 28, 2017, 05:30:12 PM
Quote from: Esmarelda on August 28, 2017, 04:37:28 PM
On a similar topic, does anyone know if it's G.A.A. policy to use the term ar dheis de go raibh a h-anam before a minute's silence for someone that's died?
It's not GAA policy but is the customary blessing/saying as Gaeilge. Dia duit as hello has the same religious terminology if looked at pedantically but unless you anglicise the language I'm not sure what you can do.
Good point. Just seems odd if the person that died, or his/her family, isn't of that persuasion.
I don't think anybody is ever too bothered just as long as the prayer/wish/blessing is offered in a positive way. Obviously if your religion has a problem with standing on God's right hand side rather than the left we have big trouble.

APM

Quote from: BennyHarp on August 28, 2017, 06:47:59 PM
Quote from: APM on August 28, 2017, 04:29:07 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on August 28, 2017, 04:16:13 PM
Quote from: APM on August 28, 2017, 03:58:02 PM
On a serious note, am I the only one that found this practice wrong.  Is it fair to assume that everyone that plays county football for Tyrone is a catholic or a lapsed catholic who has no objection to saying the rosary.  Are players from other religions and none welcome in Mickey's changing room?  If he had a conscientious objector, how would he cater for them.

How do you know he didn't?

It was a method of focusing the mind pre match. Nothing more, nothing less. Don't get too worked up about it.

Let's say Mickey suggested it and you weren't comfortable? Do you say something? Do you say nothing?

Let's say there was someone that wasn't comfortable with it and said so. What options does he give them? OK then, we won't bother saying the Rosary?  Do you want to stand outside during the Rosary?  Just stand there and say nothing?
What if someone new is invited onto the panel. Do I have to say the Rosary if I play for Tyrone? I'm not comfortable with that, Can I say something?

Then you think about what kind of message this sends out to non-catholics within the GAA and outside it. 

I'm sure if you wanted a method of focusing the mind pre-match you could find all kinds of techniques without drawing them from religion. 

Finally, to address your little patronising comment at the end; I'm not worked up about it.  I just find it wrong and disagree with it.

Ah sure it's some mess, I don't possibly know how they functioned as a panel. Or maybe it isn't all that big a deal and it was discussed before hand and most of the players bought into it and an arrangement was made for those that weren't comfortable with it.

I'm sure they functioned fine, because most people in that situation will just go along with it. I'd be surprised if anyone said that they were uncomfortable, but the principal remains; the GAA is not an exclusively catholic organisation and we aspire to attract participants from all parts of society.  The fact that we are mostly catholic is an even greater reason not to bring religion into the dressing room.  What message does it give to outsiders?  If you want religion, go to the chapel / church and don't push it on anyone else; because that is effectively what he is doing, from a position of power.   

rosnarun

yes that's whats wrong with tyrone . too much prayer. not that they have indulged a manager for about 3 years too long and are afraid to even seriously discussed moving him on even after his latest humiliation
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Tyrone Gaa

Quote from: rosnarun on August 29, 2017, 04:01:16 PM
yes that's whats wrong with tyrone . too much prayer. not that they have indulged a manager for about 3 years too long and are afraid to even seriously discussed moving him on even after his latest humiliation

Maybe there will be a player revolt to get a new manager in or is that only done in Mayo??
Living the dream!!!

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: Tyrone Gaa on August 29, 2017, 04:09:38 PM
Quote from: rosnarun on August 29, 2017, 04:01:16 PM

Maybe there will be a player revolt to get a new manager in or is that only done in Mayo??

Seems to have worked OK for them as they head into another AI final, fourth in last 6 years,  maybe worth trying.

Itchy

Quote from: APM on August 29, 2017, 03:21:51 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on August 28, 2017, 06:47:59 PM
Quote from: APM on August 28, 2017, 04:29:07 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on August 28, 2017, 04:16:13 PM
Quote from: APM on August 28, 2017, 03:58:02 PM
On a serious note, am I the only one that found this practice wrong.  Is it fair to assume that everyone that plays county football for Tyrone is a catholic or a lapsed catholic who has no objection to saying the rosary.  Are players from other religions and none welcome in Mickey's changing room?  If he had a conscientious objector, how would he cater for them.

How do you know he didn't?

It was a method of focusing the mind pre match. Nothing more, nothing less. Don't get too worked up about it.

Let's say Mickey suggested it and you weren't comfortable? Do you say something? Do you say nothing?

Let's say there was someone that wasn't comfortable with it and said so. What options does he give them? OK then, we won't bother saying the Rosary?  Do you want to stand outside during the Rosary?  Just stand there and say nothing?
What if someone new is invited onto the panel. Do I have to say the Rosary if I play for Tyrone? I'm not comfortable with that, Can I say something?

Then you think about what kind of message this sends out to non-catholics within the GAA and outside it. 

I'm sure if you wanted a method of focusing the mind pre-match you could find all kinds of techniques without drawing them from religion. 

Finally, to address your little patronising comment at the end; I'm not worked up about it.  I just find it wrong and disagree with it.

Ah sure it's some mess, I don't possibly know how they functioned as a panel. Or maybe it isn't all that big a deal and it was discussed before hand and most of the players bought into it and an arrangement was made for those that weren't comfortable with it.

I'm sure they functioned fine, because most people in that situation will just go along with it. I'd be surprised if anyone said that they were uncomfortable, but the principal remains; the GAA is not an exclusively catholic organisation and we aspire to attract participants from all parts of society.  The fact that we are mostly catholic is an even greater reason not to bring religion into the dressing room.  What message does it give to outsiders?  If you want religion, go to the chapel / church and don't push it on anyone else; because that is effectively what he is doing, from a position of power.

Well said.

T Fearon

What about Jock Stein, a non catholic, who nonetheless made all his catholic players attend mass on Holidays of Obligation, if Celtic were away on European business.

J70

Quote from: T Fearon on August 29, 2017, 11:49:15 PM
What about Jock Stein, a non catholic, who nonetheless made all his catholic players attend mass on Holidays of Obligation, if Celtic were away on European business.

Very arrogant and presumptuous of him.

Was a different time. He rightly would not get away with such nonsense these days.

omaghjoe

Quote from: J70 on August 30, 2017, 01:30:54 PM

Was a different time. He rightly would not get away with such nonsense these days.

How is it arrogant if someone is a Catholic?

Isn't Sports Psychology being even more presumptive and getting away with it these days?

seafoid

Quote from: omaghjoe on August 30, 2017, 04:05:08 PM

Isn't Sports Psychology being even more presumptive and getting away with it these days?

Mexican colonisation. Catholics were very arrogant.
Mother and baby homes. Tsk tsk
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

omaghjoe

Quote from: seafoid on August 30, 2017, 04:08:03 PM
Quote from: omaghjoe on August 30, 2017, 04:05:08 PM

Mexican colonisation. Catholics were very arrogant.
Mother and baby homes. Tsk tsk

Bot does not compute...

The point was that Jock Stein was arrogant a non Catholic

How do we get from Jock Stein sending his players to mass to the conquistadors?

seafoid

The thing about Catholic prayers is they only work if you believe them. That was genius .
If you were poor and your life was shit you would get an upgrade in the next life. Genius.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU