Started by Unlaoised, October 06, 2016, 10:39:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unlaoised

LAOIS ABÚ

Lar Naparka

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Beffs

Unlaoised

Was told by an offical in Wexford county board yesterday the T's are crossed and the i's dotted its more or less done!
LAOIS ABÚ

Asal Mor

Looks like it's a done deal alright
http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/davy-fitzgerald-on-the-verge-of-sensational-intercounty-return-with-wexford-35111194.html

Not sure it's a good move by Wexford but it's great as a fan to have Davy involved. Always makes things much more interesting(in terms of sideline antics/interviews more than style of play). His Clare team largely under-performed  though, given the talent, despite the All-Irelandin '13. League titles still count for absolutely nothing.

AZOffaly

Wexford might actually suit Davey. They seem to respond to emotion, and his style will probably strike a chord with them straight away. Also his tactical approach might be suitable for a team trying to get competitive again. It was holding Clare back, because they should be better than that, but the likes of Wexford and Offaly might be happy to try and keep close/win scrappy for a few years.

Zulu

This is as disaster for Wexford and a most annoying development for sports fans as Davy is embarrassing for the GAA IMO.

Maybe the options weren't great but watch this this farce implode.

Asal Mor

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 07, 2016, 09:26:46 AM
Wexford might actually suit Davey. They seem to respond to emotion, and his style will probably strike a chord with them straight away. Also his tactical approach might be suitable for a team trying to get competitive again. It was holding Clare back, because they should be better than that, but the likes of Wexford and Offaly might be happy to try and keep close/win scrappy for a few years.
That's true. And the only way is up after the Waterford quarter-final.

seafoid

The RTE interview at Christmas 2013 with Gerlock,  Davy and Anthony Dy was really interesting. Winning an all Ireland for Clare will never be matched. Gerlock would have had his babies. You could see it in his eyes. I felt sorry for Daly. Even if the Clare thing ended deflated what Fitz did was timeless. 
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

johnneycool

Have Wexford come into a bit of money?

Bord na Mona man

I think it will be a decent enough fit. Davy is a more souped up version of Liam Dunne. I think we're all agreed that Wexford always lean heavily on the emotional aspect of the game.
Don't bother with yer stats and analytics, stick on the Braveheart dvd on the team bus and then set them loose onto the field.

Zulu

That no longer works though and I find it hard to see how an outsider can appeal to the emotional side of Wexford men more than one of their modern hero's did. Davy might get a one year 'new (bonkers) voice' boost but he has neither the talent in the Wexford squad or the tactical acumen himself to produce a good end game.

theskull1

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on October 11, 2016, 10:56:07 PM
I think it will be a decent enough fit. Davy is a more souped up version of Liam Dunne. I think we're all agreed that Wexford always lean heavily on the emotional aspect of the game.
Don't bother with yer stats and analytics, stick on the Braveheart dvd on the team bus and then set them loose onto the field.

Fairly sure Liam Griffin was a stats man BnMm.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

AZOffaly

Quote from: Zulu on October 11, 2016, 11:08:26 PM
That no longer works though and I find it hard to see how an outsider can appeal to the emotional side of Wexford men more than one of their modern hero's did. Davy might get a one year 'new (bonkers) voice' boost but he has neither the talent in the Wexford squad or the tactical acumen himself to produce a good end game.

Davy does seem to find that emotional trigger though. And Wexford are that sort of animal. Whether it was LIT, Clare or Waterford, he always seems to have a short term effect from a motivational standpoint.

I agree about his tactics, but if he plays that sweeper game like he did in Clare, he'll probably make Wexford a bit harder to beat.

Zulu

Not sure he will AZ. At LIT he had a 'super club', it would have been hard not to win a few Fitz's with those teams. In Waterford he had a bit of success but that quickly turned pretty quickly with rumours of a bad vibe in the squad relatively quickly. Clare was his home county and again ended with the players wanting him out. I just think the Wexford players will look on him as a guy who is cracked and doesn't seem to gel with a group for more than a year or two so they may not respond to him at all.