Super 8s

Started by theticklemister, February 19, 2017, 10:55:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinny Breen

I am not a fan of the Super 8s but I am a fan of fairness so given any more advantages to the winners of the already unbalanced provincial championships is just wrong.

1. 2 week break from last round of qualifiers to start of Super 8s.
2. Play the Super 8 games 3 weeks on the trot
3. Winners of round 1 play each other in round 2, neutral venue. Ensures at least 3 teams per group have something to play for last round.
4. Have 1 venue set aside for neutral round Sat/Sun - Limerick or Cork. A festival of football both cities would embrace it. 8 counties 1 game.
5. 2 week break to semi-finals
#newbridgeornowhere

RedHand88

Quote from: Dinny Breen on August 04, 2019, 12:42:58 PM
I am not a fan of the Super 8s but I am a fan of fairness so given any more advantages to the winners of the already unbalanced provincial championships is just wrong.

3. Winners of round 1 play each other in round 2, neutral venue. Ensures at least 3 teams per group have something to play for last round.
4. Have 1 venue set aside for neutral round Sat/Sun - Limerick or Cork. A festival of football both cities would embrace it. 8 counties 1 game.

What if theres a draw?

Dinny Breen

Good point, a toss of a coin but the premise still stands, draws are good for ensuring no dead rubbers.
#newbridgeornowhere

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Dinny Breen on August 04, 2019, 12:42:58 PM

I don't think that would suit the likes Meath,Roscommon,Kildare,Cavan etc as to play that amount of high intensity championship games in a short shape of time requires serious conditioning. 

6th sam

Haven't looked back on this thread but this may already have been suggested.
Last 8 play in prelimary qfinal, neutral equidistant venue.4 winners play each other in qfinals , winners of that through to semis. 4 prelim qf losers play each other , 2 winners play the 2 qf  losers to qualify for semis.
This system works really well in Down championship .
It would mean 2 less games overall compared to super 8 but no dead rubbers at all. 4 teams will get at least 3 games and 4 teams get at least 2 games. Lose 2 games , and you're out and back to clubs rather than wait 2 weeks on a dead rubber ( eg cork Roscommon Meath ) no shadow boxing games such as Tyrone Dublin today.
Every team gets a second chance, but nobody gets a third chance , two losses and you're out. Games must be played to a finish.
No games in Croke park
Until semis.

Armagh18

No harm to ya Joe but Roscommon and definitely Cork could have beaten Tyrone this year!

Armagh18

Quote from: hardstation on August 04, 2019, 03:48:19 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on August 04, 2019, 03:45:20 PM
No harm to ya Joe but Roscommon and definitely Cork could have beaten Tyrone this year!
Very unlikely.
Cork threw it away and the Rossies missed goal chances too.

tippabu

Should we change the thread title to "the meh 8s"?

Blowitupref

Wasn't watching but don't tell me Joe Brolly said some daft once again?
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Blowitupref

Quote from: hardstation on August 04, 2019, 06:44:17 PM
Quote from: Blowitupref on August 04, 2019, 06:21:14 PM
Wasn't watching but don't tell me Joe Brolly said some daft once again?
He didn't. He said it was obvious that Tyrone & Dublin would come out of the group. It was.

Last years two AI finalists were clear favourties to get out of that group but it wasn't that obvious as Roscommon had Tyrone at home in round 1 and went into that game off the back of beating two Div 1 teams away.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

macdanger2

Mayo 9/2 Dublin 1/5
Tyrone 6/4 kerry 8/11

Farrandeelin

Quote from: macdanger2 on August 04, 2019, 08:44:16 PM
Mayo 9/2 Dublin 1/5
Tyrone 6/4 kerry 8/11

Funny old game. Had Donegal beaten us, not a chance would Dublin be that price.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

yellowcard

Mayo 9/2 Dublin 1/5
Tyrone 6/4 kerry 8/11

Thought the Tyrone game would be evens both sides, genuinely surprised that Kerry are such a short price.

weareros

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 04, 2019, 11:40:37 AM
I know it's s dead rubber game but no chat on the Cork v Roscommon game?

Glad to have made the trip to Páirc UI Rinn today, to thank lads for a great season and ended up getting a very enjoyable game, seven goals, in very poor playing conditions. Well done to both teams for going for it. While it was a dead rubber, still a shame that RTÉ did not show live for older folk who could not travel as it was still a qtr Final and have often seen them show challenge soccer and rugby games. Great little pitch and decent atmosphere. I think with likes of Ciaran and Ultan back and rising stars like Heneghan, I remain confident for future. Well done to Anthony and the lads. Beating Mayo and Galway on their own patches is always a great year. Only last years finalists beat us. #3. Onwards.

Captain Obvious

Mayo 9/2 Dublin 1/5
Tyrone 6/4 kerry 8/11

Very tempting odds on Tyrone. Kerry's loose marking defence could be exploited by Tyrone.