American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

Fair play to the Yanks. Jaysus have you seen the commentary team? Outside, in hats and coats.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Carmen Stateside

Did you ever see the bate of it ::)

Tyrones own

If the Giants don't get it done tonight it certainly won't have been
  lack of effort on Plaxico Burress' part  8)
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

Puckoon

One more score for baby pucks nappies!

Didnt see the pats game, but this isnt bad so far. Got a tenner on Driver at 7-1 for the first td. I also put a 10er on LT, and Plaxico, so its not that profitable.. :(

Puckoon

Tyrones own

Quote from: Puckoon on January 21, 2008, 02:09:59 AM

Didnt see the pats game, but this isnt bad so far. Got a tenner on Driver at 7-1 for the first td. I also put a 10er on LT, and Plaxico, so its not that profitable.. :(

Did the bookie look at ye like you were growing horns with the mention of the tenner :D
  - Walter Lippmann

Puckoon

Quote from: Tyrones own on January 21, 2008, 02:52:05 AM
Quote from: Puckoon on January 21, 2008, 02:09:59 AM

Did the bookie look at ye like you were growing horns with the mention of the tenner :D

Not as much as he did when I put one on a player whos participation was a game time decision. I must have had a few at the time.

Tyrones own

Fair play to the Giants going into Greenbay to win that, i felt bad for the kicker to miss
  that FG attempt but by Jaysus did he redeem himself, i had a few $$ on them so it's all good ;D

- Walter Lippmann

J70

New York's going to some craic for the next two weeks!

Thoroughly deserved in my opinion. The Giants defense was unbelievable. Nobody expected this this season. Fair play to Eli Manning as well - he's shut up a lot of people this season.

Carmen Stateside

Quote from: J70 on January 21, 2008, 03:33:23 AM
New York's going to some craic for the next two weeks! Thoroughly deserved in my opinion. The Giants defense was unbelievable. Nobody expected this this season. Fair play to Eli Manning as well - he's shut up a lot of people this season.

Super Bowl Sunday should be some craic this year ;D What a win J70 is right about the defense what a game they played hearts still racing!

AZOffaly

I was happy enough watching the games last night. Had a double on the Chargers +14.5 and the Giants + 6.5, another nibble on the Under at 44.5 in the Pats - Chargers game, and another winning bet on the Giants to win the game at 13/8 in running when it went 3-0 to them.  (Tried to get on at 2/1 and it kept getting suspended).

Only losing bet was a tenner on Bradshaw to score the first TD in the Giant's game.

thejuice

Quote from: hardstation on January 21, 2008, 02:34:59 AM
Holy Ghost! :o
Some boyo texted in saying that Croke Park would be a great place for a game. (There was a game there before, my da was doing security at it)

Anyway, some other boyo texted in saying, "Why are you talking about games in the UK?"
The English lad went mad, saying, "Nobody mentioned the UK, this person needs to listen more."

Jeepers!
I'm watching Sky Sports 2.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/croker-nfl-game-could-be-on-cards-1269662.html

That was stupid, its like some people have an identity problem, I dont think Nick or Kevin for that matter implied that UK and Ireland are the same. BUt as we know with some people it only takes even the slightest chance it was implied to set them off. Anyway nothing to do with NFL

C'mon the Giants, there was a while where i really doubted Eli Mannings ability. but he's proved me wrong and Im quite happy with that. I wonder what Tom Coughlin was saying to Tynes after he missed that FG. Tynes just ignored him I think. That lad McQuaters, I could have killed him, you'd think after fumbling the 1st time he'd have learned his lesson about protecting the ball, but toi do it again, my god. I was screaming at the telly when he caught it, he wasnts even holdingthe ball against hi body. Mind you he wasnt the only one on the Ginats with suspect hands, but ill blame the cold for that.

Giants have as good a chance as anyone of beating the Pats. Pity Favre didnt get a chane to go to the Superbowl again but the Packers didnt play good enough, and didnt deserve it.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Gabriel_Hurl

A little story about the hero last night

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/us_sport/football/article3177383.ece

As he slips on his Celtic shirt inside an empty Giants stadium and stares into the distance, Lawrence Tynes is imagining how his life might have played out differently. He was 10 years old when his father Larry, then a United States Navy Seal based at RAF Machrihanish on the Mull of Kintyre, moved his family to Florida, his home state, but Scotland was all young Lawrence had known. The 29-year-old New York Giants kicker dreamt not about the Super Bowl appearance that may be only two games away but of wearing the famous hoops of Celtic, his team, his passion for whom has never ebbed.

Paradise remained a place in the East End of Glasgow as the years passed in the Sunshine State, and Tynes yearned to be back amid the tumult of the Old Firm. "I went to a small Catholic primary school, St Kieran's in Campbeltown, and I was a mad Celtic fan," he reveals, not a hint of his Scottish roots perceptible in his accent. "Me and my brothers, Mark and Jason, walked to school every day and always had a football. We lived for it and I couldn't wait to pull on my Celtic jersey before we played. I was nine or 10 years old when I saw my only game at Celtic Park against Hearts. We won and it was brilliant. My brother Jason, an army reservist who works for the government in Charlotte [North Carolina], has seen them play about 10 times over the years but I've not been to Parkhead since that day. It's strange how your life can change."

For years the Tynes brothers resisted change, becoming known as the "Lucky Charm Boys" in their new neighbourhood of Milton, near Pensacola. "Because of our accents, the other kids thought we were Irish," he recalls. At Milton High School, Tynes set a record that still stands, scoring seven goals in one game and soccer, as it was called, continued to provide the brothers with a spiritual compass, a sense of home.

Then Mike McMillon, a PE teacher, spotted potential in Lawrence and invited him to play a different game, suggesting he had talent as a kicker and in the defensive free safety position. "But I was better at kicking, so I stuck with that," Tynes says.

At Troy State University he completed a degree in criminal justice and planned to become a lawyer before joining the FBI. But Troy State won the Southland Conference Championships in three out of four years and Tynes was signed by Kansas City Chiefs in 2001 before being released at the end of training camp.

After playing for Scottish Claymores for a year he joined Ottawa Renegades in the Canadian Football League in 2003 before Kansas City resigned him in 2004. He remained at Arrowhead stadium until the end of 2006 and joined the Giants at the start of this season on a one-year deal worth $428,850. In the National Football League (NFL) kickers are not among the most glamorous or highly paid positions.

"Kickers have long been bullied," Matthew Waxman explains in Sports Illustrated. "While the beef slug it out in the trenches, games are often won or lost on the swung leg of a guy in a pristine uniform who looks like Eric from [American television show] Entourage in ballet shoes. And kicking is viewed as having a low degree of difficulty, largely because Tom Dempsey, who has the record for the longest field goal, kicked a 63-yarder with half a foot [he was born without toes on his right, kicking foot]."

But this is the part of the season when kickers are worth every cent, often determining the result with a last-minute field goal attempt. The fifth-seeded Giants came through the regular season with a 10-6 win-loss record and finished strongly, securing their playoff position with a 38-21 win at Buffalo on December 23 before producing an inspired performance against the all-conquer-ing New England Patriots, losing 38-35 but gaining widespread respect for their effort to prevent the Patriots posting a perfect 16-0 regular season. In their 24-14 victory over the Tampa Bay Buccaneers last weekend, quarterback Eli Manning completed 20 of 27 passes for 185 yards and two touchdowns and an efficient defensive display secured for the Giants their first postseason victory since 2000.

Dallas Cowboys will be formidable opposition at Texas stadium, however, despite having failed to exceed their scoring average since November 29 while falling short of 250 total yards in two of their past three games. Quarterback Tony Romo has thrown just one touchdown pass and five interceptions in his previous three games. Terrell Owens will play but it remains to be seen if his sprained left ankle will carry the weight of expectation and allow the wide receiver to make a telling impact.

"If the game comes down to a field goal in the dying seconds, I'll be ready," declares Tynes, who has converted 24 of 28 kicks this season, a success rate that represents the best return of his career. "Kicking is a fickle business and you're remembered only for the big ones you score or the ones you miss. The expectation is that you will kick between the posts every time. I take deep breaths and tell myself, 'Go out and be a hero'. The best part of the game is to see grown men jumping up and down because of something that came off your foot. When you miss there's nothing worse. It's like when your parents say they're disappointed in you."

Tynes would love to play an important role for the Giants in the playoffs. His wife, Amanda, gave birth to twin boys Calab and Jaden six months ago, having gone into labour two months premature.

Mother and sons are doing well now, a source of incredible joy, but the pain of his brother Mark's imprisonment in 2003 for dealing in marijuana is never far away. "I talk to my brother three times a week and I always know where he's at and how he's feeling," says Tynes. "It's difficult for my parents and the rest of my family, but we're trying to get through it."

Tynes and the Giants will be trying to find a way through the Cowboys today. He has accepted an invitation to be New York City's Tartan Day Parade Grand Marshall in April and nothing would fill him with greater pride than to march down Sixth Avenue a Super Bowl winner – with the Celtic hoops no doubt on display.

Gabriel_Hurl

the Deel Rover

Good article on tynes Gh, Just wondering did any of ye boyos who went to wembley think that the giants had any chance of making the superbowl ?
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001