Author Topic: Derry Club Football & Hurling  (Read 251049 times)

restorepride

• View Profile
Re: Derry Club Football & Hurling
« Reply #420 on: December 03, 2017, 10:40:37 PM »
To add to what the weasel has said we should have more than enough quality players in Derry to compete in the McKenna cup and Div 3 of the NFL until the Slaughtneill players are available. The panel from last year added to by the stay away players should leave us very competitive. Have all the players who opted out last year made themselves available again? Why has no panel been announced yet?
Keep an eye on the Derry website as that is how panels are normally announced.

toby47

• View Profile
« Reply #421 on: December 04, 2017, 08:23:22 AM »
It has been said that there are only 26 players,including the Slaughtneil contingent, on the Derry Senior football panel.As one would expect that there would be at least 7 Slaughtneil men - ie A McMullan,the two McKaigues,Brendan Rogers,Padraig Cassidy,Christopher Bradley and Shane McGuigan - on the squad that would mean that there would only be 19 players available for the McKenna Cup.
I think that it is extremely doubtful that Damian McErlain would  prepare for the League with such a limited number of players.
Anyhow we are only,I hope,in the realm of unfounded speculation.Going by his record of publicly announcing his minor panels,well in advance, over the last three years one would expect that an announcement of his present plans,including names of panellists, both for the McKenna Cup and League would be imminent.

Talking to a panellist over the weekend, I had asked how many were up training and he said not a lot. Didn't give me an exact number of the men but said they were missing 7(good guess you were correct) slaughtneil men until at lease Feb. Michael Bateson was with Newbridge so had joined late and then 2/3 men with niggles/injuries.

McKenna Cup isn't a worry for me at all, but Derry need to hit the ground running in the league if they want to get out of Divison 3.

On a side note, has anyone heard the reason for him leaving out Danny Heavron? Heard Damien had rang a few of the boys who were on the panel last year but not this year with his reasons for not including them but Heavron hasn't been contacted at all?

Derry Optimist

• View Profile
« Reply #422 on: December 04, 2017, 10:22:49 AM »
Would be really disappointed if Danny Heavron was not on this  year's Derry panel.He was our best   and most consistent player by a country mile over the last few years.As a fellow club man one would think that  it would be highly unlikely if Damian McErlain did not contact Danny but Toby seems to be adamant that he did not.

For whatever reason it is imperative that all of our best players are available in order to move Derry forward into Division Two and make them more competitive in the championship.Leaders on the field are required and Heavron is one of the best in that regard as well as being a really talented player.

Newbridge Exile

• View Profile
« Reply #423 on: December 04, 2017, 02:39:22 PM »
Would be really disappointed if Danny Heavron was not on this  year's Derry panel.He was our best   and most consistent player by a country mile over the last few years.As a fellow club man one would think that  it would be highly unlikely if Damian McErlain did not contact Danny but Toby seems to be adamant that he did not.

For whatever reason it is imperative that all of our best players are available in order to move Derry forward into Division Two and make them more competitive in the championship.Leaders on the field are required and Heavron is one of the best in that regard as well as being a really talented player.
Was up at the Derry minor trials a few weeks ago and saw Damien McErlain ,Danny Heavron Niall Keenan &Ciaran McFaul amongst others l leaving the building, I could be Wong but I  assume it was a weights session they were just after completing

Derry Optimist

• View Profile
« Reply #424 on: December 04, 2017, 04:29:42 PM »
Thanks "Newbridge Exile" for that encouraging news  re Danny Heavron and the composition of the Derry panel.

Anyhow if one were to go by Damian McErlain's track record in this regard the announcement of the 2018 panel should appear shortly on the official Derry GAA website.

That would bring clarity to all Derry supporters and end unfounded speculation as we would all then know who is on the panel and who is not.

Newbridge Exile

• View Profile
« Reply #425 on: December 05, 2017, 07:18:12 AM »
Thanks "Newbridge Exile" for that encouraging news  re Danny Heavron and the composition of the Derry panel.

Anyhow if one were to go by Damian McErlain's track record in this regard the announcement of the 2018 panel should appear shortly on the official Derry GAA website.

That would bring clarity to all Derry supporters and end unfounded speculation as we would all then know who is on the panel and who is not.
Unfortunately the back page of Irish news says different today  with Danny and Emmett McGuckin not included, can't understand the reasoning to be honest ,six from  Slaughtneil called into panel  with Paul McNeill being the new face amongst them.

toby47

• View Profile
« Reply #426 on: December 05, 2017, 08:09:58 AM »
“A huge boost” is how Derry senior football manager Damian McErlain has described Mark Lynch’s decision to commit to his panel for 2018.

“To be honest, his decision was immediate. He wanted in and we’re delighted about that,” McErlain told DerryGAA.ie. “He’s a central figure for us, a presence and a real leader to have around the panel,” he said of the 31-year-old Banagher man.

McErlain has named a 29-man senior panel with an average age of 24 for the upcoming season, a season which begins with the McKenna Cup on Wednesday 3 January.

With a number of the Derry panel playing with their universities, the new management will use the competition to run their eye over potential senior players of the future. With the U20 championship set to begin in June, new rules mean that any U20 players listed on a senior championship teamsheet will be ruled out for their own age group’s equivalent. However, U20 players are free to play in other competitions such as the national league or McKenna Cup as required.

“We’ll be utilising many of the u20 panel for those McKenna Cup games for sure,” explains McErlain.

“That would have been our approach from the start. The county is bursting with young talent and the door is always open. Others have used that approach in the past and we think it’s a good balance. We can mix some experience with youth.”

Players who won’t be lining out in red and white for Derry’s group games in January are Emmett Bradley and Niall Keenan (with QUB), Terence O’Brien and Danny Tallon (with UU), and Niall Toner (St Mary’s) – all expected to feature for their respective college teams.

“Co-operation with the colleges has been excellent in fairness,” claims McErlain of the panel’s overall preparation during the off-season.

One man who is expected to feature in the Oak Leaf line-up will be Sigerson Cup winner, Ruairi Mooney. The Eoghan Rua man was part of Paddy Tally’s heroic winning St Mary’s team earlier this year and comes into the senior panel for first time. He is joined by would-be senior debutants Oran Hartin (among the 2017 minor goalkeepers), Faughanvale’s Jordan Curran and Slaughtneil’s Paul McNeill.

McNeill is part of the Emmet’s contingent whose involvement in the latter stages of the All-Ireland club championships in hurling and football rules them out of competitive county action for the coming months. However, McErlain sees the situation as a challenge to be welcomed.

“Those lads have earned their shot at their All-Ireland. They’ve been inspirational over the past few years and we’ll support them 100%. That winning attitude tends to rub off on others when the conditions are right and that’s something we’ll be seeking to tap into down the line. For now, it’s certainly a challenge but it’s a great opportunity for others to grab their place. Competition is what we want,” he explains.

The departure of Niall Loughlin to Australia has been a dent to McErlain’s forward options but it’s one that he feels can be overcome.

“Niall has been in great form for club and county this past few years. He has really developed into a fine player. Unfortunately he had this trip booked well in advance. He’s a lad who keeps himself in good shape so we’ll look forward to welcoming him back at some stage down the line, sooner rather than later, we hope.”

Lavey’s Niall Toner is one forward option who returns from an injury which saw him miss all intercounty and most interclub games in 2017.

Emmett Bradley, Michael Bateson, Kevin Johnston, Terence O’Brien and Liam McGoldrick are all returning players that have sampled Ulster championship action and will be welcome additions to the Oak Leaf options for the division three campaign and championship ahead.

“That’s obviously our immediate target, to be competitive in that league,” says McErlain

“We’ve assembled a fresh new panel. We’ve been delighted with the reaction of the players and the support we’ve received so far. Energy levels are high and that’s what we want. 2018 is just around the corner and we can’t wait to get going,” he concludes.

Derry Senior Football Panel 2018: Michael Bateson (Newbridge), Emmett Bradley (Glen), Padraig Cassidy (Slaughtneil), Jack Doherty (Glen), Jordan Curran (Faughanvale), Peter Hagan (Banagher), Oran Hartin (Limavady), Benny Heron (Ballinascreen), Kevin Johnston (Dungiven), Patrick Kearney (Swatragh), Niall Keenan (Castledawson), James Kielt (Kilrea), Mark Lynch (Banagher), Enda Lynn (Greenlough), Conor McAtamney (Swatragh), Michael McEvoy (Magherafelt), Ciaran McFaul (Glen), Liam McGoldrick (Coleraine), Shane McGuigan (Slaughtneil), Chrissy McKaigue (Slaughtneil), Karl McKaigue (Slaughtneil), Ben McKinless (Ballinderry), Paul McNeill (Slaughtneil), Carlus McWilliams (Ballinascreen), Ruairi Mooney (Coleraine), Terence O’Brien (Loup), Brendan Rogers (Slaughtneil), Danny Tallon (Glen), Niall Toner (Lavey).

oakleaflad

• View Profile
« Reply #427 on: December 05, 2017, 09:16:11 AM »
Decent panel. Couple of fresh faces which is good to see. They probably need another goalkeeper. Thought McMullan might have got called up. He's been good this past few seasons. Something has to be up with Danny Heavron and/or the management as he is possibly our best player and is perfectly suited to the way the game is played now. Loughlin being away is a big miss also.

toby47

• View Profile
« Reply #428 on: December 05, 2017, 09:54:04 AM »
Decent panel. Couple of fresh faces which is good to see. They probably need another goalkeeper. Thought McMullan might have got called up. He's been good this past few seasons. Something has to be up with Danny Heavron and/or the management as he is possibly our best player and is perfectly suited to the way the game is played now. Loughlin being away is a big miss also.

Personally I don't think it is a decent panel at all, especially giving that the slaughtneil men could potentially be missing until March. I honestly don't think we will see much progress this year. Far far too many bang average players.

braveheart

• View Profile
« Reply #429 on: December 05, 2017, 11:22:09 AM »
It's a very positive squad IMO. I don't see any mediocre players and it certainly looks more positive than previous management's who had players who wouldn't have made a top club side in Derry. I'm surprised Mark Lynch and James Kielt are back but I must say the rest look youthful and energetic

braveheart

• View Profile
« Reply #430 on: December 05, 2017, 11:30:11 AM »
A squad of 45 named in the new minor squad. Very noticeable the amount from South Derry on it-33 from South Derry,12 from North Derry. This squad has been picked by a Donegal man and a Tyrone man so no biased opinions this time

Rawhide

• View Profile
« Reply #431 on: December 05, 2017, 11:33:55 AM »
A squad of 45 named in the new minor squad. Very noticeable the amount from South Derry on it-33 from South Derry,12 from North Derry. This squad has been picked by a Donegal man and a Tyrone man so no biased opinions this time

No surprise in that, south derry has always been where the football strong hold is in the county, your stating the obvious, however I fully take your point that it has been selected by a Donegal man.
cccc is a true supporter lol

toby47

• View Profile
« Reply #432 on: December 05, 2017, 11:54:29 AM »
It's a very positive squad IMO. I don't see any mediocre players and it certainly looks more positive than previous management's who had players who wouldn't have made a top club side in Derry. I'm surprised Mark Lynch and James Kielt are back but I must say the rest look youthful and energetic

No mediocre players? Come on, lets be honest

oakleaflad

• View Profile
« Reply #433 on: December 05, 2017, 11:55:34 AM »

No surprise in that, south derry has always been where the football strong hold is in the county, your stating the obvious, however I fully take your point that it has been selected by a Donegal man.
Why does it matter where in Derry they are from? So long as the best players are picked I couldn't care less if they are from Bellaghy or Magilligan.

braveheart

• View Profile
« Reply #434 on: December 05, 2017, 12:03:43 PM »

Why does it matter where in Derry they are from? So long as the best players are picked I couldn't care less if they are from Bellaghy or Magilligan.
I was just stating the facts. It was very obvious and really stood out to me.