Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewobbler

Bridge beat Ballyholland 0.9 to 0.6. It was rubbish game of football, with lots of regulars missing in both teams, in very windy conditions.

Not much between the sides apart from a five minute spell at the end of the first half when the Bridge knocked over five in a row. The better side did win though; Ballyholland never got any momentum going at all. Partly down to excellent Bridge defending, but I couldn't help feeling that Harps were trying to play Mayobridge rather than play their own game. We looked worn out at the end.

Murphy had another very decent hour for Harps. All of Mayobridge's defence can be happy, and their new recruit from Newtownhamilton looks like a tidy addition to their ranks.

general

Mitchels 1.08 Glenn 2.09

SHEEDY

clonduff beat rostrevor by 4.
nil satis nisi optimum

supersub

Clonduff 2-7 1-7 Rostrevor

Poor game in very windy conditions. Clonduff managed 1-1 into the gale in the first 2 minutes but isn't score again in the half, likewise rostrevor scored only once in 2nd period. Poor performances by both teams, clonduff getting a goal at the end to win it!

Naomh Pol CLG

Drumaness 2-12 St Pauls 0-6...

Poor enough display from us today in the windiest conditions Ihave played in for manys a year...Drumaness adapted to the gale much better than we did....

Aw Well, onwards and upwards, Aghaderg on Friday at home, lets hope we can get back to winning ways.

ardtole

Regarding the amalgamation for this years sfc, apparently Bredagh and St. Pauls were willing to amalgamate with Carryduff but Carryduff voted against the proposal. Seemingly at the county board meeting it was the junior clubs in general that passed the ask lecale team and apparently we could see more of these amalgamated teams next year.

No1

Ardtole, do you know who proposed this ASK team or where the idea originated?

13aside

this idea was mentioned at county board level about five years ago and knocked back,the proposal was to give the chance to more footballers in the county to play senior c'ship from wjs i believe

13aside

cant see the logic np76 as young murphy has been recalled and rightly so because of his club displays this far

ardtole

Quote from: No1 on May 09, 2011, 08:22:06 AM
Ardtole, do you know who proposed this ASK team or where the idea originated?
As far as I know No 1, the push came from the county board itself, with Eddie Harney prompting things from this side, I could be totally wrong though. Most of the players knew little or nothing about it on sat night. On the whole people in Ardglass are positive enough about the whole idea and are willing to give it a good lash. What is the reception to it in kilclief? my gut feeling is it wouldnt be as well received with some of your more hardcore followers.

outinfront

Bredagh and Carryduff?  I really can't see that.

PAULD123

Clann na Banna  1-6 1-9 Warrenpoint 

Things looking tight in Division 2 at the start of the season.

Good away win for the Point.

Square Ball

Quote from: outinfront on May 09, 2011, 03:13:37 PM
Bredagh and Carryduff?  I really can't see that.

Just curious here, but why not?
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Pangurban

About ten years ago it was Co.Board policy to encourage and if possible force small clubs to amalgamate, not on a temporary basis but permanently. I suspect this proposal is a revival of that thinking, with a more subtle strategy

ardtole

If Ardglass and Kilclief can amalgamate, believe me, carryduff and bredagh can amalgamate also. From what I hear there will potentially be a few more of these amalgamations proposed for next years championship. I can understand the dundrum posters arguement that the origional 16 teams have qualified for the sfc and lecale have not and I probably would have been of a similar opinion myself. I remember 2 years ago watching Ardglass v Ballymartin in the Ifc semi-final, and I stayed on to watch the Burren v Kilcoo game and to be honest the gulf in standard was enormous.
How the amalgamated team gets on is anyones guess, nobody expects them to win it but if they get their act together in the next week or so they would be well able to provide a shock or 2.