Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Down Follower

Quote from: Smurfy123 on October 08, 2018, 11:53:49 AM
The county board could confirm that the game is null and void which then leaves Downpatrick in the bottom 3 and a playoff with An Riocht. I think that's probably the best outcome for all involved here. Castlewellan will probably be hoping for that
Castlwellan will be safe anyway. They will most likely beat Bryansford which will leave them on 20pts and if they get to that figure then they cant be sucked into bottom 3 due to other things like score difference etc.

Smurfy123

It has worked out well for Castlewellan with most teams downing tools for them to pick up points with maybe the acception of Downpatrick. I can't see much else the county board can do except null and void the match and fire out a few suspensions and fines.

saulzer

Why null and void the match when went to full time?  To do that would give Ballyholland an advantage.  Ballyholland started the row that led to the first match being abandoned when they were 12 points down.  A Ballyholland spectator started the row in yesterday's game.  They would be rewarded for thuggery. You really didb't think that one through, did you?

Green+Gold

Quote from: Smurfy123 on October 08, 2018, 12:17:16 PM
It has worked out well for Castlewellan with most teams downing tools for them to pick up points with maybe the acception of Downpatrick. I can't see much else the county board can do except null and void the match and fire out a few suspensions and fines.

So Downpatrick beat Ballyholland twice and get awarded no points which will put them into a relegation play-off? Surely that would set a precedent for any team getting beat with 10 mins to go to try and get the game abandoned.

befair

Quote from: Green+Gold on October 08, 2018, 01:28:03 PM
Quote from: Smurfy123 on October 08, 2018, 12:17:16 PM

So Downpatrick beat Ballyholland twice and get awarded no points which will put them into a relegation play-off? Surely that would set a precedent for any team getting beat with 10 mins to go to try and get the game abandoned.

I was at the first match, which was also abandoned after a melee; were there any sanctions/suspensions after that game?

Down Follower

So technically it wasn't abandoned after a melee. It was abandoned due to poor light after it took quite a while to get an injured player up and the floodlights weren't working!!  The only suspension from it seems to be a for Downpatrick player who I gather was involved in the Ballyholland player getting hurt.
Also, the rematch wasn't abandoned, it had played through to full time.  Cant see it being declared null and void therefore.  Downpatrick will likely be given the points for this game bringing them to 18 and Ballyholland 19.
There will likely be significant suspensions which would obviously hit both teams going into the last games as well as fines, and there could also be a points deduction for each team which would still leave them within a point of each other going into last game but would avoid the the scenario of Ballyholland benefitting from a null and void.

Square Ball

On a lighter note. Congtatulations to our Minor hurlers who won the championship yesterday for the first time in our history. Now the hard bit, keeping these players together and challange for senior titles in years to come. I know it doesnt work like that, but those have to be out aspirations. Think small, stay small
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

JimmyFloydMay123

Was there only one team misbehaving in kilcoo? From the sounds of this discussion all the anger seems to be directed towards Ballyholland. Let's not forget that the first encounter was abandoned due to a RGU player kicking an opponent in the head.

Hedgehunter

How did Murtagh get his Jaw broke??

saulzer

In an unfortunate accidental clash with his own teammate during a passage of play

johnnycool

Quote from: Square Ball on October 08, 2018, 04:48:00 PM
On a lighter note. Congtatulations to our Minor hurlers who won the championship yesterday for the first time in our history. Now the hard bit, keeping these players together and challange for senior titles in years to come. I know it doesnt work like that, but those have to be out aspirations. Think small, stay small

Congrats to the Bredagh hurlers and importantly the coaches who've put in the hours with those lads.

As you say getting them to senior hurling is the next big trick but hopefully the U21 competition will keep their interests going over the winter months when they can drift off never to be seen again.

champion1981

who we going for on sunday folks kilcoo or burren?
it will be a tight 1 to call i think!
going with burren by +2

DownFanatic

Quote from: johnnycool on October 09, 2018, 11:53:00 AM

Congrats to the Bredagh hurlers and importantly the coaches who've put in the hours with those lads.

As you say getting them to senior hurling is the next big trick but hopefully the U21 competition will keep their interests going over the winter months when they can drift off never to be seen again.

This only the second time a team from outside the Ards has won the MHC?

johnnycool

Quote from: DownFanatic on October 09, 2018, 01:00:28 PM

Possibly,
Carryduff won it a four or five years back, don't think Liatroim managed it even though they come close and possibly should have beaten our lads in the Marshes two years ago but lost the plot at the end when cool heads were needed.
Kilclief and AnRiocht got to finals back in the day as well.

Carryduff didn't build on their win and aren't competing in underage hurling at any level but have a decent enough U12 outfit.

Bredagh are competitive all the way down and considering they won 4 feiles on the bounce and this is the only Minor they've to show for that domination they really need to blood these lads into adult hurling ASAP.
They'll be strong enough again next year as well though.

Downtothewire

Quote from: johnnycool on October 09, 2018, 01:09:08 PM
Quote from: DownFanatic on October 09, 2018, 01:00:28 PM

Possibly,
Carryduff won it a four or five years back, don't think Liatroim managed it even though they come close and possibly should have beaten our lads in the Marshes two years ago but lost the plot at the end when cool heads were needed.
Kilclief and AnRiocht got to finals back in the day as well.

Carryduff didn't build on their win and aren't competing in underage hurling at any level but have a decent enough U12 outfit.

Bredagh are competitive all the way down and considering they won 4 feiles on the bounce and this is the only Minor they've to show for that domination they really need to blood these lads into adult hurling ASAP.
They'll be strong enough again next year as well though.

Liatroim won Minor Hurling in 2014