The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedHand88

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on February 12, 2019, 01:04:28 AM
If this thread is anything to go by, I don't know how anyone could live in America.

Not singling out either side, but the constant arguing of sides must be absolutely exhausting. Is there anything that isn't picked apart on a daily basis??

Type of washing machine ffs  :o

There is no middle ground anymore. Everyone has to pick a side and defend it vigorously, whilst shooting down anything the other side says. Case in point, the democrats refusing to clap or stand during trumps state of the union mention of reducing the activity of sex traffickers...
There's plenty of cases the other way too. Social media has made things 100 times worse. It's why I left it a long time ago.

whitey

Quote from: omaghjoe on February 12, 2019, 03:29:45 AM
Anyone do their taxes?
Defo eyebrow raising.

From what I can tell that's  pure spin from the media trying to make Trump look bad

The implication is that people are paying more in taxes this year, but that does not seem to be the reality. You get a refund if you over pay during the preceding year. You could very easily pay less in taxes year over year and yet have a smaller refund if you didn't change your deductions

My job brings me into daily contact with financial advisors, some of whom are CPAS. The ones who aren't CPAS would know exactly what their clients tax situation is.

J70

Anyone do their taxes?
Defo eyebrow raising.

Yep. Ours increased quite a bit. Ended up owing the feds, after years of nice refunds for the exact same deductions and paying extra through the year.

Dolph1

Quote from: RedHand88 on February 12, 2019, 08:17:06 AM
Quote from: Never beat the deeler on February 12, 2019, 01:04:28 AM
If this thread is anything to go by, I don't know how anyone could live in America.

Not singling out either side, but the constant arguing of sides must be absolutely exhausting. Is there anything that isn't picked apart on a daily basis??

Type of washing machine ffs  :o

There is no middle ground anymore. Everyone has to pick a side and defend it vigorously, whilst shooting down anything the other side says. Case in point, the democrats refusing to clap or stand during trumps state of the union mention of reducing the activity of sex traffickers...
There's plenty of cases the other way too. Social media has made things 100 times worse. It's why I left it a long time ago.

When the democrats are standing up for some of the worst ideas ever imagined it's pretty hard not to be polarized. They have lost the plot recently on some issues which would have been deemed common sense 20 years ago.
Trump 2020. Making America Greater Again

TabClear

Quote from: J70 on February 12, 2019, 10:50:20 AM
Anyone do their taxes?
Defo eyebrow raising.

Yep. Ours increased quite a bit. Ended up owing the feds, after years of nice refunds for the exact same deductions and paying extra through the year.

How does tax work in the US? Does everyone have to do a tax return and most average workers "overpay" during the year and then receive rebates for expenses or is it like the UK where the average joe pretty much pays everything through their employer?

screenexile

No more shutdown!!!!

Will be interesting to see how Trump spins this as a win when he's getting about 1/4 of what he asked for and a barrier instead of a wall. . . he'll sure try though!!!

Dolph1

Quote from: screenexile on February 12, 2019, 12:25:35 PM
No more shutdown!!!!

Will be interesting to see how Trump spins this as a win when he's getting about 1/4 of what he asked for and a barrier instead of a wall. . . he'll sure try though!!!

He's starting to build the wall as he promised in his election manifesto. It's irrelevant how much it covers as he can push for more after this deal is done and campaign on continuing construction.

2020 re-election just got even more likely.

God bless President Trump.   :)

easytiger95

Quote from: Dolph1 on February 11, 2019, 07:09:27 PM
Quote from: easytiger95 on February 11, 2019, 07:00:50 PM
Quote from: Dolph1 on February 11, 2019, 06:24:42 PM
"Governor Northam has lost all moral authority and should resign immediately, Justin Fairfax is the leader Virginia needs now."

Joe Biden - Feb 2nd

He is indeed. PMSL. Boy the Democrats have been quiet this week - they know they've taken a hiding.
From Virginia to Trump's mega-SOTU to Occasio-Idiots cow flatulence ban. Democrats want to turn everyone into soyboys.

I take it soyboy is a bad thing? What is the opposite of being a soyboy?

A man.
It's pretty bad. Soyboys are pathetic excuses for humans.

If this bunch of nutjobs get in you'll be eating quorn and tofu for every meal. No more meat.

So I assume by your antipathy to soy, you don't use it. Which makes you a man?

J70

Quote from: TabClear on February 12, 2019, 12:08:52 PM
Quote from: J70 on February 12, 2019, 10:50:20 AM
Anyone do their taxes?
Defo eyebrow raising.

How does tax work in the US? Does everyone have to do a tax return and most average workers "overpay" during the year and then receive rebates for expenses or is it like the UK where the average joe pretty much pays everything through their employer?

Yep, everyone has to file a return. You yourself decide how much you want to pay during the year. You can pay f**k all, and then settle up at return time, or you can overpay and get a refund.

Was much simpler in Ireland with the PAYE system, where the employer decided, week to week, how much you owed to that point in the year and withheld accordingly.

Dolph1

Quote from: easytiger95 on February 12, 2019, 02:49:36 PM
"Governor Northam has lost all moral authority and should resign immediately, Justin Fairfax is the leader Virginia needs now."

Joe Biden - Feb 2nd

He is indeed. PMSL. Boy the Democrats have been quiet this week - they know they've taken a hiding.
From Virginia to Trump's mega-SOTU to Occasio-Idiots cow flatulence ban. Democrats want to turn everyone into soyboys.

A man.

If this bunch of nutjobs get in you'll be eating quorn and tofu for every meal. No more meat.

Watch Cuck Central weeknights  ;D

omaghjoe

Quote from: whitey on February 12, 2019, 09:52:58 AM
Anyone do their taxes?
Defo eyebrow raising.

From what I can tell that's  pure spin from the media trying to make Trump look bad

The implication is that people are paying more in taxes this year, but that does not seem to be the reality. You get a refund if you over pay during the preceding year. You could very easily pay less in taxes year over year and yet have a smaller refund if you didn't change your deductions

My job brings me into daily contact with financial advisors, some of whom are CPAS. The ones who aren't CPAS would know exactly what their clients tax situation is.

Have you done your taxes yet?
I dunno about the media or CPAs but I know for sure I am defo paying more tax
Are you?

whitey

Quote from: omaghjoe on February 12, 2019, 04:02:24 PM
Quote from: whitey on February 12, 2019, 09:52:58 AM
Anyone do their taxes?
Defo eyebrow raising.

Have you done your taxes yet?
I dunno about the media or CPAs but I know for sure I am defo paying more tax
Are you?

Haven't had them done yet.....getting everything together for my CPA this weekend

For me I always had a lot of deductions for non reimbursed business expenses. Seemingly those deductions have gone away, but the standard deduction has doubled so hopefully it's a wash.

I think The threshold for AMT has changed-that's probably where I'll make out

Gmac

Trump Russia is fake news that's official now

easytiger95

Quote from: Dolph1 on February 12, 2019, 03:36:33 PM

Joe Biden - Feb 2nd

A man.

You didn't answer my question. If you're not a soyboy, what are you?

Dolph1

Quote from: easytiger95 on February 12, 2019, 05:08:47 PM
Quote from: Dolph1 on February 12, 2019, 03:36:33 PM

Joe Biden - Feb 2nd

A man.

You didn't answer my question. If you're not a soyboy, what are you?

I'd call myself an alpha male.
I like God, cars, guns and hot women. And GAA.