Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhilsJemmysField

Apparently U21 were playing a challenge at the weekend anybody hear how they got on

BigMac

It's good to see Nesty back. Was one of the best we had last year. His free taking alone is almost worth his place. As you say Dougal, we've had plenty of worse full backs in the last few years, although I do think he is better out the field, he can definitely do a job in there. Cahill is also a big improvement on Damien O Reilly in my opinion. Pierson I would imagine will still get some game time, so all in all I'm very hopeful/confident of a win. Just on Givney, he isn't under 21 is he? Sigerson is over, he's supposedly injury free, where is he? We've all been talking about him being the future of Cavan mid field for ages now. He's now 22, the future is now. At this age he should be the main stay in the engine room. If he is going to be a top midfielder in Ulster/ Ireland he needs to start playing. Probably not his fault that he's not playing but it's time he started to live up to his reputation. Sean Cavanagh had an All Star and all Ireland at 20. Aidan Walsh had an All Star and all Ireland at 20. It's time we stopped wrapping him in cotton wool and let him play.

angellady

Quote from: PhilsJemmysField on March 09, 2011, 04:36:53 PM
Apparently U21 were playing a challenge at the weekend anybody hear how they got on

heard they were well bet by down. full back line was destroyed as was Gearoid in midfield. o meara the goalkeeper let in a few soft goals too (think it was four!!!!!) i heard need to get that position sorted fast. barry reilly quiet, leddy was the best of the forwards.

Louth will be sticky this weekend is it home or in away?

whats my name

Sean Cavanagh had an All Star and all Ireland at 20. Aidan Walsh had an All Star and all Ireland at 20. thats easy to say when they play with good teams wining games for fun unfortunately givney plays with cavan and wining 1 game in the championship is the best people can expect from the team. on a brighter note nesty is back might be a little rusty as he hasn't played in so long but its a great boost to the side and hopefully we get a win on our travels in limerick win this one and we are in the promotion race after a very shaky start

BigMac

That's exactly my point WMN – Sean Cavanagh and Aidan Walsh were playing with good teams with masses of good players and they didn't feel the need to keep them in bubble wrap. Cavan win one championship game a year, roughly, in the last ten years. What would we be keeping him safe for? We don't have enough players to wait until he is 25 to let him play. He is now 22, time to get him out there and let him live up to all the talk. I can't believe he isn't playing this weekend. If he was fit enough to play midfield for Sligo in the Sigerson two weeks ago, surely he is fit enough for us against Limerick.

boojangles

Pierson is injured. Will be out for 2-3 weeks.

tommysmith

Quote from: BigMac on March 10, 2011, 03:09:08 PM
That's exactly my point WMN – Sean Cavanagh and Aidan Walsh were playing with good teams with masses of good players and they didn't feel the need to keep them in bubble wrap. Cavan win one championship game a year, roughly, in the last ten years. What would we be keeping him safe for? We don't have enough players to wait until he is 25 to let him play. He is now 22, time to get him out there and let him live up to all the talk. I can't believe he isn't playing this weekend. If he was fit enough to play midfield for Sligo in the Sigerson two weeks ago, surely he is fit enough for us against Limerick.

With out knowing the facts i would imagine there is some injury reason why he isnt starting, its not as if Cavan have a policy of bubble wrapping young players.

mylestheslasher

According to the celt givney has an ankle injury

Denn Forever

Saw on previous post that throw in was at 1.00 but according to Haganstand today, throw in at the  Limerick venue is at 12.45pm on Sunday afternoon.

You might miss 15mins of brilliance.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

rodney trotter

Good to see Nesty Smith back in a cavan jersey. He was probaly cavans best player last year.. Great free taker and brillant passing ability,surprised he isnt at centre forward with fannin on the wing. Brennan is back aswell which is good,he didnt play the last few league games. I heard butsy carrol left the panal last week, heard he didnt commitment which was a bit of a surprise,although he enjoys the student life probaly too much for a county player.

Westside

Lose by 4. Typical Cavan performance, losing by 5 at half time, work themselves back into the game, level it up with 4 minutes left and then get a man sent off and give away a sloppy goal. Defence were mowed through time and again.. Division 4 beckons.

Dougal

Quote from: boojangles on March 13, 2011, 02:22:11 PM
Quote from: Dougal on March 13, 2011, 02:16:59 PM
game over,yet again jordan gets sent off,whats that?twice in 5 starts?

Thats what ya get when ya play lads out of position. One corner back sent off and the other replaced in the 1st half.

thought id bring this back to the cavan thread.who replaced toastie?where does jordan normally play for lavey?if i remember rightly he came on at wing forward in the junior match against louth last year?
Fcuk you I won't do what ya tell me!!!

boojangles

Quote from: Dougal on March 13, 2011, 02:30:08 PM
Quote from: boojangles on March 13, 2011, 02:22:11 PM
Quote from: Dougal on March 13, 2011, 02:16:59 PM
game over,yet again jordan gets sent off,whats that?twice in 5 starts?

Thats what ya get when ya play lads out of position. One corner back sent off and the other replaced in the 1st half.

thought id bring this back to the cavan thread.who replaced toastie?where does jordan normally play for lavey?if i remember rightly he came on at wing forward in the junior match against louth last year?

Dane O Dowd came on for Toasty. Another lad who is not a corner back.
Jordan plays around the middle for Lavey. Could be Midfield or Half Forward. He started wing forward against Louth that day.

tommysmith

Looks like we are heading for divison 4 now alright which is the right level for this team.

Ollie

That's the second time this year Stephan Jordan has got himself sent off which resulted in Cavan losing the game. He did the same against Tyrone in the Mckenna cup semi-final. The backline is a major issue for us. We don't seem to have any quality backs who can actually defend. The likes of O'Dowd, McCutcheon, Sheridan are all attack-minded defenders..
On the plus side we did give a spirited display for most of the second half until the sending off. Good seeing Lyng, Givney and Keating involved today. We can now forget about promotion and concentrate on winning the remainder of our games or at least built on this performance.
Things aren't going great but I'm a little bit more optimistic now than I was this time last year.