Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swadman

Prepare to be shocked!

I'm guessing here but are you hinting at "ghostly goings on"

Swadman

Myles, Dougal, I hope to get up to Templeport on Sat 4th to see ye play Drumlane. I have to appear at my clubs Golf Classic  in Ballinamore first but am looking forward to a cracker. Maybe I should bring my "golf stick" for protection.

Westside

Might take a wander down to that myself.. Sparks could fly! What's the story around Swad? Surely eyeing up Shercock as main contenders now. Gearoid's return will have been a big boost..

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Swadman on August 30, 2010, 10:24:14 PM

Prepare to be shocked!

I'm guessing here but are you hinting at "ghostly goings on"

:D Yer some boy.

Swadman

Quote from: Westside on August 30, 2010, 10:48:57 PM
Might take a wander down to that myself.. Sparks could fly! What's the story around Swad? Surely eyeing up Shercock as main contenders now. Gearoid's return will have been a big boost..
Yea, a major boost to have him back, tempered a bit by the loss of Aidy McGoldrick who was back to his teak tough best recently but is out now with a knee injury.
The lads seem focused and the discipline is better. They should have too much for Arva in Breffni but I hope they don't take it for granted. I watched Shannon Gaels beat Templeport (just about) so I would like to get them in the semi and avoid Shercock. They are serious contenders this year under Jody Clarke. Playing in a higher division (2) should help them overcome Mountnugent.  The Munchies should beat Kildallan now that its in Breffni.

put-it-up-again

Well lads,

Something weird happened to my last account, couldn't log in no matter what I tried to do over the last few weeks - I am sure you all remember me.  ;D

I saw in the Celt today we are looking towards the HOPE programme.

Hard Work
Opportunity
Progression
Energy

Not such if that was actually that but it was something similar. Sounds pretty gay and a little cliched but already sounds better than the last regime if they implement it to any degree.

cogito

Was told by a reliable source today that Canavan was approached by both Cavan and Fermanagh but he said that he won't be going into IC management for another few years.

anglocelt39

Heard Val talking about his HOPE program on the radio the other night. This is the sort of guff you tend to hear at work training courses by these management guru's that are hawking their wares. Tends to turn a fair few people off but those that stick with it tend to get something from some of these theories, not sure how you apply it to the simple task getting out there and kicking a ball around but sure we'll see.

In fairness to him, comes across as a lot more animated and enthusiastic than Tommy did, at least in the media.

Not a huge surprise if Canavan turned ourselves and the neighbours down, there's a good chance he'll get better offers to start his inter county career on a positive note.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

cavanmaniac

Andrews has some sort of a qualification in psychology and stuff, so he tends to talk about this sort of thing a lot.

I have little or no opinion on his appointment. At least there's finally somebody in charge now but the inclusion of King when his standing is so low in the county managerial-wise, smacks of tokenism. As does the joint managers thing, which could be a disaster. The last half-successful management duo was Art McRory and Eugene McKenna in Tyrone but they clearly divided their duties and knew where they stood. Hyland on the other hand would clearly have had designs on the top job and may not be willing to share or may try to go beyond his remit, whatever it may or may not have been established to be. Then again, him and Val go back a long way and have a good friendship, maybe we might even have seen this coming.

Who knows what will happen? I certainly won't be getting my knickers in a twist worrying about it anyway, Cavan senior football has long since stopped giving anything back to supporters like you or me and it's still all about the minors and U21s AFAIC.

Denn Forever

The Kildare credo of -10  +16 seemed to work well this season (eventually) so let us wait and see.

How has Managenent watch been going?  Have the management team been seen at any games so far?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

boojangles

Quote from: Denn Forever on September 02, 2010, 12:22:02 PM
The Kildare credo of -10  +16 seemed to work well this season (eventually) so let us wait and see.

How has Managenent watch been going?  Have the management team been seen at any games so far?

I don't think that is one aspect where the management will be found wanting. I'm sure Terry will have most games covered.
Talking about aims for the year or 3 year term its hard to know what should be the objectives. Promotion should probably be the main one but then look at what Roscommon did this year against a team who went in the opposite direction (Sligo). Although I still say playing at least Div 2 football is a must for Cavan in the next 2 years.
A Full-Back has to be found and would be of more immediate importance than any long term objective because basically without a good, comfortable full-back we are going nowhere.

Breffni_Yank

I am cautiously optimistic about the new management. Im just happy to have people there that seem enthusiastic about Cavan football.

I read the celt today and I get the impression we are going to be a lot of new faces....who they are though beats me  ???

I would imagine 3 or 4 u21's will be given a genuine chance and agree that Terry will be alot of games so it will be interesting to see what kind of panel is put together. I think that orignal panel will be a good indicator if the new management ar going in the right direction.

put-it-up-again

Quote from: boojangles on September 02, 2010, 12:53:54 PM
Quote from: Denn Forever on September 02, 2010, 12:22:02 PM

I don't think that is one aspect where the management will be found wanting. I'm sure Terry will have most games covered.
Talking about aims for the year or 3 year term its hard to know what should be the objectives. Promotion should probably be the main one but then look at what Roscommon did this year against a team who went in the opposite direction (Sligo). Although I still say playing at least Div 2 football is a must for Cavan in the next 2 years.
A Full-Back has to be found and would be of more immediate importance than any long term objective because basically without a good, comfortable full-back we are going nowhere.

I think that should be out main goal for the year and it is definitely possible if you hit the ground running. Divisione 3 is very much a level playing field.

I too will be very interested to see the first panel that is picked. I think a lot of familiar faces will be cut. It will do the set up no harm either. A good clean-out is needed and the lads that have the good attitudes will prove themselves and force their way back in.

One thing I would say is there is very little star quality in the county. T & V are going to have to scour the county and find players that have the raw attributes needed to fill a certain position. There are no polished gems, or very few of them, and I think a lot of coaching/polishing will need to be done in the months of January, Feb and March to get the new faces, be young or old, familiar with the game-plan.

The happy go lucky football, where we go out and try to play nice attacking football and if we get bet we get bet has to stop. We need to start maximising limited resources and become a hard-worlking team that is hard to beat. If that means dropping a few talented lads that won't do the donkey work on the field then so be it.

i think we need our own version of what went on in Dublin this year. Shake-up the panel and get players to fit a system. Nobody expects Cavan to go out and win something but it would be alot nicer if we could go out and genuinely put it up (forgive the pun) to teams like Roscommon, Sligo, Limerick did this year. We need to stop trying to out-play teams (which has failed us miserably recently) and focus on starting to out-work them.  That would be a solid foundation and if the new management come close to implementing that philosophy in their first year I will be happy.

Lawrence of Knockbride

PIU, would you take that cyaavan yoke away from your name.
I agree that the first panel will be indicative and if certain people are still on it then I'll be watching league football in front of the TV ather than around the country.
I don't however think there needs to be a huge overhaul of the players if you think of who has been in around the scene over the past 5-10 years. I won't go into who I think shouldn't be there but I'd like to see a new keeper in the panel or at least see your man from Drumlane get more of a chance. As Boojangles said FB is probably our biggest problem and the word is that Eoin Smith wasn't so good for his club in the championship. I've no reall suggestions except your man from Lavey who I'd like to see getting a go. But I would dearly love to see Keith Fannin back in and playing somewhere further forward than he's been allowed to in the past. The likes of Pierson and Lyng, if fully committed (and that's a massive if) should be brought in. Trevor Crowe obviously and I don't want to hear about age being a problem. I hear that Declan McKiernan is out for a while but I'd like to see him and GearĂ³id and the third McKiernan lad from Lacken brought in for a run. Also Rory Dunne needs to come back in.
What I'm getting at is that we've had plenty of good players in and around the panel and for a variety of reasons we haven't seen the best of them, be it their temperament, the lack of motivation being given to them or playing out of positoin. If we can get the HOPE operation in action we could have a decent team.