Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boojangles

Quote from: jonb_cúl on October 20, 2009, 12:23:25 PM

Also, I heard a rumour that the man in charge on sunday with gaels/galls game is in employment in a large insurance company in the town. this has to be wrong on two levels;
A. He works in the area of one the teams
B. he works with a member of the geals teams (who may have been sent off!!!!)

Its an awful shame,as the player in question is a terrific footballer but its one side of his game that really lets him down.He really gets in referees faces when decisions aren't going his way but I suppose its too late for him to change at this stage.

I don't mean to be getting at the Gaels, but what sort of an example was our Coaching and Development Officer giving on Sunday? By all accounts it wasn't good. Would this be tolerated in other counties??

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Lawrence of Knockbride on October 20, 2009, 05:24:57 PM
Well a few were mentioned in a previous post and I was talking to a lad from Killeshadnra who said Tomás Reilly was training with them last week too.

Well if it is boxing they want there are a couple of other Killeshandra players that are fond of it. I never went into it much before but the behaviour of some of the leaguers the last game I was at (vrs Kingscourt) was a disgrace. Non stop niggle, boxing etc. They have a nasty element to their game which is doing them no favours since they are effectively a bunch of kids. It is a pointless bit of hard man macho shite that any manager with half a brain would have got out of them. If they bring it up to senior league with them they'll get the shite bet out of them.

Drung

QuoteIt is a pointless bit of hard man macho shite that any manager with half a brain would have got out of them
Warning, gratuitous Stephen King jibe here.

I'm joking Mylie, you are right in what you say. However, isn't Junior McKiernan the real manager out there as you revealed before? Surely he has a full brain and could stamp this out?

beer baron

Well if it is boxing they want there are a couple of other Killeshandra players that are fond of it.

Your right myles and one of the chief culprits is a player a lot of people want in the cavan squad.

Celt_Man

Quote from: Drung on October 20, 2009, 06:59:38 PM
QuoteIt is a pointless bit of hard man macho shite that any manager with half a brain would have got out of them

I'm joking Mylie, you are right in what you say. However, isn't Junior McKiernan the real manager out there as you revealed before? Surely he has a full brain and could stamp this out?

He isn't the manager at all, whole new set up in this year.  Is it some Damien O'Reilly fella maybe??  Can't remember where he is from
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

boojangles

Ciaran Reilly from Mullahoran was their manager this year. I remember somebody touching on this a good while back-a Bailieboro poster. It is more the verbal stuff some of them are fond off,like Beer Baron mentioned,but can't say they are any worse than a few other clubs around the County.A few of them mite have to learn a few harsh lessons in Division One -thats the best way it will be stamped out.

Celt_Man

Quote from: boojangles on October 20, 2009, 07:18:58 PM

Ciaran Reilly from Mullahoran was their manager this year. I remember somebody touching on this a good while back-a Bailieboro poster. It is more the verbal stuff some of them are fond off,like Beer Baron mentioned,but can't say they are any worse than a few other clubs around the County.A few of them mite have to learn a few harsh lessons in Division One -thats the best way it will be stamped out.

Aye they love the verbals... shouting at someone "ahh look at this fella, he is only a sub on an intermediate team" when a sub is coming onto the field is a bit stupid really... Especially when it was (at the time) Killeshandra's second game in the Intermediate/ Division 2 league last year.  Doubt it had the desired effect though, our sub started to laugh at him, really put him off his game like!!

Lawrence of Knockbride

Are you being sarcastic Drung? Myles, set him straight on this one.

BallyhaiseMan

I Played against Slashers twice this year,didnt find them any worse than a lot of other teams,
verbally or over physical.They certainly dont have the size  for the latter to be effective as they are a young skillfull light enough team.

JMohan

Quote from: PhilsJemmysField on October 15, 2009, 05:45:13 PM
This is coming from county board minutes send out by our secretary, so looks like they are trying to shake up the strength side of things. Also looks like divisions or something might be going to change

Performance Facilitation Group.(Niall Lynch).
Niall spoke about the need for a strength and conditioning coach in Cavan . With this in mind Phil, Martin and Niall met with Fergus Connolly who is the strength and conditioning coach for Welsh Rugby.Fergus would train Cavan personnel to become aware of this type of training and would help in any way possible. This could be used by clubs also and would develop players to become possible County players.Niall stressed that this wasn't just for the term of the present team management but would continue with whatever management was in place.Phil thanked Niall for his contribution to the meeting.

Fixtures Task Force.
Phil spoke about the fixtures task force. Tony Brady said the presentation of this document was poor and we needed to be more professional inn this department.
Liam read out the points for discussion  and the main fear was the relegation fromm Division 3 to 4.
The first 10 and 12 names were not working and something was needed to improve this.
Some members felt that it was wrong of some clubs to organize a meeting among themselves. It was asked why clubs couldn't ask the County Board to facilitate such a meeting.
Phil said he would set up a committee and there would be another County Committee meeting to decide on the way forward.

If it's true that Fergus Connolly is assisting or helping on a structured basis - which I would be amazed at - you have to take your hat off to the County Board for going, getting and convincing him to work with them.
From what I've heard he's a very intelligent and very highly sought after sports science expert.

I just hope that if he or someone like him is helping the county that the coaches and players makes use of it and we can turn the county's football around.
I like the way Niall Lynch stressed it was a longer term plan too which is vital for any success down the line.
I'm not sure how they will ensure that if a new manager comes in they won't get rid of everything - but it sounds good anyway.

It does look as though it's the CB though who are doing all the work - not TC ... or is that just how it appears.

Won't get excited just yet, but I'll watch the developments over the winter with interest.

Celt_Man

Quote from: Thastheball on October 21, 2009, 02:13:23 PM
we can bring in all the S&C guru's in the world and it won't make any difference unless we start coaching in our clubs from u6 and u8s with real quality 10 months of the year.

JM don't get excited

The only problem with that is it will take 15 - 18 years to see the full benefits of that at Senior Inter County level so what do we do in the meantime?  Just forget about all the County teams until then??

JMohan

We can all find faults if we wait long enough and look hard enough. It's easy to be negative.

It seems like a genuine effort to bring some kind of professionalism to the structure - so why not be positive?

Sure one guru ain't going to change everything - but it's a positive step in my book

whats my name

Fergus Connolly as far as im aware is working in a consultancy role with the management not directly with the team so i have heard he's making out a conditioning plan for players based on position weight height etc

Swadman

A friend of mine with Glencar Manorhamilton connections told me that they played a Cavan development team under lights in Breffni last week. They are the new Leitrim senior champs. He was told that Cavan had 3 development teams !!!
Incidently my neighbours, Corlough, are officially opening their pitch on Sunday next, 25th, with a game between Crossmaglen and   Glencar Manorhamilton. Mick O'Dwyer will say a few words too.

Dougal

any word on the regional games?are they going to go ahead?
Fcuk you I won't do what ya tell me!!!