Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boojangles

Quote from: big balla on September 17, 2009, 09:11:00 PM
Quote from: anglocelt39 on September 17, 2009, 08:04:41 PM
Quote from: Drung on September 17, 2009, 06:49:29 PM
The county board were also planning to put back the final last eyar if Johnston had made the Int Rules squad, remember. He looked a certainty at one point.

Well that's sorted so. I see hurling is making a bit of an emergence in Cavan again, including at my long lost home club. So if at some stage one of the lads is afforded the honour of being selected to play against Scotland in the annual Shinty internationals we have a precedent for more postponements. What about the under 17 International Rules tours to Australia? we usually have a few lads involved

I have great admiration for Paul Brady, but it's all about precedent, we will end up playing finals on Christmas Eve if we're not careful.

County Waterford is an interesting example of how things can be done. A few years ago County football champions missed first Round of Munster club because competitions ran late. This year, hurling and football championship at all grades is totally up to date. The reason, new County Board Chairman who takes no shit and publishes a fixture list which is the bible.
the aussie rules is only a mongrel game that was invented as a money spinner, the handball Paul Brady will be playing is exactly the same as he plays here. you cant compare the two. fair enough it sets a prcedent, that any team with a  player captaining ireland at a world championship in a gaa sport should be allowed have a game postponed by one week.i doubt it will turn into an epidemic

Have to agree here,Cavan GAA should be delighted to have somebody of the calibre of Paul Brady representing them on the World stage.It may never happen again so I don't think precedent could really come into it. We don't tend to produce many World Champions in this county!!If they win on Saturday I say put the final back a week.
Would Killygarry or the Gaels really like to win a County Final against a team missing their best player??

anglocelt39

My Aussie Rules reference comes from  a point made that the County Final might have been put back last year if a Cavan Gaels player had been involved in the Irish Panel, but that didn't come to pass. It might be a "mongrel game" but it's sanctioned by the GAA and on that basis will give an out to somebody.

Delighted for Paul Brady, just be ready for the copy cat claims in due course
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

space rabbit

Quote from: anglocelt39 on September 17, 2009, 09:43:41 PM
My Aussie Rules reference comes from  a point made that the County Final might have been put back last year if a Cavan Gaels player had been involved in the Irish Panel, but that didn't come to pass. It might be a "mongrel game" but it's sanctioned by the GAA and on that basis will give an out to somebody.

Catch a grip of youself, what other copy cat claims could there be. 

Lawrence of Knockbride

Quote from: space rabbit on September 17, 2009, 10:27:27 PM

Absoloutely none. This is was the only possible case. ;)
Anyway, as most fancy the gaels in the second game what's the feeling about the first semi? I haven't seen Mullahoran but have seen Denn twice. Plenty of commitment but a lack of good players. Will it be enough? I doubt Colin McKiernan (?) will get the space he got against Castlerathan.

anglocelt39

So all our club delegates to the County board are purer than the driven snow and would never dare mention gunners (possibly) deserving case when looking for a postponement due to emigration/swine flu at Laragh National School/Oxegen/Electric Picnic/Scor/Compromise Rules/Hurling/Shinty/Camogie/Weddings/Funerals/Deportation Parties.

Good so, look forward to the contributions from the playing members in December about the drag in the fixture list and how our County Board couldn't organise a shag in a brothel

space rabbit

Quote from: anglocelt39 on September 17, 2009, 11:25:41 PM

So all our club delegates to the County board are purer than the driven snow and would never dare mention gunners (possibly) deserving case when looking for a postponement due to emigration/swine flu at Laragh National School/Oxegen/Electric Picnic/Scor/Compromise Rules/Hurling/Shinty/Camogie/Weddings/Funerals/Deportation Parties.

Good so, look forward to the contributions from the playing members in December about the drag in the fixture list and how our County Board couldn't organise a shag in a brothel

This isnt about someone missing any game its a county final. 

Yes games are cancelled because of Funerals, had u a problem with the Lavey Baileboro game being called off last weekend because a players mother passed away.  A game can be put off if a team requests a free weekend in the case of weddings but that is done at start of year or as early as possible.

You are a bitter man by the sounds off things.

boojangles

Quote from: space rabbit on September 18, 2009, 08:02:27 AM

This isnt about someone missing any game its a county final. 

Yes games are cancelled because of Funerals, had u a problem with the Lavey Baileboro game being called off last weekend because a players mother passed away.  A game can be put off if a team requests a free weekend in the case of weddings but that is done at start of year or as early as possible.

You are a bitter man by the sounds off things.

Now now down with that sort of thing.This is a discussion board for opinions.Just because somebodies opinion differs from your own doesnt mean they are bitter or the like. I don't agree with what he is saying either but Anglo Celt is one of the fairest and more informed posters on here.In time you may come to realise that.

anglocelt39

Space Rabbit, first of all welcome to the Board.

I've been following this board for a fair few years now, maybe you have been yourself. One of the most regular complaints from posters who are playing the game concerns the management of the fixture list. That is a fact.

Perhaps one way of dealing with that issue is by being very hard arsed in how the postponment of fixtures is administered. That is my opinion.

My own view is that the more "one off type" exceptions you grant the more you encourage others to try their luck in making their own cases. Again, that is my opinion.

So there you have it. Nothing more to say on the subject. Some people disagree with my view, a small number agree. You'll find as you settle into the board that just because a person doesn't agree with you doesn't make him, or you, bitter.

Drung

What message would is send out to young fellas who want to play other GAA sports? The message would be that football is king here, rules are rules and f**k anything else.
This narrow-mindedness and failure to see the big picture is typical of Cavan 'GAA' supporters.

anglocelt39

Quote from: Drung on September 18, 2009, 12:28:30 PM
What message would is send out to young fellas who want to play other GAA sports? The message would be that football is king here, rules are rules and f**k anything else.
This narrow-mindedness and failure to see the big picture is typical of Cavan 'GAA' supporters.

Think you forgot to insert the words "In my opinion" in the last sentence there mate

Drung

I think that would be superfluous, do you not? By it's nature, everything written on this board is opinion, mate.
In my opinion, of course.

PhilsJemmysField

Who will win round the weekend. Can a div 3 team make an intermediate final or will Lavey stand up to the plate ? How will MG Brady ref it will he blow the whistle at all or will he do an Ollie the Finn on it ? Will Mullahoran and Denn be a low scoring slog fest or could we see Denn come out all guns firing and make a real go of taking out one of the big guns. Will the Gaels learn from last weekend and not have half the town along the line and stop back healing 45's and blow Killygarry of the park. How will Killygarry win this one ? Or will we end up next week bitching about referee's

Drung

Still disgusted over last weekend, Drung made Cootehill look like Tyrone.
Colm Smith was very good though, worth a run with Cavan.
On this weekend's games, I'm tipping Shamrocks and Lavey to draw, Denn to win narrowly and Gaels to win by about 12 points.

What was that about back-heeling 45s?!

PhilsJemmysField

One of the Gael's lads back heeled a 45 to a comrade who promptly kicked it up in the air and the bridge cleared easily. Very funny to watch but made for very bad football

space rabbit

The main reason why games were postponed this year was because of the county team.  The league fixtures were run off pretty well until the Fermanagh game.  This year it has being up to the clubs involved to re-arrange a fixture within 4 or 5 days of the fixture.  If they couldnt agree the game had to go ahead on the date of the original fixture.