Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Denn Forever

Ronan Kiernan was good too.

Its a pity its a bit too late for him, 30/31 but then Dooger was 33/34.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Its amazing how football can give you sh*t eatin grin.

I'd a feeling but I thought they might do it for badness and it was against the neighbours
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Drung

QuoteOurselves,bucketloads of ability,but always seem to have one bad day in the championship from quarter final stage on,and we dont seem to be able to play badly and win.

Decent team, yes. 'Bucketloads' of ability? No.

Lavey, Knockbride and Drumgoon are both as good, or better, than Ballyhaise in terms of talent. Drumalee are too.
Ballyhaise are one of four or five good teams at Intermediate, but don't try to let on that Ballyahise are the most talented but keep slipping up - that is just not true.
Ballyhaise have been hanging around Intermediate for years and have only made one final. Drumalee have won it, Drumgoon have won it, Knockbride won it - all three have since come back down, but Ballyhaise have been there all that time without going up!
Ballyhaise are coming good at underage though and will make the breakthrough some of these years in my opinion.
I'm surprised by how well Drung are doing - long may it continue! I hope it rains for three months and then we have Watters fit for the semi ;D

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: Drung on August 31, 2009, 04:55:35 PM
QuoteOurselves,bucketloads of ability,but always seem to have one bad day in the championship from quarter final stage on,and we dont seem to be able to play badly and win.

Lavey, Knockbride and Drumgoon are both as good, or better, than Ballyhaise in terms of talent. Drumalee are too.
Ballyhaise are one of four or five good teams at Intermediate, but don't try to let on that Ballyahise are the most talented but keep slipping up - that is just not true.
Ballyhaise have been hanging around Intermediate for years and have only made one final. Drumalee have won it, Drumgoon have won it, Knockbride won it - all three have since come back down, but Ballyhaise have been there all that time without going up!
Ballyhaise are coming good at underage though and will make the breakthrough some of these years in my opinion.
I'm surprised by how well Drung are doing - long may it continue! I hope it rains for three months and then we have Watters fit for the semi ;D

Did i say Ballyhaise had more ability than Drumalee//Drumgoon/Knockbride and Lavey???
No i didnt so stop insinuating that i said such things Drung.
We have a good intermediate team,which has reached Quarter/Semi Finals and a Final in the last few years and I believe there is even more talent in this club than outsiders  know,its just a case of showing it.
as for the intermediate,Im going to Tip Cootehill,i was impressed with them last year and i think they may do it this year.

Celt_Man

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on August 31, 2009, 05:22:36 PM

Did i say Ballyhaise had more ability than Drumalee//Drumgoon/Knockbride and Lavey???
We have a good intermediate team,which has reached Quarter/Semi Finals and a Final in the last few years and I believe there is even more talent in this club than outsiders  know,its just a case of showing it.
as for the intermediate,Im going to Tip Cootehill,i was impressed with them last year and i think they may do it this year.

Not at all, sure Drung have 3 county men against only our one... And with the momentum they have from last year and their impressive wins this year, all we will be doing is hoping to give them a good game.
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

boojangles

Quote from: Celt_Man on August 31, 2009, 05:46:11 PM
Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on August 31, 2009, 05:22:36 PM

Not at all, sure Drung have 3 county men against only our one... And with the momentum they have from last year and their impressive wins this year, all we will be doing is hoping to give them a good game.

Look it theres no point in even showing up CeltMan.BH Man has put the hex on yas now.You's are done for!!
A Final place is there for ya.I have seen Drung a few times now and while their attitude and work-rate is excellent I feel they are lacking in key areas.But they are very hard to play against,a bit like Denn at senior level and will fight tooth and nail for everything.Some of them have played in a final before so they know how to win a Semi but if I had to pick I think you's will do it. Somebody made the comment earlier that McKenna cleaned Galligan on Friday,I couldn't agree there.In the Aerial battle McKenna was on top but in open play I felt Galligan had the better.It was the 4th time I had seen Drung this year and I felt it was the best game Iv seen Ciaran have.There may be more to come from him.

Lawrence of Knockbride

Some very odd comments in response to my post regarding Cahill mouthing. "No harm in pulling jersesys". Should we be bringing this into our training at underage? "A few raps of the ball". And don't forget that if you're caught doing it to appeal to through every loophole we can find.
Dear oh dear.  :'(

boojangles

Quote from: Lawrence of Knockbride on August 31, 2009, 10:03:42 PM
Some very odd comments in response to my post regarding Cahill mouthing. "No harm in pulling jersesys". Should we be bringing this into our training at underage? "A few raps of the ball". And don't forget that if you're caught doing it to appeal to through every loophole we can find.

Dear Oh Dear nothin,You have your head in the clouds Lawrence if you think any successful team gets away without using these tactics.Look at Kerry,Armagh,Tyrone etc. Probably the most cynical teams we have seen this decade but they all have All-Irelands to their name.Thats ALL that matters.We are too naive and too nice in Cavan. I play Gaelic Football to win,I don't play it to be a good sportsman. And if I am being truthful it is no harm in teaching U-16s and upwards a few tricks.they are going to need it at Senior level so the sooner they learn the better. As regards appeals I dunno who brought that up but your straying off the point.

put-it-up

Quote from: Lawrence of Knockbride on August 31, 2009, 10:03:42 PM

Ah now Lawrence come down from your morale high-ground will you.  I don't want our 12 year olds been thought this stuff, of course not, but when we get to 18 or so it becomes a man's game.

You do what you gotta do to win - except for physically taking someone out of the game. That I completely disagree with but if you can't take been ruffled up, you need to get stronger mentally.
Well I know that is how i feel anyway. Again I ask, mean and win or nice and lose?

Or or two mean Cavan defenders thats strengths are actually defending would be great for Cavan team. You just need them in the panel as options.

If you wanna be nice and polite take up dancing or swimming or something.

I see no-one has mentioned Bailieborough for the Intermediate. In a weird way, I am glad we got Lavey.

Lawrence of Knockbride

Boojangles & Put-It-Up, I agree that Cavan need to get meaner, tougher or whatever you want to call it. They need to be physically stronger and more determined. But what you're doing is calling how the game is played currently by the better teams and saying that it's right because they're successful. So if a team wins through fair means that make the hitting and dragging wrong?
Tougher mentally means focusing on the game in my book and being able to block out some p***k in your face for an hour. And I don't think I'm straying off the point by bringing in appeals-win at all costs was mentioned.
I could add some of the stuff that often sickens us gaels when watching soccer. Diving, the fake blood sub in rugby and so on.
My point is that just because it works doesn't make it right.
If referees, linesmen and umpires did their jobs better and lads were being punished consistently then I think the view would be that it wasn't worth the risk. Then what these great teams do?

Anyway, on a more pressing not why have I been relegated to a newbie all of a sudden?

put-it-up

Look Lawrence, in an ideal world all footballers would be gentleman, everyone would play hard and fair, I would have a bit more money than I do right now and the standard of Cavan women would improve. But reality check ;D

It goes on and it happens, so do Cavan people want to keep playing nice attractive football (it could be argued we even do that!) and win sweet f**k all but know that they took  the high-road or do they want to roll up their sleeves and be wiling to do a bit of the dirty work. We dont need to be filthy but we need a few spoilers.
THe current team we have lot of nice footballers, but there is no real bite. No one to ggive the other team something to worry about defensively.

boojangles

Quote from: Lawrence of Knockbride on September 01, 2009, 08:37:45 AM
Boojangles & Put-It-Up, I agree that Cavan need to get meaner, tougher or whatever you want to call it. They need to be physically stronger and more determined. But what you're doing is calling how the game is played currently by the better teams and saying that it's right because they're successful. So if a team wins through fair means that make the hitting and dragging wrong?
Tougher mentally means focusing on the game in my book and being able to block out some p***k in your face for an hour. And I don't think I'm straying off the point by bringing in appeals-win at all costs was mentioned.
I could add some of the stuff that often sickens us gaels when watching soccer. Diving, the fake blood sub in rugby and so on.
If referees, linesmen and umpires did their jobs better and lads were being punished consistently then I think the view would be that it wasn't worth the risk. Then what these great teams do?

Anyway, on a more pressing not why have I been relegated to a newbie all of a sudden?

I never said that such tactics are right,all I said is that they are successful. We would b a long time waiting for referees to properly stamp out all negative play so its either join in or be left behind.

put-it-up

Boo J, just remembered that thing you posted about the form the CB sent out.

Jesus I could talk for hours on that!!!!!

One thing I am not too impressed with is the fact that Drung have been beaten twice this year and yet could still make a final. . . Nothing personal against them but it's Not really championship football is it.

One second-chance ok, fair enough - but a third one....

Maybe we should go back to the back-door system. I dunno really but would be very open to suggestions on this.

Lawrence of Knockbride

Quote from: boojangles on September 01, 2009, 10:41:55 AM
Quote from: Lawrence of Knockbride on September 01, 2009, 08:37:45 AM

I never said that such tactics are right,all I said is that they are successful. We would b a long time waiting for referees to properly stamp out all negative play so its either join in or be left behind.

Quote from: put-it-up on September 01, 2009, 09:40:23 AM

Look Lawrence, in an ideal world all footballers would be gentleman, everyone would play hard and fair, I would have a bit more money than I do right now and the standard of Cavan women would improve. But reality check ;D

It goes on and it happens, so do Cavan people want to keep playing nice attractive football (it could be argued we even do that!) and win sweet f**k all but know that they took  the high-road or do they want to roll up their sleeves and be wiling to do a bit of the dirty work. We dont need to be filthy but we need a few spoilers.
THe current team we have lot of nice footballers, but there is no real bite. No one to ggive the other team something to worry about defensively.
Chaps I believe we're in agreement. I think you may just have pushed your pont a little too aggressively.

put-it-up

Perhaps I was a little to aggresive but the point had to be made.

I was alittle bit worried about you Lawrence, I thought you were wearing a dress when you posted that message saying 'Dear oh Dear'.

I thought your next post was going to contain 'oops a daisy'

Only messing with you boss ;)

Now you are on our side of the argument, do you know any tough defenders. Maybe they wont be pleasing on the eye or fantastic on the ball, but like who tackle aggresively and will do anything to stop their man getting the ball?

Jaysus I would say they are about as hard to find as a good midfielder!

Lawrence of Knockbride

Quote from: put-it-up on September 01, 2009, 11:18:57 AM
Perhaps I was a little to aggresive but the point had to be made.

I was alittle bit worried about you Lawrence, I thought you were wearing a dress when you posted that message saying 'Dear oh Dear'.

I thought your next post was going to contain 'oops a daisy'

Only messing with you boss ;)

Now you are on our side of the argument, do you know any tough defenders. Maybe they wont be pleasing on the eye or fantastic on the ball, but like who tackle aggresively and will do anything to stop their man getting the ball?

Jaysus I would say they are about as hard to find as a good midfielder!
Oh I do despair :D
Corner-backs..........I always liked the look of Kilian Reilly for Killeshandra. Not overly aggressive but lightning fast. Also that McPhilips boy for Denn had a good game the other evening. We need a couple badly to put the pressure on Hannon to get him back to his best.
Anyway, back to the closet............I mean work.