Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drung

I'd rather have Wicklow than Down and Longford already beat us this year and are coming off a good win in Leitrim.
If I had been offered Wicklow, even away, before the draw I'd have taken it but it's not easy by any means and I would imagine they will be favourites.
Tough, but not impossible. On the Antrim performance, we'll lose by ten points. On the Fermanagh one, it will be very tight but we'll probably lose.

mylestheslasher

Wicklow have two big men in the middle that are not bad but apart from that they are very average. However, they will be well set up, fit, strong and athletic. They don't have much football about them but then that is the type of team we always seem to struggle against. Add to the fact that we have to play them in their own patch makes this a tough tricky encounter. To be fair if we have any business being around the championship after towards the end of July we need to be beating teams like Wicklow. Again it is critical that we are up for the game as Micko does not send teams into championship action in any other frame of mind.

boojangles

Just back from Redhills V Ballinagh in Redhills. Ballinagh up by 6 with 10 mins to go and cruising.Took the foot of the gas and let Redhills back into it.Redhills scrambled a ball across the line with the last kick of the game.Draw. Ballinagh must be kicking themselves. Cant say too many players stood out,Allen Durkin at midfield dominated on his cousin Brendan Leddy.Podge played in patches.Rory Dunne very poor. Gaynor started full-forward but was moved into the corner.Looks a long way off the pace,his handling especially letting him down.Surely he would be more effective and comfortable in the backs to try and let him find his feet after being out for so long. Redhills were supposedly outstanding against the Gaels during the week,didnt look anything near it tonight but fair play to them for sticking at it and getting a point.
Wicklow away- I suppose theres alot worse teams we could have got.Bar the home draw or Longford at home,I cant think of a better draw.In saying that it will obviously be tough,Aughrim is a hard place to go to,but it will be a good marker to see where we are at, at the moment. No disrespect to Wicklow but a loss wouldnt leave much hope for the future.We couldnt have drawn Clare as they were provincial losers like ourselves. Have a wedding next Saturday so thats One less that will make the trip.Cant see too many fans travelling down there TBH.

anglocelt39

Wicklow, I suppose they have seen off Fermanagh which is as much as we have done. I think we played them in Aughrim a few years ago during McIlkennon's spell in charge, possibly the year we lost to Waterford on the last day. On that day they struck me as a big crowd of mullockers with not a huge amount of skill, We ran them off the park, let them back into it as per usual and ended up lucky enough to get away with a win. Seem to remember Eugene Kiernan of Ballymachugh coming on as a sub that day, fumbling one or two balls and being replaced himself ten minutes after coming on by Larry Reilly, I joke you not. Eugene has not been back near the panel since, can't blame him really.

this is a bit test of Carrs year as far as I'm concerned, if players roll the sleeves up and put in a solid performance I think we can take some heart over the year as a whole.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

boojangles

Quote from: anglocelt39 on July 05, 2009, 08:56:17 PM
Wicklow, I suppose they have seen off Fermanagh which is as much as we have done. I think we played them in Aughrim a few years ago during McIlkennon's spell in charge, possibly the year we lost to Waterford on the last day. On that day they struck me as a big crowd of mullockers with not a huge amount of skill, We ran them off the park, let them back into it as per usual and ended up lucky enough to get away with a win. Seem to remember Eugene Kiernan of Ballymachugh coming on as a sub that day, fumbling one or two balls and being replaced himself ten minutes after coming on by Larry Reilly, I joke you not. Eugene has not been back near the panel since, can't blame him really.

this is a bit test of Carrs year as far as I'm concerned, if players roll the sleeves up and put in a solid performance I think we can take some heart over the year as a whole.

James Kiernan-thats right,was an awful thing to do to a young lad who was only in on the panel. Like a lot of good footballers who got one or 2 chances to prove himself and wasnt perservered with.While others find it harder to make their way OFF the County set-up.

Denn Forever

Great draw but its a pity its not at home.

Actually, thinking about it, It is better.  No pressure on the lads and Wicklow under Micko play football.  It will be an ideal test of how the players react.  And TC will relish the battle.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Homer

FYI venue is not Aughrim yet, there's a coin toss later today to decide home advantage.

Shocking collapse by Ballinagh yesterday, actually led by 7 points at one stage. Would agree with Boojangles other comments.

cavan4ever

Quote from: Homer on July 06, 2009, 10:22:56 AM
FYI venue is not Aughrim yet, there's a coin toss later today to decide home advantage.

Shocking collapse by Ballinagh yesterday, actually led by 7 points at one stage. Would agree with Boojangles other comments.

Thats what it said in yesterdays sunday world but all other reports would say otherwise.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Homer on July 06, 2009, 10:22:56 AM

I doubt that is correct. Sure they went to all the bother of saying 1st out of the pot gets home advantage and to try and make sure this was done fairly they drew the two teams out, put them in a 3rd bowl and took out the 1st team from there. It has to be in Wicklow, unless of course they are expecting 10k to travel from Cavan!

Hollow Man

I'm surprised at you Homer, you are usually not a complete halfwit.
Cavan "I hate Ciaran Galligan/Cavan are useless" 4ever usually is so I disregard what he says.

From RTE.ie:

The draw for the second round of the All-Ireland SFC qualifiers has pitted Ulster rivals Monaghan and Derry against each other.

The two sides have already clashed in the Ulster Championship in a game that received much bad press for what was perceived as violent play.

Derry were subsequently dumped out of the province by Tyrone at the semi-final stage, while Monaghan got through the first round of the qualifiers by overcoming Armagh after extra-time at Clones last night.

The other big tie of the round sees Leinster neighbours Meath and Westmeath drawn together, with the latter having home advantage.

Both sides were put out of Leinster by Dublin, with the Lakesmen on the end of a 27-point annihilation.

Longford will host Kerry, with the Midlanders looking for revenge for the qualifier defeat they suffered at the hands of the Kingdom in Killarney in 2006.

Wicklow have been rewarded for their win over Fermanagh in Aughrim with a home tie against Tommy Carr's Cavan, while Donegal continue their rehabilitation with a home game against Clare.

The other games will see Down host Laois, Wexford entertain Roscommon and Sligo travel to Tipperary.

All-Ireland SFC Qualifiers Round Two

Down v Laois

Monaghan v Derry

Longford v Kerry

Wexford v Roscommon

Tipperary v Sligo

Donegal v Clare

Westmeath v Meath

Wicklow v Cavan

(Games to be played on Saturday, 11 July)

cavan4ever

Good morning Hollow Man  :-*

For the record i dont hate Ciarain Galligan,  i just dont rate him. 

Should i pretend that Cavan are magic ?

Homer

Quote from: Hollow Man on July 06, 2009, 10:47:32 AM
I'm surprised at you Homer, you are usually not a complete halfwit.

Wouldn't have expected anything less from you HollowMan.

It looks like my information is probably wrong, but I'm just telling you what one of the players told me yesterday.

cavanmaniac

Wicklow will be delighted to have drawn us based on our efforts against Antrim. There's very little between the sides but as the poster above says, if we have any designs on building something decent, we simply have to win this match.

If we're sufficiently stung by the criticism after the Antrim debacle and go out like men possessed like we should, then I think we can win it but if we go out half cocked, a very plucky, well organised and fit Wicklow playing at home will do us by a few points for sure. They look a fairly limited side and again you would think we have the better class of players in this particular match up, but after Antrim, we have no reasons to be certain of winning.

put-it-up

also heard Killygarry won the u14 All-Ireland Feile...Good to see a club doing something right at underage level. Red n Black, would be interested to know what exactly the club is putting in their water? ;D Only joking, the coaches must be doing something right up there.

Congratulations lads

North Longford

Was speaking to a fella today who has a bit of insider knowledge on the squad and he was told it has gone a bit down hill since the Antrim game. Fellas not turning up for training etc etc.......