Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boojangles

Quote from: sams the aim on April 29, 2009, 10:30:59 PM
well it appears big dermo is gone.good bye and thanks for all d good times.always felt he cud and shud have made more of the talent he had but appeard a bit to lazy to work on his game outside of trainings and matches. But what a talent he was.yea think cavan playing antrim in lacken is it a sat or a sunday lads. rumour has it Johnston a big doubt for first round wa kept in hospital for 3 days and nights after league game.supposedly serious enough and out for a few months now.Loss would be just ridiculous and does not bear talking about really. it was in the independant the other day. any view on league games this weekend?whos playing who
After what league game? If its the Louth one,then thats bollix.He definitely wasnt kept in hospital for 3 days.As far as I know he had a slight problem but it shouldnt rule him out for too long.

It does look to be the last we will see of Big Dermot in the Royal Blue. The man has given us some of our best days and we will all fondly remember the contribution he has made to the Cavan cause since 1994.He may have been a bully to team mates at times and wanted to take every free but thats because he had such supreme confidence in himself and didnt think anybody could do it better. I will never forget the U-21s beating Meath after a replay in 1996 in Hyde Park against 6 lads who went on to win an All-Ireland Senior medals that year.
Who can forget his display in the Ulster Final in 1997 after Stephen King had to go off and being so proud when he was the only Cavan man I ever seen receiving an AllStar. His Man of the Match dispaly against the Aussies in Croke park at Full-Forward. His cameo appearance against Down at Full-Forward in 2004 was nothing short of inspiring and made Breifne Park rock like I have never seen. Cormac McAnallen RIP rated him as one the toughest opponents he ever came up against,for that alone he should be proud.
He carried our hopes for many a year and although he had his faults,we all have him to thank for being at the epicentre of all of Cavan Footballs good days in the last 15 years.
Thank you Dermot

mylestheslasher

I would not be so gloomy about our prospects this year. I expect Fermanagh to beat Down in the preliminary round - Enniskillen is a very hard place to get a win, especially against a dogged hard working team like Fermanagh. If that happens we would then have Fermanagh in Breffni. Now even in hard times I'd give us a fighting chance of turning over Fermanagh. They will probably be favorites but still we'd have a chance.
If we made it through we'd have a semi most likely against Donegal. Now Donegal are a better team than Cavan, no doubt but they are unpredictable and mentally weak. Things don't seem to be going well for them. They'd be big favorites but we could give them a game - maybe a win would be too much but there is always hope!

put-it-up

Apparently lads, Johnston has done something to damage his kidney. A suspected rupture or something like that. Is a doubt for the championship but  i think he will play regardless

mylestheslasher

Quote from: RednBlack on April 30, 2009, 09:29:18 PM
Poor Seanie will be fine. Its just ribs and I reckon its from all the shouting!! Heard from a few players it was like a breath of fresh air in Galway last weekend with Dermo not around and Seanie out. Lads felt a freedom not experienced in a while. Dermot did give Cavan many great years of football and fair play to him. Time now for the younger brigade to step up to the plate and become the new McCabes and Kings etc. May not happen over night but a fresher panel with lads feeling they can rightfully earn a place and not just keeping an older lads jersey warm is a good thing IMO.

Thats what I was thinking but I didn't write it cos I didn't want to push Sams the Aim over the edge :D

Lawrence of Knockbride

Quote from: mylestheslasher on April 30, 2009, 09:40:40 PM
Quote from: RednBlack on April 30, 2009, 09:29:18 PM
Poor Seanie will be fine. Its just ribs and I reckon its from all the shouting!! Heard from a few players it was like a breath of fresh air in Galway last weekend with Dermo not around and Seanie out. Lads felt a freedom not experienced in a while. Dermot did give Cavan many great years of football and fair play to him. Time now for the younger brigade to step up to the plate and become the new McCabes and Kings etc. May not happen over night but a fresher panel with lads feeling they can rightfully earn a place and not just keeping an older lads jersey warm is a good thing IMO.

Thats what I was thinking but I didn't write it cos I didn't want to push Sams the Aim over the edge :D
Ah c'mon lads. At least wait til you hear the full story in Hello. ;D

sams the aim

supposedly is his kidney and is out for up to six weeks.in club game it happened.any one any ideas on club games this weekend.any more word on mc cabe?

Lawrence of Knockbride

Here you go Sam-I can call you Sam can't I? ;)

Friday, 01st May 2009 @ 7.30pm
Imperial Bar A.C.F.L. Division 1
Castlerahan v Cavan Gaels
Referee: Gerry Sheridan
Killygarry v Ramor Utd
Referee: Martin Brady - Lacken

Friday, 01st May 2009 @ 7.30pm
John Brady Insurances Ltd A.C.F.L. Division 3
Butlersbridge v Ballymachugh
Referee: John Smith
Cornafean v Kildallon
Referee: Ollie Donohoe

Friday, 01st May 2009 @ 8pm
Cavan Waste Disposal Ltd A.C.F.L. Division 4 Round 5
Mullahoran v Knockbride
Referee: John Pat Martin

Saturday, 02nd May 2009 @ 3pm
Laragh Utd v Mountnugent
Referee: Jim Hyland

Sunday, 03rd May 2009 @ 2pm
Imperial Bar A.C.F.L. Division 1
Mullahoran v Lacken
Referee: Jim Hyland
Denn v Gowna
Referee: Thomas Doonan

Killygarry v Arva
Referee: Kieran McCarville

Cavan Waste Disposal Ltd A.C.F.L. Division 4 Round 5
Ballinagh v Maghera (Match in Maghera)
Referee: James Clarke
Drumlane v Kingscourt
Referee: Jim Giblin
Cuchulainns v Belturbet
Referee: Tony McDonald
Drumalee v Castlerahan
Referee: John Cassidy
Denn v Gowna (Game at 3.30pm)
Referee: Thomas Doonan

A.C.F.L. Division 5 Round 5
Templeport v Ballyhaise
Referee: Brian Seagrave
Lacken v Drumgoon (Game at 5pm)
Referee: Margaret Farrelly
Redhills v Ramor Utd
Referee: Peter Fahy
Kildallon v Cootehill
Referee: John Emmo
Bailieboro v Laragh Utd
Referee: Ronan Bannon

Philip Miney Meats Ltd A.C.F.L. Division 6 Round 5
Shannon Gaels v Corlough
Referee: Stephen McKiernan
Kill v Crosserlough
Referee: Ollie Henry
Cornafean v Killygarry (Game at 5pm)
Referee: Chris McCaffrey
Drung v Arva (Game at 5pm)
Referee: Eugene Tormey
Mountnugent v Mullahoran (Game at 5pm)
Referee: TP Gray
Swanlinbar v Butlersbridge
Referee: Liam Kelly
Munterconnacht v Ballymachugh
Referee: Harry Conaty

mylestheslasher

Quote from: RednBlack on May 01, 2009, 09:35:30 AM
Has anyone heard the story about Tesco in Antrim making the Under 12 GAA team remove their jerseys when bag packing because certain customers complained that they were offensive. In a time of Swine Flu, recession, growing unemployment it appears that a small minority still have the intelligence of our politicians. Certainly would colour my opinion of a chain like Tesco if they allow policy changes happen based on bigotry. Sad day

Have a look at the following threads, its being discussed at length on the board. I for one won't be giving tesco any business because of it and I'd ask everyone else to do the same...

http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=12123.180

http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=12135.15

and

http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=12130.0

anglocelt39

would be interested to get the Tesco official line on this, if it ever comes to that. Funny enough if some young lads were doing a bag pack in my local store wearing Rangers or Linfieild tops I wouldn't be so petty as to complain, I'd just pack my own bags and give one of them a cuff on the ear on the blind side, only because in an unreconstructed bigot mind
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

Lawrence of Knockbride

Quote from: RednBlack on May 01, 2009, 09:17:47 AM
With Cavan playing Antrim in Lacken on their "new" pitch this weekend and a lot of games down for tonight I would be interested to see how many actually go ahead on the "old" pitches. Ours is in a terrible state and not fit for play. Pitch inspection this morning to see if it goes ahead.

Had an incident last weekend where CCC sent out a ref to inspect it before Div 6 game with Mountnugent, claimed it was playable when it was dangerous. In fairness our Chairman stood strong and pulled the plug and informed the CCC of his decision. Mountnugent traveled as noone in CCC contacted them and when they saw the pitch they also agreed it was way too dangerous for players to play.

However the CCC still go ahead and give Mountnugent the points even though both teams want to play the game and Killygarry agree to forfeit home advantage. Is this really sending the message that they are concerned for player welfare. Have since learned that the same pitch inspector "went" to Stradone a couple of weeks ago about two hours before a game and delcared the game on only for the referee to turn up and say it was in no fit state to be played on. Noone from either club was present for this "inspector" when he arrived or if he arrived!!!

Surely an officer of the club should be with the inspectors when they are on club grounds, even if just to be sure these guys do turn up.

Heard about that RNB. I also heard that your club wasn't made known of the fact until the tables were printed showing ye having lost one game more than you thought.
In fairness to Tesco I'd like to hear the full story (I've read some of it but haven't clicked on those links). I read that quite a few customers complained and so they had to take their customers' views into consideration. Not condoning or condemning anything yet-just would like to know the whole story. I do my shopping in Dunnes anyway-the difference is they're Irish ;D
Talking of games being called off I know that the Knockbride v Killeshandra game scheduled for this day week is off due to the county team bonding or the like. I'd have thought that if that reason is genuine that  a few more will follow. It makes no sense as everything is as it was in January when the fixtures were being made. It's type of shite that means that amateur players can't plan any kind of personal life around football.

whats my name

was talking to a lad on the county panel and seemingly the only thing tommy carr knew of mc cabe packing it in was from the papers. carr tried to get in contact with him several times with no responce.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: RednBlack on May 02, 2009, 12:37:44 PM
The real story is that Dermot sent a text to Peter Reilly last Sunday telling him that rather than travel to Headford and play Galway he was actually in Croke Park at the finals. Management had enough of it and told him go.

Sounds like he was looking for an out. Surely he would know that what he was doing would meet with only one result? Its a shame that he ended his long career like that.

anglocelt39

Thanks for the report RednBlack, hopefully heavy training has something to do with it.

Some of the posts I've been reading about Sean Johnston have got me thinking. Myles was going on a few weeks ago about Carr needing to sort him out, I reckoned at the time dropping him would be a bridge too far, with so much other stuff on the panel needing sorting out. However, the more I think about it if he continues to carry on like a prima donna whatever bit he brings to the team is nearly cancelled out by the negative impact he's having on team morale, other players etc.

So just Say Sean decides he has to go off and "find himself" again this summer, be it Chicago or Sydney, will the world stop turning on it's axis? No, In fact here is what a forward line might look like based on (reported) form, together with somebody to provide cover in each position:

Half Forward line:

Eddie Reilly (Sean Brady as cover): Might be a bit limited in certain regards but will give his all and will, hopefully, help out with some of the dirty stuff out around the middle where we may need help;

Cullivan (Lyng as cover): Again will give some help out around the middle'

Mackey (Keating): On form,

Pierson (Larry): Needs to start producing soon but we know what he can do;

Jason (Givney): On form at moment, can win the ball, can still hopefully sneak the all elusive goal and a bit of the old dog for the hard road now that Dermot, Forde are gone;

Martin Reilly (I give up now): On form, puts it in and might be one to benefit most from Seanies absence. From reading the posts on here it seems that our superstar seems to resere particular abuse for this lad. Remids me a bit of Dermots attitude to Pierce McKenna a few years ago. What is it, does he see a long term threat or is it a case of the shits because Martin played in a Sigerson final this year.

Look, hopefully Seanie cops on a lot because he would be a huge addition to our team. The forward line I've suggested above won't have Tyrone or Armagh quaking in their boots, but all I want at this stage is to see 15 lads who give 100% for the team and for each other. One of our newer posters reckons it "doesn't bear thinking about" if Seanie ain't fit for the championship-easy on the hyperbole now.

anglocelt39

From the Celt, bit of an improvement on some of the dross they have printed in the past

Useful run-out for new-look Cavan
by Paul Fitzpatrick
Comments (0) |  Print |  Email

Cavan midfielder Nicholas Walsh claims possession as Ray Cullivan tussles with Galway's Joe Bergin and Declan Meehan.

The concession of two first half goals put paid to Cavan's chances of beating Galway in this well-contested challenge match in rainy Headford last Sunday afternoon, but manager Tom Carr will have been reasonably pleased by his side's performance.

What will the Cavan boss have learned? The need for a freetaker is one; the necessity of varying the kick-outs another. On the plus side, Martin Reilly – in and out of the team during the league – looks a cert to be handed a starting jersey in the championship on the form he showed here last Sunday while Cian Mackey continues to show glimpses of staggering potential and will be a huge asset on the dry sod of summer if and when he regains full fitness.

Mackey it was who opened Cavan's account in the tenth minute, taking a short free from Gerald Pearson – who started very well but faded out of the game and was replaced at half-time – and curling in a sweet point with the outside of the boot.

That score, coming after a string of three wides, made it 0-2 to 0-1 after Galway raced into a lead through a Nicky Joyce brace, the first from a free.

Niall Coleman made it 0-3 to 0-1 with a free after the promising David Givney, who showed his undoubted talent over the 70 minutes but was frustratingly caught in possession on a couple of occasions, was blown for overcarrying.

Sean Brady set up the marauding John McCutcheon for a neat point from the wing in the 17th minute, but this was cancelled out by an Alan Burke score at the other end seconds later.

The first goal arrived on the 20 minute mark. Brilliant fielding by Joe Bergin at midfield launched a Galway attack which finished with Joyce burying the ball past James Reilly.

Although wearing number nine, Gareth Bradshaw – surely the tallest player on the field – lined out in the full-forward line where he had an engaging battle with robust newcomer Eoin Smith. The Killygarry man, one of the most consistent full-backs on the club scene, held his end up reasonably well however against a very awkward player.

Meanwhile at the other end of the field Jason O'Reilly, who has been in red-hot form for Belturbet in recent weeks, was proving that there's life in the old dog yet with a hardworking display. A super pass from Mackey, who carried the ball very well against the wind in the first half, found Jason in space and he swung over a sweet point to bring Cavan back to within a goal.

Good work by Mackey and Givney set up the lively Martin Reilly, who created space and fired over a nice point to make it 1-4 to 0-5 and a beautifully-weighted Givney pass to Reilly a minute later resulted in another identical point as Cavan began to seize control.

In true challenge match fashion, however, Galway struck back instantly, this time with another goal. Bradshaw received a pass, held off two defenders and fired a rocket in off the underside of the crossbar to make it 2-4 to 0-6 with four minutes left in the half.

Back came Cavan, who had struck six wides to this point. A brilliant cross-field pass from Sean Brady found Jason O'Reilly, who fired over his second point under pressure, but the hosts responded with two quick points from Bergin, who was impressive at midfield where Cavan – not helped by the tactic of sending kick-outs straight down the middle - struggled at times. A Joyce free left it 2-6 to 0-7 at the break.

Joyce started the second half with another score, holding off Padraig O'Reilly to curl in a neat effort. Despite the worsening conditions, Cavan continued to create - and, it must be said, squander - chances.

A well-struck 45 from Martin Reilly made it 2-7 to 0-8 and two minutes later the same player drove over a huge point from distance after a pass from sub Tomas Reilly.

Jason O'Reilly showed great strength to hold off a challenge and tap over his third point as Cavan began to motor, moving well but kicking three successive wides.

Spectacular fielding from Nicholas Walsh set up Mackey for a super point in the 20th minute to bring Cavan within two, and sub Ronan Flanagan cut the gap further from the next attack.

Sean Armstrong, who was well-marshalled by centre-back Eugene Keating, tapped over a free to put two between the sides again and added another from play shortly afterwards to make it 2-9 to 0-12.

Galway, having ridden out Cavan's storm, began to pour forward at this stage but the visitors' defence, where McCutcheon and Padraig O'Reilly worked hard, held out well.

A Martin Reilly free from the ground lifted the siege momentarily but Galway finished the stronger with two late points, the final one a sublime free from the wing by Armstrong.

So, a worthwhile trip west for Cavan, despite the result. The failure to score a goal again is a worry but if Cavan had taken half of the chances they created (they hit the upright three times and hit a dozen wides) they would have spoiled the party and taken the win. Still, in the week that Dermot McCabe - for reasons yet to beome clear - parted company with the panel, this was a decent antidote, with the majority of the players in good shape and showing decent form with the big test seven weeks away.

Small things, then, but cause for hope all the same.

GALWAY: Paul Doherty, Kieran Fitzgerald, David Finnegan, Damien Burke, Declan Meehan, David Reilly, Alan Burke (0-1), Gareth Bradshaw (1-0), Joe Bergin, Niall Coleman (0-1), Fiachra Breathnach, Gary O'Donnell, Matthew Clancy, Sean Armstong (0-3, 2f), Nicky Joyce (1-4, 1f)

SUB: Mark Lydon (0-1)

CAVAN: James Reilly, Keith Fannin, Michael Hannon, Eoin Smith, John McCutcheon (0-1), Eugene Keating, Padraig O'Reilly, David Givney, Nicholas Walsh, Sean Brady, Ray Cullivan, Cian Mackey (0-2), Martin Reilly (0-5, 1f, 1 45), Jason O'Reilly (0-3), Ger Pearson

SUBS: Tomas Reilly, Ronan Flanagan (0-1), Gearoid McKiernan, Fintan Reilly

put-it-up

So we lost to Antrim...just wonderful!

What 15 Cavan players lost to the might of the Saffrons?