Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallyhaiseMan

Will always remember McCabe for almost single handidly beating Down on his own in 2001,
His point from the sideline was one of the best scores ive seen. He lorded midfield that day.
That was his best performance in a Cavan shirt in my opinion.

Again in 2005 when his 2 goal barrage beat Down in  a replay in Breffini.

He had a few years 2002-2004 when he was crippled with injuries and wasnt fit to train and looked like he was just about finished

Over the last 2/3 years he regained some of his best form for club and county.

I dont think it would be a stretch to say he was our most talented player over the last 20 years.
Hed have got on any team in Ireland at his best.

mylestheslasher

From reading that statement from Carr it looks like Dermot did a couple of no shows and so Carr said that is it. Have to say, for all Dermots flaws, I don't remember anyone ever questioning his commitment to training or to the team. I find it strange that he would be a no show like that. I honestly thought there was a place for Dermot at FF on this Cavan team. So that could be the end for one of our best players of the modern era. I'd like to say thank you to Dermot, hes played for Cavan since he was 19 and he'd be 33 now by my reckoning. Thats a fair auld stint by any stretch of the imagination. The only breaks he took were for injuries and I'm suer he had plenty of chances to head to the states etc and leave the county to fend for  themselves.  For me, that intercepted handpass in the Ulster Final in 97 where he took 2 steps with the ball and belted it over from miles out, was the most memorable score. The day he came on against Down at FF on one leg and proceeded to wreck havoc was another. Hes had many a fine day and even when the legs started to go he still seldom but in a bad performance. Time now for the new lads and the lads getting into their mid 20's to take a step up and start to lead by example.

Homer

I don't know the reasons why McCabe has opted out but regardless of that I would like to recognise his years of service to Cavan.

The u21 run of 1996, winning Ulster in 1997, Cavan's second all-star, the international rules performances, those gigantic sideline pints, the obliteration of Down....

Some great memories and a huge part in landing some much-awaited silverware. IMO Cavan's greatest player of the last couple of decades.

big balla

your all talking like he's dead, he could be back before a ball is kicked in the championship

Lawrence of Knockbride

Quote from: big balla on April 28, 2009, 06:08:01 PM
your all talking like he's dead, he could be back before a ball is kicked in the championship
Got in just ahead of me Big Balla. He's certainly been a great player but for the time being I'd like to hear why he didn't show up for what seems to be the second time this year after sitting out the first 2 or 3 games. A bit of respect for ones fellow players doesn't take a huge effort.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: big balla on April 28, 2009, 06:08:01 PM

He could but it is highly unlikely when the manager says that he won't be involved any more this season. I expect Dermot knew that if he didn't turn up to games that is what would happen.

anglocelt39

RTE radio had it this morning that Dermot had retired. It's a sad way to finish. I would agree with most of what has been said about the lad-could drive you mad, may well have been a disruptive influence by times but huge talent and absolutely rode with injuries over the years. When you see the shower of pussies from Chelsea and Barcelona rolling around on their overpaid arses tonight it would be churlish not to say thanks to the man for the effort put in over the years. One of my memories of him was the Ulster final that got away in 2001 against Tyrone, not so much his performance as the amount of attention Tyrone devoted to curb his effectiveness, as only they can.

Don't think he fully reached is potential because of all the injuries, being one reason anway, look back at games in 96, 97 when he was moving freely kicking points for fun and think of what might have been.

While I'm at it, about time to also make a vote of thanks to Anthony Forde, again a man who always gave 100% and never struck me as one who messed around to excess. Always thought he had it in him to be a supremely talented half forward and I think he did his bit for the team by being converted into a defender to plug gaps that were there at the time, it may not have come naturally at first but certainly made a fair fist of it over the years.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

the salmon of knowledge

Quote from: Lawrence of Knockbride on April 24, 2009, 08:39:26 AM
Quote from: the salmon of knowledge on April 23, 2009, 07:30:16 PM
i like the look of that team i must say, i will head to see the game i reckon, FF line has alot of strenght but i am not too sure about the service they will get, which will have to be pretty dead on. its a line out which will rely heavily on mackey i feel, but i think for cavan to do well in the summer, cian will have to be top of his game anyway. mackey against limerick, gunner against offaly and givney against down were the 3 best league preformances this year for me. gunner the pick of them.
ted should be well able to play CB no point making excuses for him before he puts on a jersey!!  sure hannon played CHF for his club last week so i cant see much logic in your message C4sam...
anyway good luck to him, hope he plays well

?????????????? Surely Mackey was the pick of the players that night?

yes LoK sorry totally forgot that!!

whats my name

i hear that cavan are playing antrim in lacken on saturday for the opening of there new pitch.

sams the aim

well it appears big dermo is gone.good bye and thanks for all d good times.always felt he cud and shud have made more of the talent he had but appeard a bit to lazy to work on his game outside of trainings and matches. But what a talent he was.yea think cavan playing antrim in lacken is it a sat or a sunday lads. rumour has it Johnston a big doubt for first round wa kept in hospital for 3 days and nights after league game.supposedly serious enough and out for a few months now.Loss would be just ridiculous and does not bear talking about really. it was in the independant the other day. any view on league games this weekend?whos playing who

trim blue

Sorry to see big Dermot gone, especially in this way. When he swung over that point in the last minute against Louth I didn't think that would be the last time I'd see him do that for Cavan, a point was no good to us at that stage as we needed a goal but maybe he knew it was the last chance he'd get to swing one over. Of all the '97 contingent his retirement really marks the end of an era. Good luck to him and thanks for filling us with pride on so many occasions....
ah sure tog out anyway

Lawrence of Knockbride

Quote from: whats my name on April 29, 2009, 10:24:22 PM
i hear that cavan are playing antrim in lacken on saturday for the opening of there new pitch.
Lacken have a new pitch? What time's the game at?

put-it-up

This board has gone quiet over the last two days or so...Its almost as if we were subconciously mourning the loss of the Bull McCabe! :D

Lacken's pitch and clubhouse has been open for ages, its obviously one of those openings that happpen a year after it was actually finished!!!

Bongo

It is a shame Dermot's cavan career ended in such a fashion, but there you go, we need to move on and get a true replacement for that midfield position. Although I can't think of any options at the moment. Hopefully a few young lads will come through in the next few years.  i saw a small bit of a minor match at the weekend between Kingscourt and Ballyhaise. There was a couple of young lads who impressed me, No.8 for K'court and No.11 for B'haise (don't know their names). Big lads with plenty of skill. The type we need to be nurturing for the future.

If that news about Johnson is true, it'll be a big blow to our already feable chances. I'd say the best we could hope for realistically wud be a run in the backdoor. Hopefully I'm proven wrong. It'd be nice to see a wee bit of sucess come back to Breffni.

What to you think of the shamrocks run, Put-it-Up? 7 wins outta 7 is a great return. How will we fair in the championship? It'll be a big step up for these young lads.

put-it-up

Quote from: Bongo on April 30, 2009, 12:25:02 PM
It is a shame Dermot's cavan career ended in such a fashion, but there you go, we need to move on and get a true replacement for that midfield position. Although I can't think of any options at the moment. Hopefully a few young lads will come through in the next few years.  i saw a small bit of a minor match at the weekend between Kingscourt and Ballyhaise. There was a couple of young lads who impressed me, No.8 for K'court and No.11 for B'haise (don't know their names). Big lads with plenty of skill. The type we need to be nurturing for the future.

If that news about Johnson is true, it'll be a big blow to our already feable chances. I'd say the best we could hope for realistically wud be a run in the backdoor. Hopefully I'm proven wrong. It'd be nice to see a wee bit of sucess come back to Breffni.

What to you think of the shamrocks run, Put-it-Up? 7 wins outta 7 is a great return. How will we fair in the championship? It'll be a big step up for these young lads.

I didn't know you were a Shamrocks man Bongo, great to have another one on board..haha!I know what your saying about Dermot, it was only a matter of time, but to be honest I dont think he would have started midfield for the team this year anyway. It will probably be Galligan and Walshe. His best bet of a game was on the square, I think anyway.

Personally I want to see us playing Pearson and Jelly inside and pull the other cornerforward out to play the free role..i think Cullivan would suit that role well.

Yeah, from what I have seen and heard it has been a great start to the year for the Shamrocks but i don't think championship  football is top of their priority list. They will be happy enough to get out of Division Three at the first attempt I would say. The prize of never having to use Butlersbridge's pitch again might inspire them. ;)