Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the salmon of knowledge

i like the look of that team i must say, i will head to see the game i reckon, FF line has alot of strenght but i am not too sure about the service they will get, which will have to be pretty dead on. its a line out which will rely heavily on mackey i feel, but i think for cavan to do well in the summer, cian will have to be top of his game anyway. mackey against limerick, gunner against offaly and givney against down were the 3 best league preformances this year for me. gunner the pick of them.
ted should be well able to play CB no point making excuses for him before he puts on a jersey!!  sure hannon played CHF for his club last week so i cant see much logic in your message C4sam...
anyway good luck to him, hope he plays well

cavan4sam

Quote from: the salmon of knowledge on April 23, 2009, 07:30:16 PM
i like the look of that team i must say, i will head to see the game i reckon, FF line has alot of strenght but i am not too sure about the service they will get, which will have to be pretty dead on. its a line out which will rely heavily on mackey i feel, but i think for cavan to do well in the summer, cian will have to be top of his game anyway. mackey against limerick, gunner against offaly and givney against down were the 3 best league preformances this year for me. gunner the pick of them.
ted should be well able to play CB no point making excuses for him before he puts on a jersey!!  sure hannon played CHF for his club last week so i cant see much logic in your message C4sam...

I said that he shud be able to adapt to corner back if he is good enough. Am I missing something?

put-it-up

Quote from: boojangles on April 23, 2009, 02:37:56 PM
Quote from: cavan4sam on April 23, 2009, 02:14:13 PM
Im not saying that, what im saying is that at intercounty football you need everyone of full back line to be able to play in all 3 positions. Im sure he is a very good full back, ive listened to ye guys talk about him for so long, maybe now he will show us. I seen him play against us and he was playing on Sean, came off around 50 50. I hope is does the business cos Cavan need a good full back.
Agree with C4Sam here,If he is good enough which i think he is, he should be able to play in any of the Full-Back positions.Although I would be a wee bit worried that he may not have the pace for Corner back. Anyway Best of Luck Hope he shows well.
Don't like to see Gearoid McKiernan in on a County Senior panel and him only out of Minor.What is the point in that? While he is a big tall lad, he is very slight and IMO needs alot of coaching.Give him 2-3 years and he mite make it but throwing him into Senior InterCounty level before he is fully developed is stupid IMO.There are very few young lads who can make the transition so quick.Club football and Under-21 county should be enough.
Surely there are more experienced midfielders in the County?
Swadman what do you think?

Disagree with you there about McKiernan, Salmon.

yes he is young and still a bit too light but training as part of the Cavan Senior panel will bring him on more than training with his club. Also this way, he along with a few other younger players that are currently training with the team, can be supervised and I am sure the management team will have the younger players doing individual work on the development of their bodies!

In three or four years time, I see McKiernan and Givney as Cavan's midfield, that is if the AFL dont take him from us.....

anglocelt39

Cavan name 24 man panel three days before challenge match, is this some sort of record, we didn't know what the line up was in some of the league match before tuning in to the lads on Northern Sound. Am I blind or is one Sean Johsnston missing from the 24 man panel? Any comments on this, injury or something else?
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

mylestheslasher

Quote from: anglocelt39 on April 23, 2009, 09:25:17 PM
Cavan name 24 man panel three days before challenge match, is this some sort of record, we didn't know what the line up was in some of the league match before tuning in to the lads on Northern Sound. Am I blind or is one Sean Johsnston missing from the 24 man panel? Any comments on this, injury or something else?

He's probably doesn't do friendlys  ::). He wasn't playing for the gaels at the weekend either.

Celt_Man

Quote from: mylestheslasher on April 23, 2009, 09:34:34 PM
Quote from: anglocelt39 on April 23, 2009, 09:25:17 PM

He's probably doesn't do friendlys  ::). He wasn't playing for the gaels at the weekend either.
Ahh here lads, mind we don't get too personal here
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

mylestheslasher

Lawrence of Knockbride

Quote from: the salmon of knowledge on April 23, 2009, 07:30:16 PM

?????????????? Surely Mackey was the pick of the players that night?

BallyhaiseMan

Cavan Team V Galway

1. James Reilly Drung
2. Michael Brides Oliver Plunketts
3. Rory Dunne Redhills
4. Eoin Smith Killigarry
5. John Mc Cutcheon Cootehill
6. Padraig Reilly Ballinagh
7. Keith Fannin Drumgoon
8. David Givney Mountnugent
9. Nicholas Walsh Cavan Gaels
10. Sean Brady Castlerahan
11. Raymond Cullivan Ballyhaise
12. Cian Mackey Castlerahan
13. Jason Reilly Belturbet
14. Dermot Mc Cabe Gowna
15. Gerry Pearson Gowna

16. Fintan Reilly Redhills
17. Michael Lyng Cavan Gaels
18. Ronan Flanagan Castlerahan
19. Lorcan Mulvey Butlersbridge
20. Michael Hannon Drumgoon
21. Martin Reilly Killigarry
22. Gearoid Mc Kiernan Swanlinbar
23. Declan Mc Kiernan Killeshandra
24. Larry Reilly Knockbride

That full back line will get done for a serious amount of goals on Sunday if Galway have Meehan,Armstrong,Joyce and Co about
Michael Brides doesnt have the legs for IC level anymore,
Rory Dunne isnt fast enough off the mark for Full back.
Good that Eoin Smith is getting a chance but he could have a tough time on sunday.

Decent enough looking rest of the team
Although who will be fit to Stay with Joe Bergin when he makes his runs, i dont know.
If Carr hasnt learned against Louth that two slow players at centrefield is not on,then i wouldnt think much of his game analysis ability.
Givney and Walsh are both good players,But neither are mobile enough to stay with the likes of Bergin,Paddy Keenan the last day, and the likes of Marty McGrath or Dan Gordan in the championship.

Swadman

I have to agree with Boojangles on the McKiernan issue. He is just out of minor and too light for I.C. at the moment. No way should he play even challenges yet. I have no objection to a few of the U-21's training with the panel for experience (and to put a rocket up the seniors, show them whats coming up the line) but to concider playing them now at I.C. level is literally risking their survival for the future.

sams the aim

I'm new to this board but i have been reading a while now and I'm absolutely disgusted to hear abuse being fired at seanie johnston.Do yous so called fans not realise he is still our best player and top scorer by a country mile. Yous speak about attitude and before yous all reply I do see a problem when he gives out to players its not right i understand that but you dnt get as good as he has gotten without serious practice. Has anyone else seen the development in him physically in last two years. Obviously a lot of gym work being done. I have heard from numerous sources that he is never away from the pitch kicking including before and after every training. Now tell me if we more players doing this work would be in the position we are in now. He is one of the best players we have ever produced and yous just abuse him. The amount of players that move around during national anthems is huge and a lot of talking goes on during that time. To put the blame on just one player is crazy. Laurence you speak of attitude did you see where your club man headed when he was taking off( quite rightly i mite add). Do we ever here stories of Seanie out drinking with cavan gear on or falling about the place.
Michael lyng another one people saying biggest under achiever what he has gone through injury wise just to be playing. Do some fans not realise d effort these boys put in to perform aswel as they do against top players. Der are certain parts of Johnstons game he has to improve on but I do note he is passing more than ever this year another pass for podges goal against louth i think. He has to stop standing with hands on hips and stop shouting and be more positive to other players but folks we have got to get behind our players and try and progress this season and our future forwards.Other wise we are going no where. Please lets get behind them

Lawrence of Knockbride

Welcome to the board Sam's the Aim and I admire you optimistic name.
From reading your post you seem to agree with everyone on here. You've pointed out the same flaws that everyone else has and you state some positive things about the man. I criticised him doing what he does, I also criticised McCabe for (allegedly) missing the offaly game because he was at the rugby, I criticised Donal Keoghan's handling of affairs over the last two years and so on. The point is everyone knows what a good player he is and that's what makes his inappropriate behaviour harder to take. He has it all so why do the simple things right?
I get behind him and I don't abuse him or any other player/official at games. The point is everyone on here wants what's best for Cavan football and we point out the good and we point out the things taking away from it.
Showing disrespect to fellow players is wrong. I also think that Martin Reilly is a hard trainer and gives his all in games so maybe Seanie should get behind him.
No need to get defensive. I don't think there was too much wrong with the negatives pointed out. They were generally constructive.
Oh and I'm not from Knockbride...........just an ode...............

boojangles

Quote from: Lawrence of Knockbride on April 25, 2009, 12:45:51 AM

Jesus now that I didnt know.Altho I doubted the name,I always presumed you were from Knockbride.Care to inform us of your club or maybe people know already???
I can understand Sams the Aims point,Sean Johnston has dedicated his life to Cavan Football and making himself the footballer he is today.He is a winner and Cavan needs alot more of them but as you pointed out he lets himself down at times by bitching at other players.He has to understand that everybody on the Cavan team cant do everything as well as he can.One perfect example to look to is Colm Gooch Cooper.Most gifted footballer in Ireland but his attitude is what makes him the best.
Whats the club fixtures this weekend lads?
We are playing Drumgoon at home this evening at 6.30.need a win.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: sams the aim on April 25, 2009, 12:07:02 AM
I'm new to this board but i have been reading a while now and I'm absolutely disgusted to hear abuse being fired at seanie johnston.Do yous so called fans not realise he is still our best player and top scorer by a country mile. Yous speak about attitude and before yous all reply I do see a problem when he gives out to players its not right i understand that but you dnt get as good as he has gotten without serious practice. Has anyone else seen the development in him physically in last two years. Obviously a lot of gym work being done. I have heard from numerous sources that he is never away from the pitch kicking including before and after every training. Now tell me if we more players doing this work would be in the position we are in now. He is one of the best players we have ever produced and yous just abuse him. The amount of players that move around during national anthems is huge and a lot of talking goes on during that time. To put the blame on just one player is crazy. Laurence you speak of attitude did you see where your club man headed when he was taking off( quite rightly i mite add). Do we ever here stories of Seanie out drinking with cavan gear on or falling about the place.
Michael lyng another one people saying biggest under achiever what he has gone through injury wise just to be playing. Do some fans not realise d effort these boys put in to perform aswel as they do against top players. Der are certain parts of Johnstons game he has to improve on but I do note he is passing more than ever this year another pass for podges goal against louth i think. He has to stop standing with hands on hips and stop shouting and be more positive to other players but folks we have got to get behind our players and try and progress this season and our future forwards.Other wise we are going no where. Please lets get behind them

I think you'll find that everyone posting on this thread is a big admirer of Seanie Johnstone. This isn't the hoganstand and most peoples view are a little less parochial than what is said over there. I don't think anyone on here has had a go at a particular club for example. Seanie Johnstone is at a crossroads. He has very defender in Ireland worried about marking him and fair play to him for getting that far. He can now push on or he can continue bitching and moaning and tell everyone how he was great and team he was on were shite when he gets old. As Boojangles pointed out you never see Gooch, Padraig Joyce, Canavan etc standing with there hands on hips roaring at your own players as their man tears up the field with the ball. Football is a team sport, eveyone has to work for each other. If your fellow player is under pressure you dig a bit deeper and give him a hand. He'll do the same for you some day. John Giles in the soccer calls it honesty of endeavour. Seanie is not displaying this very important trait. If he does then he'll be one of the best footballer this county has produced (and we've produced some fantastic players) if not he'll stay stationary. His performance against Louth in the last league game was disgraceful (and it gives me no pleasure in saying that). No respect for minutes silence, no respect for the national anthem and no respect for his team mates. If I were Tommy Carr some serious words would have been said after that game. Seanie is young and can still change. Maybe he needs the manager to help him - I hope he does for the sake of Cavan football, which is all I am interested in seeing improve.

Lawrence of Knockbride

Quote from: boojangles on April 25, 2009, 10:40:15 AM
Quote from: Lawrence of Knockbride on April 25, 2009, 12:45:51 AM

Jesus now that I didnt know.Altho I doubted the name,I always presumed you were from Knockbride.Care to inform us of your club or maybe people know already???
I can understand Sams the Aims point,Sean Johnston has dedicated his life to Cavan Football and making himself the footballer he is today.He is a winner and Cavan needs alot more of them but as you pointed out he lets himself down at times by bitching at other players.He has to understand that everybody on the Cavan team cant do everything as well as he can.One perfect example to look to is Colm Gooch Cooper.Most gifted footballer in Ireland but his attitude is what makes him the best.
Whats the club fixtures this weekend lads?
We are playing Drumgoon at home this evening at 6.30.need a win.
Oh Boojangles, I've come over all shy. Let's just say I'm unaffiliated at the minute.