Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cavanmaniac

Has anyone seen Tierney recently? Is he in good physical shape or carrying alot of weight or what? He seems to be playing well in most games anyway, he's a player I'd love to see getting a good run of matches to see what he can do, which I suspect, is quite a bit.

cavan4sam

Tierney seems to be carrying quite a bit of timber but from what i have heard he is actually in the best shape he has been in for a long time.

Homer

Looking at the Cavan Hoganstand message board this evening and seen the following post...

QuoteDenn Man:      Could everybody please read the last paragraph on the Nuggets AGM update.....

So back to the main Cavan page and open up the article..........

QuoteMount Nugent club notes
29 January 2009

Droichead Ui Dalaigh
Mount Nugent gaa
Newsletter Weekending 1st February 2009

Issue No 53
Juvenile AGM
The Juvenile AGM was held on Friday 23rd January with a disappointing turn out of Parents. Tina Mc Cabe stepped down as Chairperson after two years in the position. We thank Tina for her hard word and dedication during her term in office and it was a pleasure to work with her. She has a great love of the game and we will miss her from the Juvenile club. The Juveniles loss is the Ladies Club gain. Tina is First aid officer with the ladies. Thanks again Tina and we wish you every success with our Ladies team. Kieran Knowd was elected as Chairperson. Kieran has been involved with underage football for a number of years with the club and we look forward to working with him in 2009 and beyond.

Chairman ; Kieran Knowd Secretary ; Siobhan Duffy Treasurer ; Breege Reilly Club/School Link ; Paul Campbell

U14 Management ; Arthur O'Reilly, Mattie Finnegan & Dermot ( Jahobi) Brady

U12 Management ; Kieran Known, Kieran Woodful & Louise O'Reilly

U6/8/10 Management ; Kevin Smyth, Paul Campbell, Andy Cooke, Mario Sylvetta

First Aid officer : Louise O'Reilly

Juvenile Membership : ?10 (now due)

Training for U12 & U14's starts on Sunday 1st February at 12 noon

U12 league starts on 30th March and U14 league starts on 2nd April

Senior AGM
The Senior AGM took place on Saturday 24th January with a large turn out for what was a very constructive (and fun) meeting. Sean Reilly stepped down as Club Chairman after 12yrs of service. Sean was an inspirational leader who took a hands on approach to running the club. He was never one to shy away from hard work or decision making and led by example when it came to getting jobs done. Sean succeeded Norbert Hanley in 1996 and guided the club through 12 years of team building and grounds development. He was always available to speak to and had Mountnugent Gaa running through every fibre of his body. Most of the present Senior team were playing underage football ( I said "most") when Sean took office and through an excellent underage structure we now have a team capable of fighting for top honours. Sean has not gone away and has vowed to continue working for the club. He wished all teams' success in the coming year and thanked all club officers and members for their support during his tenure as Chairman. We in turn thank Sean for his hard work and dedication to the club and wish him well in his (semi) retirement
Michael Caffrey succeeds Sean as Chairman. He brings a wealth of experience and knowledge to the position as he has been vice Chairman for a long number of years. We wish to take this opportunity to wish Michael every success in the job and to assure him of our full support as he leads the club to what we hope will be a golden era for Mountnugent GFC.

Chairman: Michael Caffrey Vice Chairman: Terry Reihill Secretary: John Duffy Assistant Secretary: Siobhan Duffy

Treasurer : Peter Boylan PRO; Noeleen Douglas, Siobhan Duffy, Terry Reihill Medical Officer; Terry Reihill

Delegates to the County Board; The rule has changed regarding delegates with only the Chairman & Secretary attending County Board meetings. In the absence of either one, a club office must replace them. These officers are Peter Boylan and Terry Reihill

Irish officers : Ronan Caffrey & Thomas Brady Referee : Jimmy Brady Linesmen/umpires: Stephen Deveraux to arrange for games

Gate attendance: Peter Boylan, Keith Greene, Noel O'Hagan, Suzie O'Reilly, Sean Cooke

Grounds maintenance Committee ; Dermot Brady, Chrissie Murray, Joey Adams, David Sheridan, Peter Boylan, Sean Brady, Martin Dunne, Seanie Reilly

Senior Team management; Sean Fitzpatrick, Dave Clarke & Bernie Lynch

U21 Team Management: Dermot Brady, Bernie Lynch & Eurick Reilly

Minor and U16 Team Management: Eurick Reilly, John Duffy, Conor Kelly, Killian Fitzsimons, Darren Fitzsimons, David Sheridan, Mattie Finnegan
& John Brady

Scor ; 2009 is the 40th Anniversary of Scor and Mary Garry appealed for more help with Scor. She is looking for Actors, singers, a team for question time and someone for a recitation. As we have a ladies club we are entitled to enter two teams in each category.

Membership ; details of membership will be published next week as we are looking into an offer of membership combined with entry to the lotto for 12 months.

Meeting on Thursday 29th January
There is an important meeting on Thursday 29th January at 9pm in the Clubrooms. Membership, lotto and injury management are on the agenda. All players/ members please attend.

Ladies Senior Training
Senior training continues on Wednesdays at 8pm and Sundays at 1pm. All new members welcome. With only four weeks to go to the start of the league, fitness and skills have to be worked on.

Ladies U14 training
The management and committee met last week and it has been decided that U14 training will re commence on 2nd March at 6.30pm . All parents must be present before commencement of the first U 14 training session.

Lotto Results
Results from Monday 26th Jan 2009
Jackpot ? 9400 Winning No's 6, 16, 20, 22 No Jackpot Winner Next weeks Jackpot ? 9550 Tickets ?2
5 x ?20 Winners
Caroline Murphy Ross , Matt McDonnell Dungimmon, James Tuite C/o Jacobi, P & A Smith Ross Mary Caffrey Tullyegan

Election time - Get Voting
The nominations have been made for the Anglo Celt / Northern Sound GAA player of the year award. Our clubman David Givney has been nominated for Junior Player of the year. There is an open vote for club of the year on the nomination sheet. Vote for Mountnugent. . Let's give our club players the recognition they richly deserve. Vote for David and vote for Mountnugent. Get voting !
You can post in the nomination sheet from the Celt or e mail your selection to media-awards@cavan.gaa.ie or register at anglocelt.ie

Cardiac Screening
Coole Surgery, near Castlepollard offers a Cardiac Screening Programme. It is a 30 minute session which involves questions on Family Medical History, an ECG and a physical examination. Cost per person is ?60 and screening is advised for players aged from 12 to 35 years. Appointments can be made with Dr Richard Look Tong 044 9661104

Scor
The first round of Scor takes place in Drumavaddy on Friday 20th February. Mary Garry needs your help with sketches, singing, recitations etc. Contact Mary 049 8541772

Star Personality - is this you ?
AQUARIUS- The Sweetheart ( Jan 20 - Feb 18) Optimistic and honest. Sweet personality. Very independent. Inventive and intelligent. Friendly and loyal. Can seem unemotional. Can be a bit rebellious. Very stubborn, but original and unique. Attractive on the inside and out. Eccentric personality.

Two Blue
We now have two Clubmen wearing the blue shirt of Breffni. Graham Patterson played for Cavan U21's against Longford last weekend and we have David Givney on the Senior team at present. We wish both lads every success with Cavan and we hope their experience will be of benefit to Mountnugent in 2009.

Happy Birthday
We wish to send our best wishes to this week's birthday girl, Louise O' Reilly.

And Finally
Flynn staggered home very late after another evening with his drinking buddy, Paddy. He took off his shoes to avoid waking his wife, Mary. He tiptoed as quietly as he could toward the stairs leading to their upstairs bedroom, but misjudged the bottom step. As he caught himself by grabbing the banister, his body swung around and he landed heavily on his rump. A whiskey bottle in each back pocket broke and made the landing especially painful.
Managing not to yell, Flynn sprung up, pulled down his pants, and looked in the hall mirror to see that his butt cheeks were cut and bleeding. He managed to quietly find a full box of Band-Aids and with the aid of the mirror began putting a Band-Aid as best he could on each place he saw blood.
He then hid the now almost empty Band-Aid box and shuffled and stumbled his way to bed.
In the morning, Flynn woke up with searing pain in both his head and butt and Mary staring at him from across the room.
She said, "You were drunk again last night weren't you?"
Flynn said, "Why you say such a mean thing?"
"Well," Mary said, "it could be the open front door, it could be the broken glass at the bottom of the stairs, it could be the drops of blood trailing through the house, it could be your bloodshot eyes, but mostly.....it's all those Band-Aids stuck on the hall mirror.

:D :D :D

mylestheslasher

I wonder was it done intentionally - pure class :D

cavan4ever

Anyone have the master fixtures. i cant find them.

BallyhaiseMan

How in gods fuckin name do you lose a game when you have at least 70% possession.  >:(
Longford got into our half about 4 times in the second half!
absolutely disgusted at losing a match we dominated,
we Lost this game from numbers 1 to 4.

Goalkeeper Fintan Reily cost us a point by being slow and should have done better with that first goal.

Michael Brides,was average enough,caught sleeping for the first goal.

Padraig Reily, i dont enjoy saying this,because i like the guy and think he has great football ability,but he was atrocious today,
slow,cumbersome,and was in serious trouble in the air against that big full forward,who scored 2-1 i think
im afraid the Podge era at full back has seen its last day,still place for him on the team but he just doesnt have the speed for FB

Martin Cahill same as brides,not sure which of the full back line was caught sleeping for the goal from a ball dropped short.
Horrendous stuff alround though,

Paul Brady,thought he done well,and won his personal battle,picking up breaks and driving forward.

Ronan Flanagan,dropped in front of the full back line in the first half,picking up breaks and stray ball,had a good battle with Pauric Berry in the second half,but overall i thought he done well.

Johnny Crowe,won some good breaks and came off the better of his marker,didnt look very fit though.
I thought the half back line all in all were very good.

Midfield,
Ciaran Galligan,played well i thought,won the dirty ball,put his head and body on the line a few times,drove forward well also.
Nicholas Walsh,struggled with Kevin Mulligans speed at times,but Nicko put himself about a bit won breaks,gave some good ball(and a few bad ones) into the forwards.Tired near the end and was replaced by a board favourite Lorcan Mulvey!!
Midfield won their battle all ends up for me,We had streams and streams of possession.

Half Forwards
Eddie Reily, Eddie Worked hard but drifted out of the game after the first 20 minute sin which he was prominent,replaced by Jelly near the end,done ok,but not one of eddie's best games for cavan.

Ray Cullivan, thought my former clubmate was outstanding, fielded some great ball,and gave some great ball into the forwards especially in the first half,he did miss one and get blocked down,but i was encouraged,good to see him back to near his best.

Mark McKeever,decent throughout,worked hard,got on a bit of ball,but didnt impact the game as we know Mark can,maybe it will come as the fitness improves,i dont know, he just hasnt shown that ability in the last 2 years,which we know he has.

Martin Reily, terrific from frees except his last one which he missed,won some good ball out in front,and was fouled alot,would like to see him score a few more from play,but overall done well.

David Givney,i was pulling my hair out,over him at times, hes a terrific targetman, with fantastic hands,that catch he made down the town-end to set up a goal chance, was as good as you would see anywhere, he does lack pace though,and takes a bit too much out of the ball, sometimes,with a bit of coaching hes going to be a star.

Gerard Pierson, Gerry was good from frees throughout mostly,wasnt great from play in the first half,but had a great second half,kicked one lovely point in particular from play,his marker was eventually double black booked,as he was hanging out of Pierson the whole game.

subs
Seanie Johnson,Seanie came on and kicked a point,but hes not match fit or sharp at all,doubt we would have seen him at all,only things were going so bad.

Larry Reily,The Great one didnt do much when he came on,got done for overcarrying once,
has a bit more beef to lose,before we see  his best.

Lorcan Mulvey,came on,gave the ball away,yep.
dont know if anyone else came on,i was out the gate when McGee scored Longfords sixth point.

The Goalkeeper/ Full Back line were a complete bombscare,its no exagerration to say Longford had about 5 attacks in 30 minute sthe second half,and they came away with 2-1.
Big Shanley at full forward looks a good player for our neighbours,but he wont make anyone forget about Benny Coulter/Ronan Clarke/Stephen O Neil.
we have got to clean up that mess back there or we will be embarrassed come the championship.
Forwards dropped 4 balls into the goalkeepers hands,thats the only other concern for me.
Otherwise we arent in bad shape.

Congratulations to our longford neighbours,
Despite you missing about 80% of your first choice players,you beat us fair and square,
Best of luck for the rest of the league and championship.

i think il go into hibernation until the Tipp game,this one today stung!!!!

Shamrock Shore

My virginal posting in the Cavan thread  :o

Thanks man from Ballyhaise. I listened in on Shannonside and I couldn't believe how we won that one. We were odds on for a Biblical baytin but Cavan seemed to have conspired successfully not to win a game there for the taking.

What this says about Cavan is anyones guess.

Early days to be sure and I hope to see ye boys (hey, I am married to a Cavan woman) do well for the rest of the year.

Cavan and Longford for promotion!

LaurelEye

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on February 01, 2009, 06:11:12 PMCongratulations to our longford neighbours,
Despite you missing about 80% of your first choice players,you beat us fair and square,
Best of luck for the rest of the league and championship.

Anyone who ever said that Cavan people weren't generous never met the Cavan defence ;D

Best of luck to Cavan in the rest of the league and thanks for the best wishes - I think we're going to need them.
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

cavan4ever

Miller is needed back in nets ASAP.  If he had of played today we would have won.

Thats the worst team that we will play all year and couldn't beat them.  A team wouldnt have that amount possesion in two games 

anglocelt39

Well lads plenty of people on this thread predicted that we were going to be in trouble in the full back line and so it has come to pass. The options seem to be limited enough it seems-Dermot Sheridan was under serious pressure against Louth for DCU. Where is Hannon? The year we got through the qualifiers against Meath etc. he was superb. I think he suffered a bit by being the one we offered up to mark Benny Coulter against Down a few years ago when, in reality, nobody in Cavan would have lived with said man.Eamon Reilly? Gunner?

Don't want to be a total pessimist but I think we seriously needed a win today, Longford aren't in great shape and I don't fancy our chances of promotion after that. We need three wins to stay in Division 3 and relegation to 4 would be an absolute shagging disaster.

The comment about Miller is also relevant, when was the last time we conceded three goals with him in the sticks, could do with working on his kickouts mind.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

Drung

The goalkeeper was at fault for a point in the first half (Longford's first I think) but he wasn't at fault for ANY of the goals.

The first goal Padraig Reilly went up and the forward fisted it and it deflected off Podge's hand and in off the far post. The second one Fintan Reilly actually made a good save when he was hopelessly exposed but the forward buried the rebounder (again, the full back was at fault).

The third goal, my clubmate Ciaran Galligan made a big mad flap at it instead of busting through man and all - the forward just stuck out his fist and directed it home.

The problem was not the keeper, it was the full-back. Podge is a great footballer but he's not an inter-county full-back. Time to try a new option there and maybe experiment with Podge somewhere else.

All in all it was a very good performance bar the goals! Sounds stupid but it's true. Should have been 0-12 to 0-6.

cavan4ever

Quote from: Drung on February 01, 2009, 09:16:20 PM
The goalkeeper was at fault for a point in the first half (Longford's first I think) but he wasn't at fault for ANY of the goals.

The first goal Padraig Reilly went up and the forward fisted it and it deflected off Podge's hand and in off the far post. The second one Fintan Reilly actually made a good save when he was hopelessly exposed but the forward buried the rebounder (again, the full back was at fault).

The third goal, my clubmate Ciaran Galligan made a big mad flap at it instead of busting through man and all - the forward just stuck out his fist and directed it home.

The problem was not the keeper, it was the full-back. Podge is a great footballer but he's not an inter-county full-back. Time to try a new option there and maybe experiment with Podge somewhere else.

All in all it was a very good performance bar the goals! Sounds stupid but it's true. Should have been 0-12 to 0-6.

He may not have being at fault as such but i though he made a poor attempt to get to the first and the third nearly hit him on the way past.  If Miller had of being playing Cavan would have won.

BallyhaiseMan

lads
no sign of Paddy Gumley
John Tierney
or Anton Reily on the panel, 3 lads who were good in the McKenna Cup and challenges. were they cut from the panel?

its far too soon to cut down to 24 players like Carr done friday night.yes a panel of 43 needed to be cut down,but not that much.
Yes you can only name 24 for a game,but why not keep 30 of a panel.

of the lads that i would imagine might be starting come championship we were without

Keith Fannin(sub)
Dermot Sheridan(sub)
Dermot McCabe
Sean Brady
Michael Lyng
Michael Hannon
James Reily
Jason Reily.

cavan4ever

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on February 01, 2009, 11:31:51 PM
lads
no sign of Paddy Gumley
John Tierney
or Anton Reily on the panel, 3 lads who were good in the McKenna Cup and challenges. were they cut from the panel?

its far too soon to cut down to 24 players like Carr done friday night.yes a panel of 43 needed to be cut down,but not that much.
Yes you can only name 24 for a game,but why not keep 30 of a panel.

Id say it isn't cut down that much yet.  They will need at least 30 players to cover for injuries and suspension.  You are right about those 3 players anyway.  It would have being ideal to bring on Tierney when Givney went off.  No direct ball went in after that.

mylestheslasher

As BMH says, how do you lose to a team that you had as much as 80% possesion against and a team that are simply not nearly as good as Cavan. Incredible that we lost this game. We had a wasteful first 20 minutes when we owned the ball but kept giving it away. Then we got hit for the first of 3 sucker punch goals against the run of play. Longford sensed we were a bit shell shocked and pushed on for the last 10 minutes of the 1st half (the only time they got any sort of decent possesion) tagging on a few points. The 2nd half had to be seen to be believed. We won almost 100% possesion from every kick out and did quite well with the ball against Longfords "all out defend" where they had only two men in cavans half and also their repetitive fouling which the ref was a joke on btw (i'll elaborate more on the thread on the new rules). So we pull ourselves back only to get hit on the counter for a terrible terrible goal and then we pull ourselves back again to take the lead only to concede another woeful goal.

Anton Reilly did ok. Was responsible for a point but thats it. Anyone complaining about him being slow of his line should also remember that it is not exactly James Reillys strong point either. Hard to rate ourt corner backs of Brides and Cahill. Had nothing to do most of the game. Brides at fault for one goal. Podeg was atrocious. He is no full back and doesn't look like he wants to be playing there if I read the body language right. It was not speed that did him yesterday lads. The guy he was marking was no speed merchant. It is concentration that is his problem. He is reacting too slowly to his mans runs. He also has no real physical presence to be playing in there. I know Carr has no ready made FB at the moment and he is trying to "build" one but I think he'll have to build elsewhere.
Half back line (crowe, Flanagan and Gunner) were ok in the 1st half but dominated totally in the 2nd (although Flanagan had a good battle with the Longford No 11 when he came on). In midfield we won hands down. Galligan did well breaking ball to his own men as did walsh throwing his weight around. Still some room for improvement as the ball in was not always great. Half forwards (Eddie, Cullivan & McKeever)did not work hard enough for me in the 1st half. We had lots of possesion in the FF line and no runners were coming on the shoulder to break down the Longford mass defence. Eddie was on the ball a lot in the 1st half but seemed to tire. Cullivan really picked it up in the 2nd half and was our best player. Looks really bulked up and strong. McKeever had a poor game imo. Looks to not be fit and kicked some poor passes. Pearson was very wasteful in the 1st half but most of got a kick up  the hole at half time as he was really up for it in the 2nd and was repeatedly fouled by his man who eventually got a yellow card. Givney was a mixed bag. Won nearly every ball that went into him (even some real shitty balls coming out of the clouds) but then gave it away when he got it - sometime due to having no support and sometimes just by taking too much out of it. Martin Reilly did ok and was good from frees.

Some positives. First time in a long long time we looked a big team. Crowe, Walsh, Galligan Givney all looked bigger and stronger  than there counterparts. We played all the ball and if we played Longford tomorrow we'd beat them easy. That game was a freak incedent in that they got so many soft goals. If we were playing  them tomorrow Podge would have to be moved out of FB i'm afraid. Other negative is that it does not look like we'll be getting promoted and we could get into some bother in this league now. We have difficult away games at Down & Louth. We have to win our home games againts Tipp, Limerick and Offally to stay clear of trouble.

So who can we realistically try at FB. Here are some names, some are not practical but we need to consider everybody...

Dunne - too young, light?
Rabbitte - missing from panel, injury prone
Chesty - where the hell is he?
Sean Brady - Would he have the pace?
Gaynor - Or maybe not?
McCutheon - Height, pace. I don't know.
edit - Dermot Shierdan - Is he big enough?

Carr will have to try someone else or we'll be in bother come championship.