Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Homer

I'm still here, just don't get posting as much as I use to.

Re: Tommy Carr
Not hugely excited by the appointment but I wish Tommy all the best and would be only too delighted for him to prove me wrong. I think Myles said it best,  as a county we're just not attractive enough to get anyone better at the minute. Hopefully he'll have learned from his time with Dublin and Roscommon and things could work out for us. Will be interesting to see what sort of names return to the panel... Lyng? Gaynor? Chesty?

As for the format proposals, I think one of the main problems they are trying to address is that the Leagues are not competitive enough at the moment, and every year the arse always falls out if them as the year goes on as only a handful of teams have either promotion/semi-final to play for or relegation to avoid. Introducing Semi-Finals may help this but I'd prefer to see the League given more importance by allowing it to have a bearing on the Championship. Something like a seedings system introduced where a team's end of year League position would assign them there seeding and this would be used during the championship draw for the coming year (however as it's unlikely that we will get the league run-off in time it may have to used for the following year). So for the first round of the championship seed 1 teams go into one pot and are drawn against a seed 2 side. Just an idea but it might help keep things a little more competitive right to the end.

A few of the Ballinagh lads are heading up for a 7-a-side competition in Ratoath tomorrow. This is the first year they've organised it, inviting the reigning intermediate champions from every county. I have always heard great things about the Kilmacud tournament so hoping to go along for the day.

cavanmaniac

I went to the Kilmacud 7s one year and it was one of the best days I've passed watching GAA. Some major intercounty stars on show playing exhibition football what with the extra space and fast pace of the games. Marvellous stuff. Just highlights how good a game it could be when there's less negativity and crabbed handpassing.

As for returning players for Tommy Carr, I'd be surprised if he didn't at least give Gaynor a chance. Unfortunately, with Gaynor I expect this would be a chance to screw up again, but I expect Tommy will give him at least one to see if he can be handled or responds properly.

Lyng I would expect back as well, I'd say his reasons for quitting last time were 80% Keogan-related.

Chesty will likely get a turn too if he's interested, although I must say he has always totally underwhelmed me in an intercounty shirt, maybe it's just me, I dunno. I'd far rather see Rabbitte back in harness, fully fit, he was the last passing impression of a full-back we had I think.

Ah sure it's a new slate and hope as ever, springs eternal. I think Pearse McKenna's time may have passed in terms of age as well as motivation but if he had anything left in the tank in either respect, he'd be worth a look for a year at least.

By the way, did anyone see that hilarious email of DK doing the rounds?

Homer

Saw 'the email' alright Maniac... you'd think Keoghan of all people would remember to lock himself in!

mylestheslasher

Quote from: cavanmaniac on September 19, 2008, 02:37:26 PM
I went to the Kilmacud 7s one year and it was one of the best days I've passed watching GAA. Some major intercounty stars on show playing exhibition football what with the extra space and fast pace of the games. Marvellous stuff. Just highlights how good a game it could be when there's less negativity and crabbed handpassing.

As for returning players for Tommy Carr, I'd be surprised if he didn't at least give Gaynor a chance. Unfortunately, with Gaynor I expect this would be a chance to screw up again, but I expect Tommy will give him at least one to see if he can be handled or responds properly.

Lyng I would expect back as well, I'd say his reasons for quitting last time were 80% Keogan-related.

Chesty will likely get a turn too if he's interested, although I must say he has always totally underwhelmed me in an intercounty shirt, maybe it's just me, I dunno. I'd far rather see Rabbitte back in harness, fully fit, he was the last passing impression of a full-back we had I think.

Ah sure it's a new slate and hope as ever, springs eternal. I think Pearse McKenna's time may have passed in terms of age as well as motivation but if he had anything left in the tank in either respect, he'd be worth a look for a year at least.

By the way, did anyone see that hilarious email of DK doing the rounds?

I think a clean slate is def required. He needs to lay his cards on the table and make everyone know what he expects. If it is beyond players then they can walk away. If some of them screw up then he can give them the boot. But I think it is only right to start from scratch with everyone.

I'd like to see that email on Keoghan. Can you PM it to me if it can't be posted.

Denn Forever

Drung 1 09       Shercock 1  04

An enjoyable game after the negative, scared senior football that I've seen this year.  Drung were always in control with the wing backs joining with the attack at will in the first half.  Shercock were much better possession wise in the second half and may have caused Drung more problems if they'd taken the points instead of going for goals.  The referee wasn't too bad but I would say that Shercock followers will not be sending him a christmas card this year. 

The game also demonstated the usefulness of having a keeper that has a good kickout.  The Shercock keeper had to be inventive when kicking out the ball to get his man where as the Drung keeper could drive it long to his midfielders.  But I hope next year in the Ulster chamnpionship he won't let as soft a goal as he let in tonight.  I'd say he'll be there as are there any other keepers about.

That said, enjoyable football and the first championship game I've been at this year when there was a good atmosphere kept alive by the play on the field.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Swadman

PROPOSED CHANGES FOR THE A.C.F.L. LEAGUE BY THE COUNTY BOARD

•   Semi Finals in all divisions:  This is more games and I know that a league is a league but it would keep the interest of the mid table teams in the competition. The top 2 at the end of the league obviously get promoted but a top 4 play-off for a League cup would be good.
•   Division 1 to 3 relegation semi finals to allow 4 games without county players (This gives clubs with county players chance to get out of relegation) Don't agree at all. This means that if you have a county player(s) you will have to play 4 games of the league without him/them. Pointless. Makes a joke of the league. Whatever about one or two games without him/them, but no relegation play-offs.
•   Rounds of league to be completed before championship starts on Master Plan Yes. League should start early March but the Master Plan should take into account delays in finishing the league eg. bad weather, funerals, etc. and set the championship to start mid August.
Division 6 My own idea for this division is that it should be 13 a side, 25 mins per half. It is the bottom of the barrell and a place where old boys are out to pasture and very young lads are blooded but a lot of games this year have been cancelled either because clubs would have to play most of their 1st team, or it was a mid week fixture, or it was'nt played as a doudle header (when it could have been). I feel sorry for the guys who help to make up the numbers at training all season but are just not good enough for even a bench start on the 1st team. Games in Div 6 are for these Walter Mitty's and the few youngsters who will make it to the next level. The GAA and every club need these guys involved, it's not all about winning, taking part and adding life and commitment to your club should be rewarded too.  

PROPOSED CHANGES FOR CHAMPIONSHIP

•   Move 2 teams from Intermediate to Senior.
•   This leaves 16 teams – 4 groups of 4, top 2 quarter finals, bottom team relegation.

•   Same procedure for the Intermediate and Junior
•   Allow teams who want to play in Junior Championship who have 2 teams play and promotion from Junior B to Junior.
Sound good. If it starts mid August then by the first or second week in October it should be all over bar the shouting.
Condition:  If Cavan make it to An All Ireland Championship Quarter Final that the championship reverts to a straight knockout.

Other Options:

1.   Straight Knockout Competition
2.   Run on a league basis – 4 groups of 4.  OK
A shield final could be run for the bottom 2 in each group. NO

boojangles

Was up in Breifne last night for the Shercock-Drung game.Shercock had a world of ball in the 2nd half but have to say I was
disappointed in their use of the ball.I seen them 2 years ago and the 1 thing I liked about Shercock back then was how fast they moved
the ball.You's also had some fine young fellas coming through but you's never seem to get going last night.Men in the stands were shouting for the ball to be kicked in high and long but it was coming straight back out.Drung while not looking world beaters still did what they had to and never really looked troubled in the 2nd half,which was strange considering the amount of chances Shercock had.CC1 Why wasnt Paddy McPhilips started? he kicked 2 great points when he came on and looked like the only man who could unlock the Drung defence.Your No.5 Gary Smith had a fine game but in saying that his opposite number No.15
Michael McEntee did damage also kicking 2 or 3 nice scores.
As regards the changes to League and Championship.Firstly I think its a positive step that the County Board are thinking of ways to improve the standard of football in the County.For too long structures were in place that obviously werent working.
My own club have picked 3 men to try and brainstorm some ideas and we have also contacted our neighbouring clubs to try and pool our ideas together.
The idea of 16 Senior teams seems a good idea,as it will give more players a chance to compete at a higher level.BH Man mentioned the idea of going back to the way of having groups of 3 and 4 for the Championship,personally I dont think its the way to go.While we all know about the long hard training that goes in preparation for Championship football,and 1 game is not enough for 1 summer I think Championship should b as close to knock out as we can get it.BH Man you will remember as well as Me and Homer do the year Lacken won their Intermediate in 2004,they had been beaten 3 times by Ballinagh,Ballyhaise and ourselves.No offence to Lacken or anything but I dont think that system works.
The Round Robin system in place is grand to an extent but the 1st round winners are not benefitting fron a break of 6 or 7 weeks as Ballyhaise nearly found out against Cootehill the 1st day.There has to b a tighter time limit put on these Qualifier games or we will have clubs trying to get into the Qualifiers to get a few tough games under their belt while the Q-Final opponents are like sitting ducks.
I like Homers suggestion about seeding teams for the Championship based on their League form but I dunno how clubs like Gowna who are very dependent on their County men would agree with it.But its definetley a good idea,because the way the League has gone no teams give a f**k about it(or mayb Im speaking for myself?) The attendances at some league games I played in and attended this year was dreadful.We have to generate some sort of a buzz about club football in the County again.
At the moment too many good footballers are being pulled away from our National games.Young lads are sick and tired of sacrificing so much especially in the Summer(6 or 7 weeks not drinking or going out,missing festivals,holidays etc) only to be beaten by a dodgy decision from a referee or a last minute goal.
Iv been lucky enough to win a Championship with my club and it was the best day of my life,2 years of serious training and sacrifices but at least I got a reward at the end of it all.I have to feel sorry for the lads who carry on year in,year out and never get their just rewards.Its obviously about Pride in yourself and your club and family but theres only so far that can take you without a medal.

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: boojangles on September 20, 2008, 01:08:10 PM
BH Man mentioned the idea of going back to the way of having groups of 3 and 4 for the Championship,personally I dont think its the way to go.While we all know about the long hard training that goes in preparation for Championship football,and 1 game is not enough for 1 summer I think Championship should b as close to knock out as we can get it.BH Man you will remember as well as Me and Homer do the year Lacken won their Intermediate in 2004,they had been beaten 3 times by Ballinagh,Ballyhaise and ourselves.No offence to Lacken or anything but I dont think that system works.

id be a fan of that system Boojangles,But i can see where you are coming from
i know the year Cuchullains won the IFC
we hammered them in one of the group games.

im not a fan of this present format,as we have been f**ked over two years going, with a 6 or 7 week break until we play the qualifier winner in the quarter final.

im also not a fan of course of straight knockout,as you said,Teams do too much training for just the possibility of one game.

As for the Championship based on seeding,Its an interesting idea,But for example the intermediate this year

How would Drumalee,Ballyhaise(at bottom of Division One  :(  ) and Lavey in Division One be seeded in comparison to the likes of Drumgoon and Redhills who are at the top of Division Two
Automatically higher due to the division????
It would probably work better with Senior as  all senior teams bar Ramor and Knockbride are in Div 1, whereas Inter and Junior Championship are comprised of Division 1,2,3 and 2,3 respectively
Interesting Suggestion though Homer.

BallyhaiseMan

Just seen Drung 1-09 Shercock 1-04

Shercock fail to make the breakthrough yet again,

they are underachieving greatly as there lots of talent in that club.

Same as their neighbours Drumgoon, Ballinagh(up to last year) and probably ourselves to a degree.

CC1

Quote from: PhilsJemmysField on September 17, 2008, 11:31:57 AM
PROPOSED CHANGES FOR THE A.C.F.L. LEAGUE BY THE COUNTY BOARD

•   Semi Finals in all divisions - As Denn Forever has already pointed out. This means more games. The top team should be declared as the winner unless there is another team or teams on equal points. Only then should they have knock out games
•   Division 1 to 3 relegation semi finals to allow 4 games without county players (This gives clubs with county players chance to get out of relegation) - Absolutely stupid idea. Creates more games and headaches. Gaelic football is a team game and should not be influenced by individuals.
•   Rounds of league to be completed before championship starts on Master Plan - Good idea, but it has been proposed before and has never happened.

PROPOSED CHANGES FOR CHAMPIONSHIP

•   Move 2 teams from Intermediate to Senior. - Good idea. How would it work though? The two intermediate finalists promoted??
•   This leaves 16 teams – 4 groups of 4, top 2 quarter finals, bottom team relegation.  Semi finalists from previous year grade into each group. - Good idea.
•   Same procedure for the Intermediate and Junior - Good idea
•   Allow teams who want to play in Junior Championship who have 2 teams play and promotion from Junior B to Junior. - Well obviously I'm going to object to this until we're promoted ourselves! :P

Condition:  If Cavan make it to An All Ireland Championship Quarter Final that the championship reverts to a straight knockout. - Good idea. Will never happen in a million years though

Other Options:

1.   Straight Knockout Competition - I personally like the idea of a straight knock out. Others will disagree I'm sure because of lack of games and what not, but I think the championship has lost alot of its charm since they allowed a back door and group games
2.   Run on a league basis – 4 groups of 4.  A shield final could be run for the bottom 2 in each group. The groups have been done before and are a waste of time. The shield sounds even worse.

"We would appreciate your comments or any other suggestions for the format of our league and championship"

Please reply before 03rd October with views.

Thanking you.

"Hey, don't worry; don't be afraid, ever, because this is just a ride."

Denn Forever

Division 1 to 3 relegation semi finals to allow 4 games without county players (This gives clubs with county players chance to get out of relegation)

Any know what Carr's opinion on keeping County players for the county and not allowing them to play in club league games?  Do other counties do this?  I would imagine that it would be better for players to play competative game rather than sit them out and only train with the county.  What are the opinions of the people on the board?

Tyrone by two. 

Ramor Denn final.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

boojangles

Well Done Tyrone,superb team and manager.Won me 500 bucks too.Backed them at 14s and 12s 2 months ago.Crazy price in hindsight.

Hollow Man

QuoteWell Done Tyrone,superb team and manager.Won me 500 bucks too.Backed them at 14s and 12s 2 months ago.Crazy price in hindsight.

You should have backed it in euros, you would have made more.

boojangles

f**k that,the bucks currency is worth far more round Cavan town anyway.It got me well steaming last nite anyway.

mylestheslasher

Seen that email with Keoghan. What a classy man. I don't believe you could ever catch Mickey Harte in that situation somehow. Unbelievable our county board gave that man our management job. Thank God it is all over now.