Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anglocelt39

Fair bit of sense in what you say there all right Myles. I'll just pull you up no one thing though, there was PLENTY of support for DK on this board at the time of the appointment. I remember it well for taking plenty of stick for Comparing the management team of himself and the other fella to a Staunton/Robson type setup. Anway, can't be bothered splitting hairs any more, it's the weekend, here's hoping..........
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

cavanmaniac

I was initially dead set against DK alright but was prepared to reluctantly give him a chance on the basis that Grimley was there with him to hold his hand, and also on the basis that it wasn't right to bury him totally before he'd even started. Once Grimley went, I kinda knew it was curtains for DK although there was rumour of some Tyrone lad coming on board to assist (?). I know we eventually lost the replay against Down last year but I felt our tactics were spot on that day, with only the sending off really tipping it in Down's favour before the end - tactics with Grimley's autograph all over them, tactics that DK wouldn't have come up with himself in a million years. Once that intelligence was gone off the sideline we were, quite simply, always going to be banjaxed.

But there's so many elements wrong with the set up at the moment, from county board, to manager, to player commitment, discipline, morale, supporter apathy, you name it, that the only thing to do is take a wrecking ball to the whole edifice. The county board committee that appointed Keogan should never be allowed have anything to do with another appointment ever again. I know prime candidates aren't dripping from the branches out there but that's no reason to persist with the current untenable situation either. Doing nothing is not an option.

With a new manager in place, again I say the county panel should be disbanded and with no recourse to profile/big names etc., only those prepared to sign up to a code of conduct and committment are allowed in, and if they don't stick to it, out they go. End of story. I know it's a voluntary sport and so on, and these guys are amateur, but that's no reason to accept our lads being more amateur than all the other counties. Everyone joining the panel would do so fully aware of what's being asked and if they find they can't live with it, then they're free to leave with everyone's thanks for their efforts. At most, we'd roughly lose 7/8 off the current panel and you'd be surprised how much some of the other ambitious lads actually crave a decent structure and would respond with an extra 20% in a proper, disciplined set up where they can see things are progressing.

But if we have to build with raw youth and accept a few more lean years, it'd be better than sticking with the way we do things now and still have lean years, just with no prospect of it changing down the road. At least if we start anew we'll be in a healthy position inside 2/3 years, unlike now where we're just eating ourselves away slowly from the inside out.

boojangles

Andrews was a decent manager and we reached a Div 1 league final under him,
Sorry to nitpick Myles but we reached the Division 1 league final under Kerrigan.We reached the 01 Ulster final under Andrews.
Anglocelt-I agree with alot of your points but basically 2 wrongs dont make a right.Some players have an attitude problem and I agree whatever manager is over them we mite never see the best out of them but DK was never the right man to get the best out of any group of players.The County Board are a disgrace to appoint him which I have stated before.There is so much wrong with Cavan football at the moment and I mite b retired before alot of the problems are sorted.
But we have the players to at least compete in Division 2.I wouldnt see much difference in the talent we have compared to Monaghan,Westmeath,Fermanagh.None of the these counties have won anythin at Underage in the last 10 years either.Nobody is expecting us to win Ulster but the least we could ask for is for our County team to play to its potential,like it did under Coleman (most of the time).

gortnaleck

I think Cavan were very competitive in the League this year except for the Monaghan game and on another day a few of those results could be reversed,including the Cork one.We do not have better players in the county who want to play for Cavan or they would be out there.I think we have any amount of good footballers  in what I would call the 2nd level,who would be interchangeable without much drop in performance.Cavan,and every team i suppose,need the couple of superstars.Two freetakers  would be nice too and not five or six.A bit of luck would be good as only for it we'd be still talking about 1969 and the useless manager McHugh was as well as the rest of our managers.!!!!!!

Celt_Man

Any results from any of the league games this evening? we beat Shercock by 3 points or so... heard Killeshandra were beaten by Drumalane
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

BallyhaiseMan

Boooooooooojangles i can seeeee you pe\king in  :P  :D  :D  :D  :D

you had a very solid game yerself though if it is any consolationm.

Boys wer goign to win SAM!!! i can feel it.

CC1

Quote from: Celt_Man on May 10, 2008, 11:44:19 PM
Any results from any of the league games this evening? we beat Shercock by 3 points or so... heard Killeshandra were beaten by Drumalane
Absolutely sickened. We missed so many chances. Your lads were making some serious runs forward though. Colm Smith scored two or three great points and McCutcheon was too much for our makeshift midfield. Our forwards were our downfall... again...
"Hey, don't worry; don't be afraid, ever, because this is just a ride."

boojangles

Well done BH Man,better and fitter team won.Were ya playin yourself?Ah I dont really wanna talk about it but we need a serious big mirror in our dressingrooms.Gaffney and Enda McCormack were very poor and our midfield made BarryMcCrudden look like an All-Star.The game turned after the penalty,I kno I gave it away but I was left in a bit of a spot after Heffos blunder.Where was Gerry O Rourke?

BallyhaiseMan

i was indeed playing,,i think you clattered me a few times,  ye started well,but  faded out of it in the 2nd half,Yas missed Gary Fernacombe  around the centre field area

Hefernan is a good shotstopper, but jaysus hes horrid eccentric, the chances he takes, :D hed give me a heart attack if he were my goalkeeper.

Gerry had personal matters i believe and was away this weekend,he will be delighted im sure.

as for results

Killygarry beat Belturbet 0-09 to 0-08
thats all i know

boojangles

In fairness to Heffernan,I wouldnt swap him for many Goalies in the county,he is a serious shotstopper and his kick-outs are usually great but if he loses the head thats it,mite as well take him off.He loses it every so often and unfortunately it seems to b against Ballyhaise alot.Il never forget the Championship semi against yas in 2005,he came about 40 yards off his line that day a few times.
Ferncombe is a serious loss along with a few others but we still had enough quality I felt to win the game,obviously I was wrong.Ah hopefully when all the lads are home for the summer we'l get some serious training done.
The bottom of Division 1 is starting to look very tight.Think ourselves,yourselves,Belturbet,Gowna and Killygarry are all on 4 points.
Lavey bet Mullahoran,Gaels bet Gowna,Ballinagh bet Lacken, cant remember the rest.
I cant get over how well Lavey are doing,we bet them the 1st day and I really thought they'd struggle.They would have to b Championship favourites at this stage??

Homer

A hard fought two points for Ballinagh on Saturday in a hard-hitting but low-scoring victory over neighbours Lacken. Patrick Carroll, Damien McInerney and Paul Galligan were on form for us and Darragh McCarthy also providing a fantastic save to keep us on top. Lacken are flying fit and were somewhat hard won by to leave without a point as they looked the hungrier for most of the game but failed to make it count on the scoreboard. One has to wonder have they peaked a little early in the year.

As for the county scene I heard Rabbitte limped off from a training game and looks unlikely to start next Sunday.  :(

BallyhaiseMan

Id be very wary of Drumgoon for the intermediate Boojangles,

any team with Two Hannons,Keith Fannin,Michael McDonald,Jim McNally and Eddie Jackson along with the Crossans and Paddy McCabe firing on all cylinders would be hard to stop and they seem to be doing well in Division two,

Lavey have started well but the question i have ,is have they peaked too soon,will they have gone stale by the end of july when the championship is in full swing.

shotstopper1

I think this is how the tables stand after w/e games,

Div 1               
   PL   W   D   L   Pts
Cuchullains   7   5   1   1   11
Lacken   7   5   0   2   10
Cavan Gael   6   4   1   1   9
Lavey   7   3   2   2   8
Mullahoran   6   3   1   2   7
Denn   6   3   1   2   7
Ballinagh   6   3   0   3   6
Belturbet   5   2   0   3   4
C'lough   6   2   0   4   4
Killygarry   5   2   0   3   4
Ballyhaise   6   2   0   4   4
Gowna   6   2   0   4   4
Drumalee   6   2   0   4   4
Castlerahan   5   1   0   4   2

Div 2               
   PL   W   D   L   Pts
Killeshandra   7   5   0   2   10
Drumgoon   6   5   0   1   10
Ramor Utd   5   4   1   0   9
Redhills   6   4   1   1   9
Knockbride   6   3   2   1   8
Kingscourt   6   3   1   2   7
Drung   5   2   2   1   6
Cavan Gael   7   3   0   4   6
Cootehill   5   2   0   3   4
Drumlane   6   2   0   4   4
Bailieboro   7   2   0   5   4
Shercock   7   2   0   5   4
Killinkere   6   1   1   4   3
Ballymac   7   1   0   6   2

Div 3               
   PL   W   D   L   Pts
Kill   5   5   0   0   10
Shannon G   7   4   1   2   9
Laragh Utd   6   4   1   1   9
Corlough   7   4   1   2   9
Kildallan   6   4   0   2   8
C'lough   5   3   0   2   6
Arva   6   3   0   3   6
Munitir Con   6   1   3   2   5
Templeport   5   2   1   2   5
B'bridge   5   2   0   3   4
M'gent   7   1   2   4   4
Swanlinbar   6   1   1   4   3
Maghera   6   0   3   3   3
Cornafean   6   0   2   4   2

mylestheslasher

Jaysus - what is going on with Cornafean. As much as I dislike them  ;) I wouldn't like to see the once kingpins of Cavan football disappear into  the reserve leagues.

Lawrence of Knockbride

Such happy banter about the club scene. Time to take it down a notch:

Darren Rabbitte has been ruled out of Cavan's Ulster Senior Football Championship opener against Antrim at Casement Park on Sunday.

Rabbitte only returned to action recently following a cruciate ligament injury but he suffered cartilage damage in a recent challenge win over Meath.

The Breffni County are also expected to be without injured Ray Cullivan.

However, Nicholas Walsh and Anthony Forde are available after recovering from hamstring injuries.

While Rabbitte has suffered a further setback, Cavan's medical staff are confident that the player will be available for the county's next championship game after the Antrim clash.

Veteran Dermot McCabe is expected to start at midfield in Belfast while the Breffni County will be hoping that Seanie Johnston can maintain the fine form that he showed during the National League.

Cavan suffered relegation from Division 2 in the league but they did claim a victory over last year's beaten All-Ireland finalists Cork.

In addition, Cavan lost several tight games - including a one-point defeat by Armagh.

606: DEBATE
Give your Championship predictions

"The only game that we were well-beaten in was the Monaghan match," Cavan PRO Mark Gillick told BBC Sport Interactive.

"But we know that the game in Belfast is a potential banana skin so we won't be taking them lightly at all.

"We beat Meath in a challenge game recently and we played fairly well so we'll reasonably optimistic."

Johnston will be joined in the squad for the Casement Park clash by Martin Cahill and Paul Brady.

All three infuriated manager Donal Keoghan last summer when they opted to head to the US to play club football instead of remaining with the squad during the All-Ireland qualifiers.

At the time, Keoghan vowed never to pick any of the three players again but all three are now back in contention.

"Donal was very disappointed at the time but Cavan needs to have every footballer available and Donal was big enough to go back on what he said to the media last summer and take them back for the good of the county."

So let's get the guessing game started. Who will be called in to replace Rabitte? I'm going to go with Ciaran Brady.