Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lawrence of Knockbride

Seemingly Rabitte played very well for the Gaels last week and no shortage of fitness which was the main worry. Why is he there if he's not fit to play and he's been there since the first McKenna Cup game if that beautifully constructed programme was anything to go by. Myles, I'm not sure you're anti-soccer line was necessary. It sounds like a great opportunity to take in such a game and diving or otherwise I don't think it should be run down.

I reckon Cunningham has done ok at midfield if a little raw. I don't rate Gaffney esp if he's alongside McCabe as he's not much of a runner. Did any of the  U-21s get promoted. I'm thinking Finbar Jordan as he's looked good for years despite his size disadvantage.

BallyhaiseMan

John Cunningham is a good player,but isnt terribely mobile,It might be ok if he were alongside someone like McKenna,but hes alongside someone else who is even slower!!!!!
Disappointed Rabbitte didnt get a start,It would free Podge to play in the half back line(he would be a much better CHB than Forde)

You can virtually pick the team for the championship now anyway

1.Miller
2.M Hannon
3.Podge
4.Brides/Fannin
5.McCutcheon
6.Forde/Flanagan
7.Sheridan
8.McCabe
9.One from Galligan,Cunningham,Mulvey(heard rumours he was off the panel) or Gaffney
10.Martin Reily
11.Lyng/Flanagan
12.McKeever
13.Eddie/Jason
14.Jelly
15.Pierson

BallyhaiseMan

well lads,just back from the Seanie Johnstone show, good performance by the team all round,i didnt think for a second we would hold out for the win,but fair play to the lads, hopefully we have turned a corner now.

1.James Reily, two good saves in the first half,kickouts good,but not alert often enough for the short option,still one of the best in the business. 7

2.Michael Hannon, Outstanding for me, Moved onto Donncha O Connor,after 20 minutes and done a great job on him, holding him to 0-1 from play,even though O Connor was the focal point for all Corks attacks and about 80% of the ball in was targeted towards him. 9

3.Padraig Reily, Destroyed by Donncha O Connor in the first 20 minutes,who scored 4 points from play on him,just didnt have the speed to stay with him, came good after though, and was very solid for the rest of the game. 7

4.Michael Brides,done a good job on Kevin O Sullivan,i had my doubts whether he was still up to it at this level,he proved it tonight. 7

5.John McCutcheon, another one of Keoghans substitutions, the Cootehill man didnt seem to be doing anything wrong, yet was taken off after 25 minutes,Unless he was injured im mystified over it. 6

6.Anthony Forde, Fintan Gould was very prominent for Cork throughout the game, but in fairness Forde done a fair job on him,and got on alot of ball,Passing was erratic at times though. 7

7.Dermot Sheridan, not one of his better games ive seen him play, but was nonetheless fairly solid. 7

8.Dermot McCabe, very good i thought kicked 2 points one from play one from a free, and was at the heart of alot of what was good, sprayed some lovely ball around to the forwards. 8

9.John Cunningham,competed well with Nicholas Murphy, still dont think hes the answer at midfield,but done nothing wrong,theres a place in the team for him in my opinion, and thats wing half back if anything. 7

10.Martin Reily,Got on alot of ball,workrate as ever tremendous,He comes far too deep for my liking,hes one of our better scorers,i would like to see him nearer the goals,Replaced by Lyng in second half. 7

11.Ronan Flanagan, very good game i thought,showed Tremendously,and passing was in the most part first class, ball handling a bit suspect in parts but overall. very good. 8

12.Mark McKeever,he irritates the hell out of me when he holds onto the ball too long drawing tackles from all angles, apart from two passes which went wayward, he was very good, carried the ball well. 8

13.Eddie Reily,Best game ive seen him play for Cavan, you got the usual heart,guts and determination thats never been lacking,but he had a bit of composure about him tonight,made some very good runs,also gave the simple pass instead of trying the impossible points or passes which we've seen from him previously.Very Good. 8

14.Seanie Johnstone, well what can be said, an absolute Masterclass, 9 points in all, 6 from play 3 from frees,they tried Grahanm Canty on him,he scored 4 from play,they tried doubling him, he scored another 2 or 3, They had to resort to playing 3 men on him near the end,He was on fire,Probably the best single individual performance ive seen from a Cavan Player,along with Pierson in Navan a few years ago. 10

15.Ger Pierson,started ok,kicked a good score from play,and won a free,taken off at half time though replaced by Jayo at half time. 7

Subs, Jason Reily,showed well and won some good ball when he came on. 7

Barry Watters,replaced McCutcheon,then got injured and was replaced himself at half time by Rory Dunne. 6

Rory Dunne, not involved much,but done nothing wrong 6

Michael Lyng,very good when he came on,sprayed some lovely ball into the full forward line. 8

Lorcan Mulvey, came on for Cunningham in injury time to waste time.

what we found out tonight is that:

Podge will struggle against really quick full forwards,(although he could have been injured)

Midfield still isnt solved,even though both McCabe and Cunningham had solid games,

we are very poor at picking up the breaks, for periods of 10/15 minutes in the second half, Cork won 5/6 straight breaks from contested kickouts,we dont seem to geared to collect the breaking ball at all.

Seanie Johnstone is on fire, but is going to be a marked man for the rest of the league and championship,
we will need more fscores from the likes of Martin Reily,Flanagan ,McKeever and Eddie and desperately need a fit Pierson.

gortnaleck

Thanks for the report Haiseman.I was listening to Northern Sound and that is tough shit.They would talk about everything but the match.You would never know what part of the field the ball was in until they would interupt one of their stories to say there was another point scored for either team.I am delighted for the lads and that was a good win.Cork could probably have won the All Ireland except their keeper had a mare of a game.Midfield seemed to do OK seeing as Murphy is an All Star. Pity Pierson cant step up.The league results are a fair enough reflection of the team .There not as good as Armagh,could have sneaked a win.Dublin and Monaghan are better than them,Meath are pretty close to them,lost o the day,Cork are better than them but they got a win.By the way the Lock in has been postponed until Sunday night.Seemingly there are League games on Sunday

ExiledGael

Last year's break seems to have done Johnston good, outstanding last night. Unplayable almost.

shotstopper1

w/e results
Div 1

Belturbet   1-8  Mullahoran 1-10
Cuchullains   3-8  Gowna        0-10
Ballyhaise   1-9  Lavey        0-14
Denn   P    Killygarry     P
Lacken   0-7 Castlerahan 1-7
Ballinagh   0-11  Cavan Gaels 0-8
Drumalee    0-4   Crosserlough 1-8

Div 2
Shercock   P  Cavan Gaels  P
Knockbride   P  Ramor Utd    P
Drumgoon   1-10  Kingscourt 1-6
Drung   P      Drumlane  P
Cootehill   0-9   Killeshandra  0-12
Redhills   1-9   Bailieboro     1-2
Ballymachugh  1-14  Killinkere  2-9

Div 3
Arva   P    Crosserlough   P
Corlough   1-8  Cornafean    1-5
Maghera   P    Bultersbridge  P
Swanlinbar   3-6  Shannon Gaels 2-9
Muntirconnacht  P  Kill   P
Kildallan   1-9  Mountnugent  1-7
Laragh Utd.    P   Templeport    P

shotstopper1

Div 1   
   PL   Pts
Cuchullains   3   6
Cavan G    3   4
C'lough   3   4
Lacken   3   4
Mullahoran   3   4
Drumalee   3   4
Lavey   3   3
Ballyhaise   3   2
Ballinagh   3   2
Castlerahan   2   2
Gowna   3   2
Denn   2   1
Belturbet   2   0
Killygarry   2   0

Div 2      
   PL   Pts
Killeshandra   3   6
Ramor Utd   2   4
Redhills   3   4
Killinkere   3   3
Knockbride   2   3
Cavan G   2   2
Cootehill   2   2
Bailieboro   3   2
Ballymac   3   2
Drumgoon   2   2
Drung   1   1
Kingscourt   2   1
Drumlane   2   0
Shercock   2   0

Div 3      
   PL   Pts
Corlough   3   6
Kildallan   3   6
Munitir Con   2   3
Swanlinbar   3   3
B'bridge   2   2
Arva   2   2
C'lough   2   2
Laragh Utd   2   2
Kill   1   2
Templeport   1   1
Shannon G   3   1
M'nugent   3   1
Maghera   2   1
Cornafean   3   0

Hollow Man

QuoteYou can virtually pick the team for the championship now anyway

1.Miller
2.M Hannon
3.Podge
4.Brides/Fannin
5.McCutcheon
6.Forde/Flanagan
7.Sheridan
8.McCabe
9.One from Galligan,Cunningham,Mulvey(heard rumours he was off the panel) or Gaffney
10.Martin Reily
11.Lyng/Flanagan
12.McKeever
13.Eddie/Jason
14.Jelly
15.Pierson

Yeah you're right BH Man, the team is more or less picked. Just any 15 out of that 22 you named there... ::)

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: Hollow Man on March 31, 2008, 01:11:10 PM
QuoteYou can virtually pick the team for the championship now anyway

1.Miller
2.M Hannon
3.Podge
4.Brides/Fannin
5.McCutcheon
6.Forde/Flanagan
7.Sheridan
8.McCabe
10.Martin Reily
11.Lyng/Flanagan
12.McKeever
13.Eddie/Jason
14.Jelly
15.Pierson

Yeah you're right BH Man, the team is more or less picked. Just any 15 out of that 22 you named there... ::)

thats me told so  :D  :D  :D

BallyhaiseMan

AsShotstopper said Lavey beat us 0-14 to 1-09, the less said about it the better  ::)

boojangles

Well what can ya say,we finally seem to have got a bit of luck.I only seen the 2nd half from a bar in Liverpool,didnt even kno Setanta were showing it.From what I seen we had nearly all the ball,the backs seem to do well altho Podge was caught for pace at times.McCabe looked good for most of the 2nd half,didnt see Cunningham at all.I heard he did well enough in the 1st half but BH Man this comment of 'Didnt do anything wrong' kind of annoys me.Its Inter-County football and if he cant do something right then he shouldnt be there.I actually thought we went out of it at midfield for the last 10 minutes and of course Keoghan did nothing except bring on Mulvey with time-up.
Flanagans work-rate was exceptional,I thought Lyng did well when introduced,Him and Jelly always link very well.
What else can be said about Jelly-All the people calling for him to be barred from the county team this year can fairly eat their words,including some people on this board.

shotstopper1

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on March 28, 2008, 04:11:51 PM
im abit suprised Darren Rabbite isnt in the reckoning as hes very fit looking.

Heard Rabbite has quit the county scene for the year,due mainly to his studies.It's a pity, but as far as I could see he was listed on the panel from January but never appeared in any game be it McKenna cup,league or even a challenge.

Johnston came on for the Gaels yesterday (scored 0-1) with his ankle bandaged,hopefully just a precautionary measure.BTW good win for Homers guys.
What's with Lyng not playing with the gaels but playing with the county?

BHM heard a dispute over the taking of a last minute free which would've drawn the game fecked ye up yesterday.The lad who was taking and scoring the frees wasn't let take this one,it was duly put wide and Lavey proceeded up the field to score the insurance point.

Lawrence of Knockbride

What else can be said about Jelly-All the people calling for him to be barred from the county team this year can fairly eat their words,including some people on this board.
[/quote]

Yeah he's no longer an unreliable member of our panel. He couldn't possibly quit again come our possible exit from the Ulster Championship at the first hurdle!! You should have hit backspace the minute you typed that. Johnston is a very good player in a very good run of form but if he quit my team with minimal notice he wouldn't be lining out again anytime soon.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Lawrence of Knockbride on March 31, 2008, 06:38:36 PM

Yeah he's no longer an unreliable member of our panel. He couldn't possibly quit again come our possible exit from the Ulster Championship at the first hurdle!! You should have hit backspace the minute you typed that. Johnston is a very good player in a very good run of form but if he quit my team with minimal notice he wouldn't be lining out again anytime soon.
[/quote]

It was a good win for Cavan on Saturday. Johnstone had an excellent game but he'll need a few more to excuse his behaviour last year. I agree with what Lawrence is saying above as there is still a question mark over his dedication and also what his includion in the panel does to team morale elsewhere - happily there seems to be no backlash from players on that front. It may sound strange to say but what most impressed me about Johnstone was that he eliminated his "greedy" side (i.e. shooting from any angle instead of a simple pass to a better placed team mate) and balanced perfectly the decision making of when to shoot and when to pass. He does owe a great deal to the ball into him from players like McCabe and Lyng, he had nothing to do to win most balls cos they were so accurately placed. As for Keoghan. Part of me want to think that a corner has been turned and the confidence is up and Keoghan is maybe doing a bit better than we thought but then some of his subs were crazy (unless there were injuries that I don't know about.). Pierson was doing ok I thought and was capable of scoring, McCutcheon wasn't too bad and took of. Replaced McCutcheon 10 mins before half time with Waters and then subbed him at half time! If Cork had snuck the game I know what we'd be talking about.

We still have a problem in the middle and I think Cork won 70% from kickout in that area. We have our Half back line to  thank for a lot of turnovers and going forward we were good and used the ball efficiently. Amazingly we have a chance to stay up. W'Meath next have a few key players and if we can neutralise them we could win. Roscommon seem to be in total dissarray and we should have a chance of beating them. It is hard to know if that would be enough given that our score difference is -15. I think our best chance is to catch Cork who have Monaghan at home (Mushroom men to win) and then Armagh away. If we draw level with them we will at least get a play-off as score difference will not apply.

boojangles

I agree with what Lawrence is saying above as there is still a question mark over his dedication and also what his includion in the panel does to team morale elsewhere.

I wasnt on the Board for any of the Chicago 3 episode(I was ironically in America playin Ball myself) and I certainly dont wanna be dragging it back up again but I cant really understand how Myles and Laurence yas can question Johnstons dedication to Cavan.Ok fair enough he went to Chicago to get away for a few months and view some of the world but I know Sean quite well and I know that if every other Cavan player trained and looked after himself as well as Jelly then we would be competing with the big boys in Ulster.Do Cavan supporters expect our county footballers to stay round Cavan until they're 30 something and never venture out until they retire??He was pissed off with the decision of Keoghan to drop him and he took the chance to head Stateside and earn a few pound.I did the same last summer,I came home on the Thursday before our 1st round Championship match and started,Are you saying that I shouldnt b allowed play with my club this year???
There was never a problem with team morale in Tyrone after McGuigan and Hughes came back from Austrailia was there?
The big mistake made was Keoghan sayin they would never play under him again and then going back on his word which made him look like a bigger Idiot.
At least Jelly probably realised he owed the supporters an apology and he his paying us back in the best possible way.Top Scorer in the Naational League so far is a good start I reckon.