Previous topic - Next topic

trim blue

Cavan 2-10 Queens 0-11
I'm sure Ballyhaise will have been there to give us the lowdown and detail
ah sure tog out anyway

BallyhaiseMan

alright lads

Cavan 2-10 Queens 0-11

why in gods name i braved the elements to go into this i do not know.

desperate conditions fairly poor quality game with a few moments of excitement and good play.

Cavan team was

1.James Carolan- Kickouts good,got injured in first half,replaced at half time by Miller 7

2.David Rooney-again quite anonymous for large parts of the game,i know hes a good footballer,but hes not doing himself justice in these games. 6

3.Rory Dunne-The Redhills man made his debut and had a tough time against Armagh county panelist Michael O Rourke who scored 2 points from play,Dunne however stuck at it,got out first to a fair few balls,and was very comfortable in posession.a Very encouraging debut. 8

4.Martin Reily-Man of the match for me,switching back into defence on Queens dangerman Paul McComiskey and marked the Down man well.,just looks so composed at everything he does,a real class act, 9

5.John McCutcheon-The Find of the McKenna Cup,very mobile and got his hands on alot of ball,defended well also,Great workrate.Has definetely played himself into contention for the National League. 8

6.Anthony Forde- was roasted by the very fast number 11 for Queens,didnt look at all fit but improved in the second half. 6

7.Barry Watters- Another great Find,Very Good going forward like we seen against Monaghan,but defended very well tonight.I think its a year too soon for him,but who knows,Is going to be a key player for the under 21's AT LEAST. 8

8.Lorcan Mulvey-played in fits and starts,not very fit looking,but a bit lighter looking than last year which is good, competed well with Charlie Vernon,Caught one or two balls and drove forward at times.7

9.Mark McKeever-outsanding for the third game in a row,Workrate is outstanding and gets his hands on an obscene amount of ball,has really stepped up into the Captains role by the look of it. 8

10.Austin Fitzpatrick-The Killeshandra man didnt exactly get a lot of time to impress, was taken off after about 12-15 minutes and replaced by James Clarke,wasnt in the game at all,but giving players only a few minutes to impress is ridiculous. 6

11.Rory Donohoe-Not impressive at all,holds onto the ball too long,doesnt have great feet,Not the answer at Centre Forward. 6

12.Alan Clarke-Again not terribely impressive,worked hard though,things just didnt go his way. 6

13.Finbar Reily- Accurate scored 3 points,workrate good,suffered from Queens crowding the backs,Good return to competitive inter county action though. 7

14.Eddie Reily--Workrate as usual outstanding,scored 3 points,kicked a few wide,needs to learn how to make the telling pass. 7

15.Jason Reily-scored the opening goal in the first half,but not sure he touched the ball after that,very very quiet by his standards. 6

Subs

Declan Gaffney for Mulvey--caught  a good ball and threw his weight around when he came on near the end.

James Clarke- we criticse him on here,but he played very well,kicking two points from play,sometimes he doesnt know what to do with the ball,and gets caught in two minds,leading to overcarrying and wasted possesion,he can be frustrating to watch. 8

John McCabe for Alan Clarke--didnt see any of the ball really

Damien Reily for???- think thats one of the under 21's who came on near the end,hes from either Belturbet or Killeshandra? not sure

James Reily--Kickouts not what they will be in May,didnt have anything to do. 6

Dunne,Martin Reily,McCutcheon,Watters were the bright spots
would have liked to see Mulvey and Gaffney at Centre field-dont know why hes persisting with McKeever there,hes not big enough.
hopefully we will have another game now.
The old enemy could do us a favour tommorow and beat Antrim.

mylestheslasher

Thanks for that BHM. Didn't make the game but was talking to a few lads that did from home and they pretty much agreed with you on everything there. They, like me, were dissapointed in the treatment of Austin Fitz. After the Antrim game he was told he made a big impact when introduced so he was given a start today. The lads reckon he wasn't in it much but he didn't make any f**k ups or anything so why not give him half a match at least instead of takling him off after 15 minutes?? Now you have a player who has good potential but probably low confidence. Sometimes you would wonder if Keoghan has any brains at all. Speaking of early subs, was pierson togged out for any of these games in McKenna cup after his 1 minute substitution vrs Fermanagh in that challenge.

BallyhaiseMan

disgraceful treatment of Fitzpatrick Myles, you just dont do that to young players who are trying to find their way,That sort of shite has the potential to ruin his confidence. Didnt see Pierson at the game, fairly sure he wasnt among the subs.Was in the stand.

Hollow Man

Austin Fitz got one ball and kicked wide, don't know why he was taken off

Mulvey was anonymous I thought, 0 out of ten

McCutcheon was good again, Martin Reilly outstanding - hopefully he can keep the form he has shown this winter going all year

Watters looks sharp but I can't see him making a place, a few lads like Flanagan, Sheridan, Fannin and Hannon to come back in the backs, all should start. Rabbitt also in contention so Watters will have his work cut out, one for the future though without doubt

Eddie isn't effective at full forward at county level, won't make the cut from what I've seen in this McKenna Cup

Finbar started well and was quite good overall

Dunne was impressive at full back, lost his man a couple of times but overall got stuck in and did well

BallyhaiseMan

HollowMan

i think Eddie would be more effective out at wing forward,
The Half forward line was non existant with the exception of  James Clarke.Need some agression in there.

anglocelt39

Happy new year and a special shout to the likes of Haise Man, Homer and others for very informative postings, match reports etc, keep it up lads. Very poor treatment of that Fitz lad last night but still doesn't beat the daddy of them all a few years ago in a match against Wicklow during Marty Mac's reign. Eugene Kiernan was brought on as a sub, went for one ball, fumbled it and was replaced two minutes later by Larry Reilly.................not surprisingly the lad has neen nowhere near the team since.

I've heard no mention of one name that I think is vital to our league campaign-Sean Brady of Castlerahan. Any info?????? we need the lad available
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

cavanmaniac

I'd say he plays with whatever college he goes to in Dublin ac39, and will likely be back with the panel later.

It sounds like we're unearthing a few options anyway, how well they'll do when the real stuff starts remains to be seen but until then they're worth their go.

I'm more curious about the role of Keoghan's new wet nurse right hand man, I can't even remember his name but is there any evident change in our style of play/tactics and so on?

trim blue

sean brady is finished college as far as I know so I presume he is injured at present
ah sure tog out anyway

mylestheslasher

Indeed fair play to the mushroom pickers - as long as they don't expect us to do them any favours I'll be happy ;) From what I am told Keoghan is the only presence on the line for cavan at the McKenna cup games, no sign of the new trainer from Tyrone (who's name I can't remember right now). So does that mean we are through to the semi? I suppose if Antrim absolutley hammer Queens they might get ahead on score difference.

Blue06

I reckon we should be through now.  Queens would have to beat Antrim by 12 points to overtake us OR Antrim would have to beat Queens by 15 pts to do so.
Even so we would probably get through as best runner up.

Braved the elements myself last night and given the conditions I thought we got a decent enough match.

Re Austin Fitzpatrick

I noticed him getting hurt during the warm up, missed a simple chance in front of the posts and was beat handily to a couple of balls. 
First time seeing the lad play so I can't really comment but he did get a knock during the warm up which would not have helped him.

Agree with the general consensus on who played well. 

Homer

Satisfactory rather than impressive performance on Saturday night in tough conditions. I'll just bang out a few comments.

Martin Reilly was tremendous at corner back on young Comiskey, posters will remember him the Down speed merchant that broke our hearts last year by leveling the Breffni tie with the last kick of the game. Reilly really snuffed him out of everything also some fine fielding and never failed in picking out a pass when coming out with the ball. In fairness I give Keoghan a hard enough time so I must commend him for getting this move right.

Rory Dunne gave a good game at full-back and looks promising but one must take the performance with a pinch of salt as the fella he was marking was only a couple of years older than himself and of similar stature so it's more encouraging from an u21 point of view.

Barry Watters for a young lad he is just brimming with confidence, his poor marker(s) didn't get a chance to think about making an attack as they were just fecked from chasing after him.

Forde was farily poor at CHB fouled a lot and doesn't seem to have given up giving out to referees for new years. Did well when in possession though.

Lorcan Mulvey will need lots of games to regain any match fitness as at the moment he has none.

McKeever once again excellent. Covers on unbelievable amount of ground and always seems to be on the ball.

Austin Fitz seemed to pick up some injury in the warm-up alright. Scorned one opportunity but I must agree the substitution did seem a bit harsh and will do the lads confidence no favours.

Rory Donohoe didn't do anything to change my opinion from the Monaghan game. The CHF needs to be the playmaker up front and Donohoe simply isn't a forward.

I'd agree with the rest of the comments on the others.

All in all encouraging stuff from some from the young guns and a result that might secure us a semi-final spot.

North Longford

Lads its interesting reading the comments here after listening to Phelim Plunkett on Sha side No Sound last night.
What stands out most is his ascertation that Anthony Forde and Lorcan Mulvey were immense and totally dominated that area of the field?? That would seem to diifer quite significantly with what I'm reading up above??

cavan4ever

Quote from: North Longford on January 15, 2008, 08:50:05 AM
Lads its interesting reading the comments here after listening to Phelim Plunkett on Sha side No Sound last night.
What stands out most is his ascertation that Anthony Forde and Lorcan Mulvey were immense and totally dominated that area of the field?? That would seem to diifer quite significantly with what I'm reading up above??

I was thinking to myself after the game that Forde wouldn't get his place when the college lads and injured players come back.  I though mulvey did o.k he didn't dominate though.

mylestheslasher

Northern Sound is a bit like the Anglo Celt. Some boy who know sweet FA just names a couple of guys he recognised on the field as being the key men. Anthony Forde hasn't played a good game for Cavan in a long time - in fact he is too busy fouling and moaning to worry about the ball.  Mulvey is "immensce" alright (i.e. as in large) , he was fairly emmence 1st day out in the championship last year too. The Celt and Northern Sound are like two dinosaurs and personally I ignore the crap both of them come out with.