Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Homer

Quote from: anglocelt39 on September 07, 2007, 10:42:09 AM
Why are you keen to see him miss the semi-final?

Possibly conveyed myself incorrectly there. What I meant was that his performance on Sunday night was impressive enough that a Ballinagh man like myself might prefer to take on Bailieborough without his like, not so much that I'm immorally glad he's injured.

Can't see Grimley returning or being welcomed back by the county board. Unless the players express their willingness for him to return, but I haven't heard anything that would suggest they would.

One more player that should get a run with the seniors next year is Alan Clarke of Kingscourt. Was out most of this year due to injury. A very strong and smart footballer, would be excellent addition.

anglocelt39

Sorry Homer, had not woken up on that one, thought it was a different poster. Anyway, looks like ye are hot favourites on weekend.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

Homer

Quote from: anglocelt39 on September 07, 2007, 12:42:22 PM
Sorry Homer, had not woken up on that one, thought it was a different poster. Anyway, looks like ye are hot favourites on weekend.

No worries ac39, wasn't just sure if it was aimed at me either but thought I should clarify just in case.

I'd admit we're favorites next weekend but definitely not hot favorites. Lone Shark would be wise to keep the odds on the short side for Bailieborough.

Sad day for cavan4ever. Drung were relegated tonight  :o. Beaten by Killinkere and now find themselves playing junior football next year.

Homer

Mullahoran beat Kingscourt by four points, Kingscourt and numerous chances at the death including an effort of the crossbar.

Third time lucky for Lavey as they defeated Intermediate favorites Drumgoon again by four points. Leaves it very wide open now.

CC1

I see Killeshandra are now in the junior final. Puts into perspective what we might have achieved this year...  :-[

If they win, which I think they will, that will mean that we have beaten the Junior champions in the championship for two years running yet fail to do it ourselves. Makes me think that maybe we would be better off going the scenic route... If we had done we wouldn't have had to deal with this whole "Bulmers 5" situation, and could have built up a bit of momentum coming up to the quarters. Any thoughts?

Yes, yes I am still feeling sorry for myself...  ;D
"Hey, don't worry; don't be afraid, ever, because this is just a ride."

mylestheslasher

Quote from: CC1 on September 10, 2007, 08:47:51 AM
I see Killeshandra are now in the junior final. Puts into perspective what we might have achieved this year...  :-[

If they win, which I think they will, that will mean that we have beaten the Junior champions in the championship for two years running yet fail to do it ourselves. Makes me think that maybe we would be better off going the scenic route... If we had done we wouldn't have had to deal with this whole "Bulmers 5" situation, and could have built up a bit of momentum coming up to the quarters. Any thoughts?

Yes, yes I am still feeling sorry for myself...  ;D

It was a great win for the Leaguers yesterday against the age old rivals Cornafaen. I think, barring a serious bout of complacency, they should be too good for Shannon Gaels. As regards to potential county players from Killeshandra - I would suggest the following...

Potential Call Ups for next yrs McKenna Cup..

Austin Fitzpatrick - Austin is 20, big strong lad. Can play Ctr back or Ctr forward. Was once on minor panel but wasn't that bothered about it. I think he is more mature now and might just be able for the commitment.
Colm Duffy - Colm is 25 I think. He is a big lad who was away travelling last year. Was an excellent FB but has recently been playing at midfield.

Future Call up's 2 yrs away

Declan McKiernan - Excellent footballer but needs to bulk up a bit - would be a crime to throw him in to early. He is a creative scoring midfielder/Ctr Forward. Would give 100% commitment to the county I reckon. A County minor again this yr.
Thomais Reilly - Big strong lad and a county minor again this yr.
Daragh Tighe - Tenacious Back, will probably make county minors this yr.

It is hard to know how these lads would cope with the step up in class as all we are use to seeing them against are junior teams. I'd like to see them get a chance though.

Hollow Man

Colm Duffy is 23 this year

I'm 99% sure Declan McKiernan isn't minor next year agin, sure he's going into second eyar in college

Duffy was class underage but had a bad knee and wasn't that quick as far as I can remember

McKiernan looks like he will be a county player in a year or two, definitely

I'd say Shannon Gaels have some county standard players, but the clubs "way out west" don't usualy get noticed

cavan4ever

Quote from: Homer on September 07, 2007, 11:30:14 PM
Quote from: anglocelt39 on September 07, 2007, 12:42:22 PM

Sad day for cavan4ever. Drung were relegated tonight  :o. Beaten by Killinkere and now find themselves playing junior football next year.

Didn't get to the game but im not suprised and the team manager has a lot to answer for.    Drumlane who we drew with and then lost replay to are in the semi-final and i wouldn't rate them any better than us.  It won't be easy to get out of Junior either as CC1 knows all to well.

BallyhaiseMan

Ridiculous Drung getting relegated from Intermediate,Players should have been far too good to get beaten by some of the teams they did.
who is the manager C4ever?
i could have managed Drung and not got them relegated FFS.

cavan4ever

One of Keoghans side kicks i reckon u kno BHman.  He hasn't a clue how to manage a team, he is a good trainer but that is all he should be doing.  He lost us at least one intermediate final and now he has gotten us relegated.  He is way to slow to make changes, pick's players who are playing poor and leaves them on all the game even though they might not get a touch of the ball (which im told happened the other evening) .  One of the players told me that the best way to get on the team is to not turn up to training for a few weeks.  Can't blame him for everything though players away on holidays at vital times had a lot to do with it aswell.

Kentucky Blue

Greetings, just wondering if anyone could give me a brief summary about how cavan gaels are going this year? and their prospects for the championship?

BallyhaiseMan

ah him,

it will be a struggle in Junior next year,but if all your lads put in the effort,id imagine you would be strong favourites.

Kentucky Blue

welcome to the board.

Cavan Gaels are as usual flying this year,

beat Gowna after a replay in first round, then beat Ramor convincingly

now Play Belturbet in the semi final,anything other than a Gaels win would be the biggest shock in the history of Cavan Football.

Then they play the winners of Gowna/Mullahoran in the final,
that in contrast will be a dogfight for the Gaels whoever they are playing.

They have been flying in the leage as well,Giving out some awful trashings,
To my club earlier this year aswell im afraid  :-[

Kentucky Blue

Thanks BallyhaiseMan, you're a gentleman. All questions answered and beyond!   :)

cavan4ever

I see Cavan have a new assistant Manager some Sheridan fella from Tyrone.  I wonder does he know what he's getting himself into..

Homer

Cavan Co. Board appoint new senior team trainer and coach
12 September 2007

In recent days the Cavan Co. Board has announced the appointment of a new senior county team trainer and coach to succeed Paul Grimley. The 'new man' is Conal Sheridan, a 34 year-old PE teacher, and a member of the St. Enda's club in Co. Tyrone.

Conal who is a schoolteacher in Irvinestown in Co. Fermanagh is well-known in coaching and training circles throughout the province, and was assistant to Charlie Mulgrew the former Fermanagh county team boss over the last two years.

He has also been involved in coaching a number of clubs, and achieved success at this level with the Gweedore club in County Donegal, who won senior championship honours last season. He comes highly recommended to the Cavan Co. Board and a man with new ideas and fresh training methods could just what is needed as the Cavan team-management start their preparations for the new season in the weeks ahead.

http://www.hoganstand.com/Cavan/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=83252

Have to say I've never heard of him  ??? Maybe the Tyrone and Fermanagh boys might be able to shine some light on him.