Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ollie

Disappointing performance the other night. Terry seems set in his ways by continuing to play the same brand of football which has won us nothing in the last two years. I know there was only a point in it at the end but Derry were the more dominant team throughout. They're physicality and inter-linking play was too much for our team to cope with. I lost count at the amount of times either, Mackey, M Reilly or K Clarke carried the ball up the field but had no options to left or right of them to continue the attack. Derrys swarm defence was too much to deal with. We're in a relegation battle now and its going to be a tough to keep Div 2 status.   

cavan4sam

I agree with a lot of what you say Ollie. We had a significant breeze to our backs in the first half yet we didn't push up on Derry until around 22 minutes which was too late. Up to that point we only had 2 players in the Derry half.

We need to learn how to transition our defence into attack better and also we need to start kicking point from long distances. It seems we need to inside 30 meters before we have a shot for a point. Take Roscommon yesterday for example, some of the points they kicked against Kerry were excellent and from around 45 meters. If you can kick scores from that range it saves a some of the energy required to work the ball into a scoring position in the more congested areas in front of goal.

I've no idea why the players were going for a goal in the last minutes. Pop the ball over the bar, level the match and see what happens from the next play, if there is one. A draw would have been a good result as Derry were the better team on the night. We have played the 2 teams that came down from Division 1 and not been blown away. At the moment they look like they will be the 2 to go back up. As Ollie says we are now in a relegation battle but I think we should be good enough to pick up enough points to remain in Division 2.

Ollie

If we don't pick up points away to Meath then we're in serious trouble. Fermanagh Armagh, Laois, Galway are all beatable but we'd need to win 4 out of the five remaining games. On the evidence of the last two games that's a big ask.

The most frustrating part is that I think its the strongest panel we've had in a few years. They're just being held back by one dimensional, non-creative tactics.

Also, €15 into a league game? a little steep!

cavan4sam

Only €10 if you buy your ticket the day before

Westside

Am I the only one who thinks this notion that we are underperforming and that Hyland is holding the players back is an absolute load of bullshit? I see it peddled so much on HS and now I see it on here and I'm beginning to doubt myself.

beer baron

Quote from: Westside on February 08, 2016, 06:16:07 PM
Am I the only one who thinks this notion that we are underperforming and that Hyland is holding the players back is an absolute load of bullshit? I see it peddled so much on HS and now I see it on here and I'm beginning to doubt myself.

I think people think about them under 21 titles and presume we had a number of superstars in them sides.  Thing is most of them wins were thanks largely to the defensive set up and well drilled hard working sides and not that we had superior footballers to the other sides.

Denn Forever

How gSean Johnson? oes the rehablition of Is he getting a fair outing ?  Don't think he is great sub as he provides little impact?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

mrdeeds

Made a good impact of the bench versus Wicklow few years back.

Itchy

Quote from: Denn Forever on February 21, 2016, 03:42:36 PM
How gSean Johnson? oes the rehablition of Is he getting a fair outing ?  Don't think he is great sub as he provides little impact?

He's played roughly 20 mins in total. Got 1 point from a 20m free, got 1 yellow and 1 black card. Granted he's probably not up to speed yet.

Denn Forever

Team for tomorrow.  Mcecaybe to introduction of Johnson will force us to ease up a little on our Ultra defensiveness.

Team in Full:
1. Raymond Galligan (Lacken)
2. Padraig Faulkner (Kingscourt)
3. Killian Clarke (Shercock)
4. Jason McLoughlin (Shannon Gaels)
5. Ciarán Brady (Arvagh)
6. Conor Moynagh (Drumgoon)
7. Feargal Flanagan (Butlersbridge)
8. Tomas Corr (Denn)
9. David Givney (Mountnugent)
10. Dara McVeety (Crosserlough)
11. Gearoid McKiernan (Swanlinbar)
12. Martin Reilly (Killygarry)
13. Cian Mackey (Castlerahan)
14. Michael Argue (Bailieborough)
15. Sean Johnston (Cavan Gaels
means what he says...

Denn Forever

Another tough one on Sunday.  Will Johnson be on from the start as I can see him being singled out for special attention.  Some great romances over shadowed by him  top scoring  e.g.  Moynagh, Falkner, the other Cavan Gaels sub. (based on Notthern Sound commentary)

means what he says...

Ollie

Good all round team performance in the second half. Great to see that the team is improving match by match. I'd fancy them to get a win against Armagh at home but it won't be easy. Keeping discipline will be key in this game.

Itchy

Armagh are a bunch of thugs, they will want the game to descend into a war. The strength of the referee might be the telling factor in this one.

cavan4sam

Terry Hyland & Cavan team management have announced the starting fifteen to line out against Armagh this Saturday in Allianz Football League Round 4. Throw in is 7pm in Kingspan Breffni Park.

Liam Buchanan makes his league debut and lines out at midfield. David Givney moves to the full forward line. The only other change from the team who played in Navan last week sees Killian Brady coming in for Feargal Flanagan at wing half back.
Team in Full:
1. Raymond Galligan (Lacken)
2. Padraig Faulkner (Kingscourt)
3. Killian Clarke (Shercock)
4. Jason McLoughlin (Shannon Gaels)
5. Ciarán Brady (Arvagh)
6. Conor Moynagh (Drumgoon)
7. Killian Brady (Mullahoran)
8. Tomas Corr (Denn)
9. Liam Buchanan (Ballymachugh)
10. Dara McVeety (Crosserlough)
11. Gearoid McKiernan (Swanlinbar)
12. Martin Reilly (Killygarry)
13. David Givney (Mountnugent)
14. Michael Argue (Bailieborough)
15. Sean Johnston (Cavan Gaels)

Duckquay

Will be interesting to see what way we set up looking at that team. Armagh were wiped out at midfield last weekend, I'd expect one of argue or givney to be out around the middle at varying stages.
A big man inside will mean vernon will be forced to sit and mind the house, Armagh could really do with him further out the field. I'd expect a win by 3 plus.