Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

comeysfield

Not sure Terry will just go and I doubt anybody  in county board will push him. Anyway I think Larry Reilly looked fitter last Sunday than the last time he played for Cavan. Maybe we should just start a bring back Larry campaign 

rodney trotter

Peter Reilly had good forwards this year I thought at u21 level,in Madden and Hayes. Ryan Connolly couldn't make the team. They were good forwards for that level anyway.
Last year he only used Enda Hessin as a impact sub. Hessin was the best player in the Intermediate Championship last year, and one of the best the year before too.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: rodney trotter on May 27, 2015, 08:15:18 PM
Peter Reilly had good forwards this year I thought at u21 level,in Madden and Hayes. Ryan Connolly couldn't make the team. They were good forwards for that level anyway.
Last year he only used Enda Hessin as a impact sub. Hessin was the best player in the Intermediate Championship last year, and one of the best the year before too.

Hayes in his first year at U21 and Madden is a good player but questions over his commitment and consistency. He didnt make the team the previous year and he is not on the senior panel. Hessin is good for sure, I can only imagine Peter was expecting a blanket defense against Donegal and left him off because of it. Hessin not on senior panel either this year. What I mean is there is no Paddy McBrearty or Enda Smith in Peter Reillys pick so he cut his cloth to measure.

comeysfield

right now in Cavan we do not have an outstanding physical scoring forward that can win ball and deliver at this level. Changing the manager will not make a forward the approach still has to be that we will need to out work teams. Looking at the pool we have drawn a run in the qualifiers is not out of the question. Time to keep the faith look at diagonal ball to the bailieborough man. Somehow we have to get a lot more out of Gearoid and go and win a few games

mylestheslasher

As daft as it might sound I only watched my recording of the match last night, since I was unable to attend this was my first viewing. Obviously I have read quite a bit about the match on here and indeed on the other ridiculous forum on hoganstand. I think Ray Galligan did very well apart from the frees at the end which carried huge pressure for a championship debutant playing in an unfamiliar position in some ways. I think the referree gave a lot of soft frees to both teams but without doubt Cavan got a rougher deal than Monaghan. One that stands out is a blatant push on McVitty which should have been a scorable free when we were 4 points up. Monaghan will point to the Moan penalty but for me there was minimal contact and i am fairly sure Moan could have stood up but went looking for a foul. A lot of people say Argue inside worked, not for me I'm afraid. Cavan put in 10-12 balls, we got two/three scores from them. Some of the passes were dire and often Argue was against two or three players. There did not seem to be another option inside. McDermott solid on frees but again he is not at his best inside, ball hasn't really be sticking to him and he is bringing it into contact needlessly. McEnroe substitution was strange. I head celt podcast and they said he was on a last warning but he had not committed a foul just before being replaced so I dont really understand that. His last play was a free and he seemed slow to get up so perhaps injury or lack of fitness was the problem. He certainly was a big strong player going off. Martin Reilly was rightly black carded. At the end of the day I think when Monaghan brought on the old heads they just grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck and drove on and I'd give them credit for that rather than attack the Cavan management. For me Hyland got most calls right and was so close to victory. The good news is that there is sweet FA between Cavan and Monaghan ability wise as far as I am concerned and if they are capable of Div 1 then so are Cavan. The glaring problem is the forwards and lack of them. That brings me to my next point. I see over on Hoganstand, where any imbecile with a laptop may post, people are blaming Hyland for the players that would not commit this year. I turn this on its head and I wonder if Keating especially had of committed could we have made an ulster final, yes I think. So does Keating need to have a look in the mirror and take responsibility for his part? I think so. If he didnt commit because Hyland is the manager (thats a big if) then he deserves to be left where he is next year too.

Finally I've thought about Hyland in charge next year. I would be ok with that. I still think that a new voice would be welcome but we need the right men available to take over. We do not want mcHale and personally I want the role kept within the county. Danny Brady, Larry, Peter Reilly, Ronan Carolan etc are potentials but another year under Terry would give those fellas a chance to advance with their current teams for one more year.

Denn Forever

Was McEnroe not on a yellow card when he was subbed?  No wiggleroom left.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Denn Forever on June 01, 2015, 04:16:02 PM
Was McEnroe not on a yellow card when he was subbed?  No wiggleroom left.

Oh he definitely was on a yellow but he got that in the 1st half. What I am wondering is why he was subbed 5 minutes into the 2nd half without having been involved in any foul as far as I could see. If the ref had told him he was on a last chance then that would have been in the 1st half and so they could have taken him off at half time. That explanation doesn't stack up for me but its possible I missed something that happened off the ball as I was only watching on the TV.

Old yeller

I was crying out for McEnroe to be taken off because it looked a cert that he wouldn't last the whole game without another card. It probably doesn't show up as much on TV as you say. I was hoping for McKeever to come on instead of him, we needed that extra bit of experience

Old yeller

Who should we be hoping to get in the qualifiers?

rodney trotter

Keating didn't get along with Anthony Forde. It would be no harm if forde isn't involved in a future managment set up at County level.

London away in Ruislip

tierworker blue

The game in London is confirmed for the 20th in Ruislip, at 2pm folks.

Western Blue

Michael Argue for the States, can anyone confirm. Mentioned at last week-end match between Shercock /Bailieborough.

Westside

Wouldnt surprise me. Lots of this years U21s have gone.