Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anglocelt39

Quote from: CC1 on August 21, 2007, 09:25:16 AM
Quote from: Homer on August 21, 2007, 08:55:37 AM
Quote from: CC1 on August 21, 2007, 07:56:44 AM
Quote from: gortnaleck on August 21, 2007, 04:05:41 AM
CC1   Is Liam Og a son of Packy's
Son of Plunkett O'Reilly gortnaleck, Mickey Reilly is a son of Packy (I think... There's three of them!). They're related I think. Tom O'Reilly would be their uncle, if any of you remember him from his Cavan days.

There were two Tom O'Reillys in the 1930s. Big Tom and Tom O'Reilly Mullahoran. Which one do you refer to?

Tom O Reilly from Shercock-would have emigrated to New York in the late 60's early 70's and was in the pub game over there. A son of Plunkett would be handy enough at the ball all right-his Uncles would be Gerry and Joe-two good ball players and hardy lads to boot, played minor football in partnership with the Shamrocks when the clubs were merged at underage level in the mid-late 70's. As was the unfortunate trend at the time Joe headed off to Canada at a very young age-was a right hardy bucko the same boy. Brendan Carolan from the Shamrocks was another lad from that team that was lost to the emigrant boat, Mickey McEntee from Shercock also left but I think he's back now. Think Brendan is coaching GAA in Birmingham. Good players, big losses as was the trend at the time

Also I doubt theres anybody on this board that would have seen either of them playing.
Tom O'Reilly from Shercock, he played for Cavan too and was quite a good player at that.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

cavanmaniac

My ould fella was ironically telling a story at the weekend about Tom O'Reilly. He was watching the Meath match and was recalling one of the Royal's legendary hatchet men of yore, a guy called Red Collier who I've heard from numerous people was a filthy player. Apparently he buckled a gifted midfielder from Cork in an All-Ireland final, rushing in underneath him and turning him in the air as he jumped for a high ball and taking him to the ground at an awkward angle and breaking his collarbone.

Anyway, apparently Cavan played Meath in a Grounds Tournament match some time later and Collier gave Tom O'Reilly a belt of some description. The next thing, Collier takes off like a hare to get away and Tom tore off after him and caught him with a box on the side of the head and crumpled him. Collier was carted off in a daze and my father reckons it was the only time he saw the Meathman get his well-deserved comeuppance on the football field.

I'm sure Meath history has a different picture of both players but sure borders alter perceptions and all that. ;)

mylestheslasher

I heard a rumour that Mickey Graham has got the minor job. Good luck to him I say - probably the best man for the job. Hearing mixed info on Grimleys position. The armagh gang seem to think he won't get the job but I am hearing in Cavan that he is taking it. I can't see how keoghan will stay on his own if Grimley goes and I also can't see how he can bring someone else in as it basically would show that he hasn't a clue - as most Cavan people know.

cavan4ever

Quote from: mylestheslasher on August 21, 2007, 04:40:11 PM
I heard a rumour that Mickey Graham has got the minor job. Good luck to him I say - probably the best man for the job. Hearing mixed info on Grimleys position. The armagh gang seem to think he won't get the job but I am hearing in Cavan that he is taking it. I can't see how keoghan will stay on his own if Grimley goes and I also can't see how he can bring someone else in as it basically would show that he hasn't a clue - as most Cavan people know.

Thats good about Mickey Graham anway.    I dunno if Grimley was much addition anyway but maybe it was just the players he had to work with.

Killygarrylady

Hi All, Just want to let ye all know Killygarry Ladies are hosting a:

TV Table Quiz
Think you know your soaps and TV?
Greys Anatomy Addict? Never missed an episode of Glenroe?  The ultimate Simpsons fan?
..... The OC, A-Team, Father Ted, Fair City, Prison BreaK, Home & Away, Flying Doctors, Doctor Who, Corrie, Eastenders ...
... We have it all!!! So come & test your Knowledge
In
The Kesh Bar
Thurs August 30th 2007
@ 8pm   - €40 per Table
Prizes Galore

Everybody Welcome! Your support will be much appreciated! :) ;D

Thanks

Smokin Joe

Quote from: cavan4ever on August 21, 2007, 04:43:49 PM
  I dunno if Grimley was much addition anyway but maybe it was just the players he had to work with.

Is that the general thinking down in Cavan, that Grimley didn't add much to the set up this year?

mylestheslasher

Smokin Joe, I think you will find out soon enough how good he is as I have heard yet again from a reliable source that Grimley is gone from Cavan - I expect that means he is going to manage Armagh. I have no idea where Cavan go from here - Mickey promote Mickey graham to senior manager too???

cavanmaniac

Well Grimley talked the usual talk about the players "giving it their all and training hard all year" and then we saw the usual number of unfit porkers huffing and puffing their way about the field against Down. I see today's paper says he has handed in his notice to the Cavan county board so where that leaves Keogan and the county team I don't know.

In mitigation, I would say he probably got nowhere near the same level of commitment and dedication out of the Cavan world-owes-me-a-living-I'm-a-countyman-so-I-don't have-do-the-work lead-swingers that he got in Armagh as a given. The players that put it in this year looked fit and decent enough, those who think they're too big to to have to descend to such lows as actual training and what not, they looked badly off the pace. Team fighting spirit on the pitch was well up on previous years as well.

Overall, he was hardly a raging success but some of that can be put down to the players. The fact is, the county board keeps trying to address the senior team's problems with its managerial appointments, when in reality the difficulties are more fundamental - there's no pride among playes in playing for the county any more, too many egos got away with too much for too long, nobody wants to work like the Monaghans of this world and nobody wants to take the long term view and start from scratch by disbanding the panel and starting again with 30 players who have signed up to a code of conduct or whatever, hence we're continually adhering to the same patterns with seriously diminishing returns.

I read in a yearbook that the new county chairman is committed to targeting underage sides and in particular their brittle mentality and smaller physique, by taking some of the methods of other Ulster sides. Has to be a start if it happens.

Homer

It's in the indo today. Grimley's resignation as Cavan coach and imminent appointment as new Armagh manager.

(EDIT - maniac beat me to it)

Mickey Graham's new appointment is also mentioned. An excellent choice IMO. I take it Niall Lynch will be his number 2 then?

I can't see Keoghan being able to find anyone that would justify him another year at the helm.

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: Homer on August 21, 2007, 10:36:46 AM
Quote from: cavan4ever on August 21, 2007, 09:56:11 AM
So Homer do u think you will finally win intermediate this year?

Hmmm, we seem to be improving slightly so maybe coming good at the right time cavan4ever.

We're playing Cootehill in the park on Friday night. Anytime we have played them in the past its been fairly physical so we mightn't be too bad off having Gaynor in the stand. They have a few decent players in McCutcheon and young Smith. The big pitch will presumably suit Ballinagh more as I fell we will be fitter. Head on the line, Ballinagh by 5.

Personally I have to say Drumgoon are the team to beat this year.

What happened to Drung against Swad cavan4ever?

What does the HaiseMan think about their own aspirations?

we have either Swad or Baileborough Friday week in Breffini,

will be tough seeing as they will have played 3 games since we last played,but id fancy us to come through.

Agree, Drumgoon are the team to beat followed by ourselves and yous(the last two in no particular order btw  ;) )

BallyhaiseMan

Best of luck to Paul Grimley,cant blame him for going to work with players with a professional attitude afterall.

Who will Keoghan get as his assistant i wonder,

Im fairly sure he will stay though lads.

cavanmaniac

Lord only knows what will happen now.

Keogan might see this as a good opportunity to get out after realising the enormity of the challenge facing him, explain it away with "me and Paul were a team, I won't continue without him etc."

We also have to consider how much Grimley's presence on the ticket swung the job for Keogan in the first place, will they get rid and give Keogan no say in his destiny at all?
Or will Keogan's financial input/sponsorships save him?

If he is to stay he'll have to bring in someone with a big coaching reputation that's for sure, if he takes it on himself I'm never going to a Cavan game again! He might look inside the county, you'd enver know.

All's up in the air again, between Eamon's illness and Marty taking over and eventual defection, to this, it's been a long period of flux for Cavan.

BallyhaiseMan

Maniac

Keoghan isnt a recognised trainer and wouldnt be accepted by the our pre madonna's

Remember the fuss they kicked up over Liam Austin/Hugo Clerkin that the training wasnt good enough.

as if they would do the training anyway  :D

expect an appointment of someone within a few weeks id say.

mylestheslasher

Well if he is not a trainer (as in tactics etc) and he's not a physical trainer then what the f**k is Keoghan there for. I don't like  this changing of the manager every year craic but this guy is a fool who doesn't command respect from anyone. He does not lead by example, knows Sweet FA about football and has no past form as a decent manager. He commands no respect from anyone that knows anything about football. Strip away the people he gathered around him and you are left with nothing. He won't quit himself but I'd like to see him given the door.

Unfortunatley I don't know who could take over from him. Possibly Peter Forde? Who would want to take over is the question.

cavan4ever

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on August 22, 2007, 01:38:11 PM
Maniac

Keoghan isnt a recognised trainer and wouldnt be accepted by the our pre madonna's

Remember the fuss they kicked up over Liam Austin/Hugo Clerkin that the training wasnt good enough.

as if they would do the training anyway  :D

expect an appointment of someone within a few weeks id say.

He is hardly a recognised manager either .  He had a few catchphrase's to shout during a game from the line and grimley seemed to do everything else.