Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mylestheslasher

I owe herself a lot of Brownie points after making the trip to Salthill on Mothers day! However, it was worth it as this was a massive result for us. Although we were well behind at half time we probably should not have been. We had just as much possession if not more than Galway but the wind was strong and we needed to work the ball in close to get the shots away. We did this reasonably well at times (if a little too laboured/slow) but I thought a few lads lacking confidence didn't take the shot on unfortunately. Gunner was subbed for Dunne after about 20 mins, a tactical change I would say as Gunner was our spare man and was getting on a lot of ball which is not his strength. Dunne hit a fine point within a few minutes of his introduction. The peno came from a really strong run from McEnroe who was excellent. The peno wasn't great, lacked power and was at the height keepers like. That sparked Galway into action and they hit a few points to leave it 7-2 at HT.

I had a feeling with the same possession in the 2nd half we could do some damage and so it proved. Niall McD moved out onto the 40. Mackey sat in that area too. Martin Reilly went half back. Mossy Corr really put the squeeze in the middle, Galway were opting for short kick outs all the time. Martin Dunne hit some stunning points out on the left with his left foot, Gearoid hit a nice point, McEnroe and McVitty scored two beauties. Score of the match was Mossy Corr steam rolling through 3 tackles before smashing one over from 45m out.

Galway were getting desperate and seemed totally out of ideas on how to break the mass defense. In fact they were terrible. Basically they ran up the the 45, passed over and back, eventually gave up and took mad shots that ended up as Garryowens dropping randomly inside our 20m line. Maurice Deegan kept them in it with some soft enough frees. In defense Galway left Dunne and later Bud Fitz inside, man to man, and that suited us down to the ground. Bud Fitz showed really well. We nearly capped it with a brilliant counter attack goal in the last minute which incredibly ended with 4 Cavan players breaking at high speed to outnumber Galways defence 5 to 2, McVitty got in one on one but instead of burying it he tried a handpass around the keeper to Bud and over hit it. Next kick Mackey won a free 45m out and Martin Reilly stuck it over and that was that.

I thought it was a great effort but not without mistakes. I'm afraid Conor Moynagh may not be ready for senior football. He is too casual and I think he cost us 3 or 4 points being turned over doing silly hand passes or bringing the ball into contact when there was no need. It will take him some time to get used to the faster, stronger senior football. Conor is still one with huge potential and we should be patient as he develops. He wasn't alone making mistakes though, a lot of Galway scores came from really poor decisions or passes with little or no pressure on. Martin Reilly was also quite wasteful. Mackey on the other hand was sublime with his passing, didn't give a bad one. He makes such a difference. Was also impressed with Bud, out in front of his man and ball sticking. Niall McD a different player in the half forward line running onto ball. McEnroe, R Dunne and McLoughlin also excellent as was Martin Dunne when he came on. A big well done to Martin Dunne by showing how a player should react to being dropped, a lad that has definitely matured.

A win next day has to keep us up in what is an extremely competitive division and that would be a fine achievement with some big players to come in again.

Denn Forever

Good report.  I have to say I almost enjoy the Northern Sound Commentary.  Unbiased they are not but no more the labored anecdotes
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Old yeller

Quote from: mylestheslasher on March 15, 2015, 08:17:39 PM
I owe herself a lot of Brownie points after making the trip to Salthill on Mothers day! However, it was worth it as this was a massive result for us. Although we were well behind at half time we probably should not have been. We had just as much possession if not more than Galway but the wind was strong and we needed to work the ball in close to get the shots away. We did this reasonably well at times (if a little too laboured/slow) but I thought a few lads lacking confidence didn't take the shot on unfortunately. Gunner was subbed for Dunne after about 20 mins, a tactical change I would say as Gunner was our spare man and was getting on a lot of ball which is not his strength. Dunne hit a fine point within a few minutes of his introduction. The peno came from a really strong run from McEnroe who was excellent. The peno wasn't great, lacked power and was at the height keepers like. That sparked Galway into action and they hit a few points to leave it 7-2 at HT.

I had a feeling with the same possession in the 2nd half we could do some damage and so it proved. Niall McD moved out onto the 40. Mackey sat in that area too. Martin Reilly went half back. Mossy Corr really put the squeeze in the middle, Galway were opting for short kick outs all the time. Martin Dunne hit some stunning points out on the left with his left foot, Gearoid hit a nice point, McEnroe and McVitty scored two beauties. Score of the match was Mossy Corr steam rolling through 3 tackles before smashing one over from 45m out.

Galway were getting desperate and seemed totally out of ideas on how to break the mass defense. In fact they were terrible. Basically they ran up the the 45, passed over and back, eventually gave up and took mad shots that ended up as Garryowens dropping randomly inside our 20m line. Maurice Deegan kept them in it with some soft enough frees. In defense Galway left Dunne and later Bud Fitz inside, man to man, and that suited us down to the ground. Bud Fitz showed really well. We nearly capped it with a brilliant counter attack goal in the last minute which incredibly ended with 4 Cavan players breaking at high speed to outnumber Galways defence 5 to 2, McVitty got in one on one but instead of burying it he tried a handpass around the keeper to Bud and over hit it. Next kick Mackey won a free 45m out and Martin Reilly stuck it over and that was that.

I thought it was a great effort but not without mistakes. I'm afraid Conor Moynagh may not be ready for senior football. He is too casual and I think he cost us 3 or 4 points being turned over doing silly hand passes or bringing the ball into contact when there was no need. It will take him some time to get used to the faster, stronger senior football. Conor is still one with huge potential and we should be patient as he develops. He wasn't alone making mistakes though, a lot of Galway scores came from really poor decisions or passes with little or no pressure on. Martin Reilly was also quite wasteful. Mackey on the other hand was sublime with his passing, didn't give a bad one. He makes such a difference. Was also impressed with Bud, out in front of his man and ball sticking. Niall McD a different player in the half forward line running onto ball. McEnroe, R Dunne and McLoughlin also excellent as was Martin Dunne when he came on. A big well done to Martin Dunne by showing how a player should react to being dropped, a lad that has definitely matured.

A win next day has to keep us up in what is an extremely competitive division and that would be a fine achievement with some big players to come in again.
Great report Myles. I'd agree with most of what you said there. I have been very disappointed with Moynagh's form also. I thought he would be one of the lads to really come on and make a big impact on the senior team. He seemed so assured on the ball last year, and his passing was fantastic. I'm sure he will get used to the pace of senior with more game-time, but its going to be hard to come by with his form at the minute. It is a pity not to have him well settled into the team for the championship.
This win couldn't have come at a better time for the team and management in particular. Another loss would have put Terry under a fair bit of pressure. Instead, the management made some good decisions that ultimately won the game for Cavan, so well done to them on that. Last week I was beginning to wonder if the laois and Ros games were flukes, and if the Down and Kildare performances were the real Cavan. I think its fair to say now that we can compete with any team and we are well fit for this division. I would be hoping, like Westside, that we don't get promoted this year to be honest. It's a hell of a jump from Div 2 to Div 1 and I think another year in this tier would do us the world of good.
I didn't think Gearoid really dominated as someone said before, thought he was quiet enough to be honest. Caught a couple of kick outs at important times though.

Westside

Moynagh has always had a tendency to get caught in possession, even underage. He was left as the spare man yesterday so obviously the management see him as the best man to play the free role. His lack of pace could be a worry but he has decent potential so I'd say they'll persevere.

I think Gearoid dominated midfield in the second half. Galway kept going short to keep it away from him, he drove us forward well.
Was very impressed with Rory Dunne yesterday, actually having a reliable full back is some change from the situation we had a few short years ago! McEnroe has been our best player this year so far though for me, thought he swung the game for us in Laois and he was very good in the last few games too.

What about the U21s? Low key build up.. Donegal are apparently very strong. Perhaps the poor Hastings Cup campaign has lowered expectations.

Itchy

Great win, great fight shown. I expect Westmeath will be veryvtough as they are getting desperate for a win. I'm not too worried about Meath either.

U21 will beat Donegal by a goal or so.

rodney trotter

Cavan could be top of the table if it wasn't for poor discipline against Down and Kildare. Although the sending off of Flanagan was very harsh.

Westmeath were beaten comphrensively in the last 2 games, against Meath and Down, they will be going to Cavan in low confidence.

Goodluck to Pats tomorrow, hopefully the wait ends tomorrow.

mylestheslasher

So can someone explain this to me...

Donegal slight favourites to beat Cavan Wednesday- 4/5, Cavan are 5/4

To win the Ulster title Cavan are second favourites at 11/4 while Donegal are fourth at 6/1.

That does not make sense to me!

rodney trotter

Ulster Minor League starts on Saturday,

Armagh (---)

v

(---) Cavan

2015 Ulster Minor Football League Group A Round 1
Athletic Grounds 2:00 PM
Referee: Paul Falloon

Cavan (---)

v

(---) Down

2015 Ulster Minor Football League Group A Round 2
Saturday 28th March Kingspan:  Breffni Pk 2:00 PM
Referee: TBC

Cavan (---)

v

(---) Monaghan

2015 Ulster Minor Football League Group A Round 3
Saturday 4th April .Kingspan Breffni Pk 2:00 PM
Referee: TBC

Will be without the Pats lads if they win  tomorrow, go into the Hogan

Westside

Are all players eligible to play in MacRory eligible for Hogan Cup too? The age limit is no different is it?

rodney trotter

Use to be but not any longer

Old yeller

McRory is u18.5 and Hogan is u-18 i thought. Extra six months in McRory to suit the northern teams

rodney trotter

Pats Maghera had players 18 1/2 in Hogan, the rule was changed asaik in Hogan age limit a few years ago

Pats played in Leinster colleges for 3 years 03-06 as they could compete at that level, brought in transition year plus players repeated so they could compete with the Northern colleges

Old yeller

I didnt know that now. Thats good news for St.Pats then so. I thought they were going to lose a few lads if the won tomorrow. I tried to google it there but I cant find a thing about the age limit! The Ulster colleges GAA website doesnt mention it either.

rodney trotter

No, they won't be losing anyone.

Old yeller

That's deadly. I think they are going to do it tomorrow, its a savage team.