Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rodney trotter

Strange enough move, Balybay are a Senior team if it was for football reasons.

Duckquay

Quote from: Itchy on April 15, 2014, 11:37:10 PM
Lads lads. Why argue with each other when you can rise the Roscommon boys instead? I enjoyed the speech, thought he did very well and he didn't swear unlike Gearoid a few years ago.

I couldn't get over Gearoid reading those swear words off his sheet of paper.

tommysmith

Quote from: rodney trotter on April 17, 2014, 09:54:33 PM
Strange enough move, Balybay are a Senior team if it was for football reasons.

Even if it was for Football reasons how did he manage to get the Transfer its not like it could be legal.

I feel that the GAA is heading to a bad place with doing deals with sky and allowing players move clubs so easily.

mylestheslasher

I think the way it works is that if the clubs or county boards dont care about a player moving then he can pretty well do what he wants as it is up to one of them to refuse to sign it off or object. Maybe Drung decided they had enough of him or maybe they were happy they got a lot of years out of him and didnt want to part on bad terms.

To have a proper system you would really need some sort of all ireland transfer regulator that inspects all transfers, it would be a full time job for someone.

tommysmith

Yeah I think you could be right Myles maybe the club wanted rid it must have been mutal anyway.

He was a good club footballer but never did anything at county level was on of the first that Terry Hyland got rid off when he took over.

rodney trotter

Cavan playing in the white jersey tmorrow, Dublin in black.

Galligan was a committed player but never really shone at senior for Cavan. Was good under age, one of the better players on the u21 team  beaten by Down after et in 05 Ulster final

Mrs mills

So, what can we do on the discussion boards to check the validity of the Sunday Times story that O'Neills has been outsourcing some of its manufacturing to Bangladesh and to implore the GAA to do something about it if true?

comeysfield

A player can move counties/country (to another club in another county) without approval/sign off of Club. It is an automatic process that goes through Croke Park takes roughly 4 weeks not a fecking thing anybody can do about it. If player can prove he has moved. This has been the way in the GAA for decades. It is when you move within the county that it is a difficulty.

We played Drung this year in the real League and they were damn impressive played a running game and they will not struggle that much without there big man. The interesting thing is that he had a very good year for Drung last year and if they had a scoring forward would have made an intermediate final

So Cillian Clarke and Michael Argue are 2 huge positives out of the weekend. Is the Cavan defense plan now starting to get easy to play against. How do we all feel about Roscommon if they just run at us

tommysmith

Quote from: comeysfield on April 22, 2014, 11:38:34 AM

So Cillian Clarke and Michael Argue are 2 huge positives out of the weekend. Is the Cavan defense plan now starting to get easy to play against. How do we all feel about Roscommon if they just run at us

I always though that the defensive plan would not be as effective against the better teams we will have to be scoring 15 or 16 points a game to have a chance against them

mylestheslasher

Losing Moynagh was a 4 point swing against us. He was putting brilliant balls in, we hadn't that quality of passing when he went off. Still, only 1 point and I think the Dubs will win it out as Ros are very open in the backs and they will find it very hard to stop the pace Dublin have. Of course Ros are very good up front so there could be big scores put up.

rodney trotter

Cavan have been creating plenty of chances throughout the League just not been clinical enough. Hopefully now with Keating having a few weeks training under his belt he will be back to his best on Saturday

Westside

Even at his best Keating is far from clinical..

rodney trotter

Not many players are Colm Cooper westside, Keating was in very good form earlier this year before his hamstring flared. He still misses a few but is Cavan best forward

cavanmaniac

Without wanting to take anything away from Cavan's recent return to respectability - about which we all remain proud and delighted, and rightly so -  should we now pose the question about whether the tactics that are taking us so far in Ulster are suited to the different challenges that lie beyond its borders?

I used to dread playing other Ulster sides and longed to play some of the less stifling, negative sides from elsewhere but now while I feel we are well equipped to match any team in Ulster on our day, do we need to broaden our horizons and change it up against other teams?

I'm not stating a strong opinion here, and I'm mindful we haven't been far away at all against Cork and Dublin in the last two campaigns, I'm mostly just musing about the fact that we've won just one All-Ireland U21 semi out of four bites at the cherry, and wondering if it indicates that the defensive game plan that has cracked the Ulster code (at least underage) needs more ambition and tweaking beyond those tempestuous confines?

Would we have the personnel to implement a different gameplan if required? Are we one dimensional? I'm just interested in opinions.

comeysfield

At the weekend I thing it showed we had a limited panel. Put then to turn that around we are building a panel at senior. At senior I think we are starting to get a mix of players where we could start to be a bit adventurous. We still lack out and out natural scoring forwards, Hayes will be a help but possibly early yet. Joe Dillions temperment will have to see how that goes. Chris Conroy from last year's batch may help but is not an out an out scoring forward. SO it looks like this yera we will still need Dunne and Keating to provide 10 scores and then then see what mixture will get us those ovther 4 ~ 7 to scores. That will still leave us averaging around anywhere between 10 and 17 scores. SO the defensive system may well mean we could still fail early on in Ulster put we are respectable and lads are working and playing for each other. Two years ago we were out and out shite that you could not watch. Now the danger is we play such defensive shite that you would not watch us. Right now though we are building building so I would take that we probably need another year or so. To get all the slots filled out we are missing a real centre forward and maybe Half forward that can provide 4 or 5 scores. Argue and McKiernan will help, Givney needs to also start to really play football and see is his place Midfield or as a Full forward where he is a real worker and provider for the team   . This year the objective would have been to get promotion in the league and see if we can get a run in Ulster. Getting a win in Armagh will be a challenge but staying with the defensive system though hard to watch is probably the right choice.