Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mylestheslasher

At the end of the day all that matters is what is in the hearts of the Cavan players tomorrow and I am hopeful they will be raring to go and give Kerry lots of it. IF they come up short then we can still look on this season as a success at numerous levels. If we get to half time level or even winning I think we will win the match.

cavanmaniac

I'd like to know how many Cavan matches Bernard Flynn has seen this year and on what exactly he is basing his opinion.

In fact I'd say there's a lot of journalysis going on this weekend from lads who have been avoiding going to report on Cavan matches all year and so don't have a lot of first-hand knowledge. You can't imagine the lead writers in the newspapers fighting over the two Fermanagh ties, a trip to Derry on a super-busy weekend or worst of all, the game against London.

Let them make their glib, off-hand predictions. Newspapers need to be filled and it probably helps us anyway in terms of low profile and motivation. I still think we'll open a few eyes this weekend, whether it results in a dream victory or not remains to be seen but if defeat it is, I'll be bowled over if we lose by more than three.

CC1

Lets f**king win this! No ifs but or maybes. Believe and you can achieve.
"Hey, don't worry; don't be afraid, ever, because this is just a ride."

CC1

Very disappointing, we left the game behind us in the first half. Kerry were there for the taking in my opinion. Got the tactics wrong and the build up play was far too slow. McDermott had one hell of a game when he came on, unlucky not to start in my opinion. Hopefully the lads will gain experience from today and going by our second half performance I think we will do.
"Hey, don't worry; don't be afraid, ever, because this is just a ride."

tommysmith

I don't think Hyland knows his best team ,we are started today with a weaker team than we had half way through second half.

Good learning experience for everyone though.

rodney trotter

The tactics Cavan played have been the same tactics all year, worked well until now, it was the Cavan passing and error's which were a big let down in the first half. Going man to man with Kerry and they would take you apart. Also slow lateral passing in the first half was very frustrating. McDermott came on and did very well, Dunne didn't have his best game, and didn't react well to being taken off, he was standing behind his man in the second half and deserved to be taken off. Thought Mackey had a brilliant game, and Dara McVeety, and Rory Dunne was very solid at full back, keeping Donaghy at bay. The second have performance was impressive, they didn't give in and it could have been closer only for some poor wides.

Think the occasion probably got to some of the younger players in the first half. They did Cavan proud in the second half.

tommysmith

Thats the end of Hylands first year of his 5 year term and if we have same improvement ever year we will be in Croke Park more often.

Looks like we will have some good options in Midfield next year with Gearoid, Argue and hopefully Greg McGovern can get a good run with U-21's next year he looks like he could be good player. 

mb80b60

Quote from: tommysmith on August 05, 2013, 09:40:38 AM
Thats the end of Hylands first year of his 5 year term and if we have same improvement ever year we will be in Croke Park more often.

Looks like we will have some good options in Midfield next year with Gearoid, Argue and hopefully Greg McGovern can get a good run with U-21's next year he looks like he could be good player.

Is that Greg McGovern from swad?  He's a big fella - has he much football in him?  Where is his best position?

Argue looked decent yesterday alright.

tommysmith

Quote from: mb80b60 on August 05, 2013, 09:44:26 AM
Quote from: tommysmith on August 05, 2013, 09:40:38 AM

Is that Greg McGovern from swad?  He's a big fella - has he much football in him?  Where is his best position?

Argue looked decent yesterday alright.
He is big and strong and is a good fielder of the ball and i will be looking out for him with U21's next year.  Tom Hayes is another player i hope can step up we haven't had a player like him since Jason Reilly.

mylestheslasher

I had a comment planned in my head on yesterdays game but I think it was fairly well summed up by Terry in this article on hoganstand

http://hoganstand.com/cavan/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=198055

We approached the game too conservatively and were too worried about Kerry and I think we can all look back now and see that they are nothing special and we could have really put it up to them. I am glad to hear Terry say this as it shows it is not only the team that is learning but the management too and that is how it should be.

For me our standout players were Rory Dunne, Toasty was excellent, McVitty fearless and again K Clarke tenacious.

All in all it has been a fantastic year for Cavan given where we were and we should be very thankful to all the players and management of all our teams. We got to a semi final in minor with a very young team and only lost by 2 pts to the eventual winners. We won the Ulster U21 again and were unlucky not to force extra time in the AI semi where I am sure we would have won and our seniors went from not winning a game in 4 years in Ulster to having a game plan and a purpose, making the AI quarters, losing the Ulster semi by a point to the eventual winners and all this with an exceptionally young team. Even our U16 team seems to be doing well.

So where next for Cavan? First things first year 2 will be more difficult than year 1. We have made such progress that it will be very hard to make more progress next year. Are we saying an Ulster final is our goal, that could depend on the draw. Certainly we just have to get out of Div 3. I would also have high hopes for next years U21's. Could we get a 4 in a row Ulster - that would be phenomenal and perhaps an AI title? Perhaps I am being too greedy!

Yesterdays games showed up a few things. We still need more strength and more quality in the panel. Gearoid would be a huge addition if he can come back strong. Keating and Martin Dunne have potential but this needs a lot of work. Dunne needs to get stronger and develop the ability to win his own ball. Keating needs to improve hugely on his decision making - the last 2 games he has gone backwards. I also think we need to get some more pacy players involved. Have to say I am really looking forward to next year already and I hope that management team can stay together and keep us moving in the correct direction.

anglocelt39

Bit like the 97 semi final and this years Under 21 Semi Final I think we made the mistake of giving the opposition a bit too much respect . I have to confess I went up there with a slight attitude of hoping we wouldn't get hockeyed and I wonder are some players a bit rueful this morning thinking that Kerry aren't as good as they were made out. Most of us thought Alan Clarke had an outstanding game over the 70 minutes.

Great progress as all levels. We now have a panel of players with serious championship experience some change from the start of the year. Next year there are a number of players from the recent underage setup who should be seriously pushing for starting places as they hopefully get injuries sorted-Gearoid, Barry Reilly, Kevin Tierney and Mooney are ones that come to mind straight away. Conor Moynagh is still under 21 next year and has had serious injury problems but made a massive difference when he came on on the Under 21 semi final so hopefully he can stay injury free.

Just as important there are any number of lads in the 25 year old plus age group who should be looking at what Mackey has done this year-Dermot Sheridan, Ray Cullivan, Barry Watters are only a few. If one or two of those came through it would help things further.

I'd like to think the club championships might get  a bit of a boost this year with the number of players knocking around who have come through the various Under 21 panels. There might even be another McVeety or Enda Reilly to be found who knows.

Great summer hope the lads can push on and get out of Division three next year.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

cavanmaniac

There's still serious potential in the team. I am still very proud of them all. The tactics employed were not so much the problem yesterday as the execution of them...some of the lads froze, got the jitters and we coughed up too much hard-won ball with dreadful passes when building attacks early in the game. The confidence just sagged out of the lads after that. It's also true that we attacked much too slowly and didn't go for the jugular - showed too much respect to a Kerry team that will be exposed by teams with more experience and know-how down the road.

All in all, a good year and it's great to hear Rory Dunne refusing to accept and laurels until there's medals and silverware in the cabinet. These boys will be flat out again next year and with McKiernan hopefully returning in good shape, and McVitty/Veety (what's his name anyway?) and Argue etc. stepping up, I think the future is still blue.

Just to play devil's advocate, anyone concerned that Givney is not all he's made out to be? He seems to go missing when the chips are down, but maybe I am being harsh.

rodney trotter

Would hope Martin Dunne doesn't think he is bigger then the team in future if he is taken off. None of the other subs being taken off reacted like he did. He had a very good year, buts its not all about him.

Dara McVeety is how it's spelt.

Denn Forever

QuoteJust to play devil's advocate, anyone concerned that Givney is not all he's made out to be? He seems to go missing when the chips are down, but maybe I am being harsh.

I think it will be a matter of getting more experience.  He is on a par with Aiden O'Shea.  He'll be good.

How many of that DIT team have gone on to play well for their County team?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

tommysmith

Quote from: cavanmaniac on August 05, 2013, 12:43:41 PM

Just to play devil's advocate, anyone concerned that Givney is not all he's made out to be? He seems to go missing when the chips are down, but maybe I am being harsh.

I would agree with you here.

Some people would say he is a top class midfielder but he won't  be midfield next year barring injuries.  I though Keating did more  in his few minutes out there yesterday than Givney did in all his time.

I think it will be a matter of getting more experience.  He is on a par with Aiden O'Shea.  He'll be good.

How many of that DIT team have gone on to play well for their County team?

He isn't half the player O'Shea is.