Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: tommysmith on February 03, 2013, 04:43:42 PM
Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on February 03, 2013, 04:01:20 PM
Poor start. Monaghan is a must win next week. I don't want to hear any more excuses about "youth" and "team-building " and all that other bollox that has been repeated constantly for the last 18 months  coming from the camp. We need to see a big improvement starting next week.

I'd be afraid of a hammering next weekend.

By all accounts Meath were abysmal today, I wouldn't be terrified of the Mushroom pickers due to their win today.
There are no excuses anymore,We have to start winning and anything less than a win against Monaghan and this season will have turned into complete clusterfuck already and its only February.

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: rodney trotter on February 03, 2013, 07:45:56 PM
Eugene Keating was the only regular missing,along with Ronan Flanagan. But Ronans form wasn't great last year with Cavan, didn't help being switched about a lot, to playing corner back for a few  games in the League to starting Centre Forward in the Championship against Donegal.

Antrims were missing 4 regulars. Including Tomas McCann who is probaly their best forward. Givney will have to start at midfield next week, target man role didn't work that well. Monaghan are strong at midfield with Dick Clerkin and Eoin Lennon, Cavan can't afford to be cleaned out again in the middle.

Who started midfield with McKiernan today? Did Corr start?
Personally i reckon Jack Brady/Eugene Keating/Niall Smith/Barry Reily and perhaps Kevin Tierney will all come into that team once they become available.

rodney trotter

I think it was Pauric Reilly who started at midield, he had to go off injured and was replaced by Corr,

Barry Reilly, Tierney and Jack Brady will all give a bigger scoring threat. Pity Barry and Kevin are injured.
I think they are using the u21's this year as they choose not too in the last 3 years and it probaly cost them

Cavan isn't like Dublin, they need whatever players are available, if they are to make any progress in the League.

tommysmith

Quote from: rodney trotter on February 03, 2013, 10:47:12 PM

I think they are using the u21's this year as they choose not too in the last 3 years and it probaly cost them

It sure did cost them in the last few years and a few of them are needed, but i don't think Hyland is being fair on Peter Reilly either.

Edit: Peter might be happy enough for the lads to have a few games with the seniors , but it was him that didnt want them doing that when he was in charge.

BallyhaiseMan

I'm sure Peter will be happy for them to play in the first few rounds. The Monaghan under 21 game is still 5/6 weeks away isn't it?

tommysmith

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on February 04, 2013, 12:00:10 AM
I'm sure Peter will be happy for them to play in the first few rounds. The Monaghan under 21 game is still 5/6 weeks away isn't it?

Yeah its the 20th March.

mylestheslasher

It was a very disappointing result yesterday and puts the team under pressure now with a really difficult game against Monaghan coming up however lets not lose the run of ourselves. We need to take stock that we were in the bottom 3 of Div 3 last year, got hammered by Donegal and Kildare in the championship and a few others in the league. We have no god given right to be beating Antrim or anyone else. It is going to take time to come right and that is the hard reality of it.

If I was Hyland I'd tweak a couple of things right away. Take Givney out of FF and put him in the middle with Corr. Put McKiernan Ctr Forward. Put Dunne and McDermot in the FF line and start Declan McKiernan in there too. Give primary responsibility to one of our half forwards to get up in support. Our blanket defence will not win us anything and is not our natural game so we need to tweak it to be more adventurous. We need to spread the scores and especially we need our half forwards doing some scoring. If we are to be defensive we need to counter with high speed and power, we are not doing that.

packiedevlin

Damien Reilly started at midfield yesterday. Podge came off injured, any idea how bad the injury is? Corr came on for him and was completely anonymous.

rodney trotter

A player like Ray Cullivan, he has left the panel in the past. But he great strenght to break a tackle. Cavan are lacking players like him in the forwards. Mark McKeever wouldn't be lacking for strenght and Cian Mackey is a lot stronger than 2/3 years ago. Maybe the other forwards have the skil;, but not the confidence  or the power to break a tackle.

rodney trotter

Quote from: rodney trotter on February 04, 2013, 08:15:55 PM
Quote from: tommysmith on February 03, 2013, 11:29:48 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on February 03, 2013, 10:47:12 PM

It sure did cost them in the last few years and a few of them are needed, but i don't think Hyland is being fair on Peter Reilly either.

Edit: Peter might be happy enough for the lads to have a few games with the seniors , but it was him that didnt want them doing that when he was in charge.

That is true, although Georid McKiernan Niall McDermott and Niall Murray played against Louth in 2011 and played against Tyrone in the Ulster Final 2 weeks  later. The fact that it went to the final game of the league last year, and it needed Tipp to beat Offaly to keep Cavan up, showed Cavan needed to be at full strenght during the League.

Jack Brady is probaly the only u21 at the minute I would have starting. Not sure about Killian Clarke yet.
Turloch Moooney if he was fit would probaly be on the team., Connor Moynagh,Dara Sextona nd,Conroy would be worth having on the panel too.

tommysmith

If we are not at full strength or very close to it it will end up in relegation.

tommysmith

I see the celt has posted comments from posters  here and the hoganstand about last weeks match.

I dont think things said by headcases like rodney should be posted in the local papers.

rodney trotter

What did i say, i was just giving my opinion. Nothing against anyone on the Cavan panel, they are all working hard. Not against Mossy Corr either if it sounded like i did.

rodney trotter

gaaboards.ie - there is worse things said on there about the Antrim game. i be postive about Cavan football most of the time., not against the young players, they mightn't be fully developed yet as they are still young.

tommysmith

Quote from: rodney trotter on February 06, 2013, 12:02:42 PM
What did i say, i was just giving my opinion. Nothing against anyone on the Cavan panel, they are all working hard. Not against Mossy Corr either if it sounded like i did.

QuoteAntrims were missing 4 regulars. Including Tomas McCann who is probaly their best forward. Givney will have to start at midfield next week, target man role didn't work that well. Monaghan are strong at midfield with Dick Clerkin and Eoin Lennon, Cavan can't afford to be cleaned out again in the middle.

Just that Rodney.

On another note Cullivans transfer to Lavey is passed.